Sounds like more aggravation than it's worth!

lauriep

Reaction score
I have had zero problems with my phone, but I also have been careful as to what I add. For example, I haven 't done a home replacement because my observation, and gut feeling is that they create problems because they change some core system of the phone. JMO. I only add well rviewed apps and I try to work within the native software as much as possible. I get tired of the complaints here when 95% are just user error. Try it, it's great.

Last edited:

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
I understand what your saying. but since you brought up laptops. lol i bought a laptop a few yrs ago and 6 months later i could of bought 2.5 of them for the price i paid 6 months soon. should i of waiting? who knows. Now speaking of the Droid and should someone wait or just jump in. How many people on here actually "Need" the Droid for business or anything else? and how many people bought it because it was the newest and latest great device/toy out? What i mean is, how many people held off to WAIT for the Moto Droid? Thats what im talkig about. Whats around the corner? The corner maybe being next month? Im not talking down on the moto Droid. im just asking IF YOU KNOW there is something with (so called) better specs coming out in a few weeks, do you just go ahead and buy the one that is out Now or do you wait? You said its weak minded to wait. OR is it Impatient to Not wait? (To be or not to be..) lol just a thought.. so my point is. anyone can buy a product and something better will replace it.. BUT IF YOU know there is a newer or "better" product coming out before you buy the one you have, it is wrong to wait? its one thing to NOT know about it, and its something else to know ahead of time..

HTC has about a hundred phones being released this year. Are you going to keep waiting? People who fall prey to that aspect, have what I call a weak will or weak mental prowess. What I mean is that this is technology....analogies can be made to laptops. Are you not going to buy your new Dell laptop or Macbook because in a few months there may be one released with slightly better specs? You have to have courage and make the purchase.

So say HTC releases a phone in the next two months...what about when Samsung releases one a couple months later? And then what if Apple comes to Verizon a little after that?

Any phone you buy during this generation is limited to this generation. You won't be able to fly to the moon in one phone. This is because most companies do not want to break the trend, speed of development, and cost per device for large scale consumption.

The one thing you can be sure of...Verizon will back the Moto Droid as their number one phone during this generation. [Future Android OS updates..not a problem. With HTC? There will be delays.] HTC will be left to promote and update their own devices and you wonder how much priority they can have when they have phone after phone being released on various carriers.

This was Motorola's last chance to step up and create a top of the line smartphone. Without the Droid, Motorola may have folded. Motorola's sole focus was on the Droid. HTC's is split between 100 different phones.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
DROID for Business

i have sensory overload from smart phone research! i have been putting it off mainly because of all the nightmare stories i read! unfortunately i need to finally get one. have been waiting on the droid due to the pre- release hype, etc.On the road & i need to be able to manage an e bay store, 2 other websites, synced to g mail, multiple email address's, need to attach a pic to an email like i do at home! Just basic functions that seem like they should be covered and built into the phone are not? unless you get an app? even then? just reading this forum for the last few days has practically scared me away from the droid! i'm already a verizon customer and wanted a seemless transition to a smartphone! that must have been in my sleep! need the qwerty, everything the droid offered. But my god, almost every post is a how to on fixing something! does this device come with a manual or just a lot of bugs? please help! I don't know how you guys are dealing with all these issues? how can you run a business with one of these devices with all the time consuming hiccups, & problems? sounds like regular phone calls are an issue! An educated response would be greatly appreciated! though i wouldn't expect anything less! :) Thanks in Advance! i hope this works!

Don't mean to criticize the other responses because I'm enchanted with my DROID, but I think a more qualified response to this question is called for.

The OP above notes that he needs a device to "manage an ebay store, 2 other websites...just basic functions that (should be) built into the phone..." Fair enough. But consider the following...

First, managing a business with a smartphone is hardly a widespread need. Claiming that the DROID should have all the applications "built in" to manage an ebay store and administer websites would burden every user with a massive amount of software they don't need. That's why the app "Market" exists, just as specialized software is not included in every consumer PC or Mac and 3rd party software is needed. To ask a user to configure the phone to meet their specific needs is hardly asking too much.

Does that wealth of options present challenges, especially to the user who simply wants a device to meet his/her needs and doesn't want to become a techie? You bet. Just as it does with a computer. Are there bugs in recently developed applications? Yup. Again, just as there are with new computer applications.

On the other hand, it's a fair question to ask whether the DROID is "ready for primetime" as a business device. I'd say the answer is a qualified yes, but there are probably better choices if "business" is your sole focus. That's why BB's continue to dominate the business market.

For a "corporate" user, for example, the DROID presents some challenges for an IT department used to managing a highly secure wide area network full of BB's. The challenges can be overcome; but for those who have to deal with an unimaginative IT department whose major concern is security, they can be significant.

Can a DROID be used to "manage an eBay store and two other websites?" I suspect it can, but I also suspect a netbook like the HP mini311 that VZ sells would be a far better choice simply from the standpoint of ease of use. I wouldn't use any smartphone for such a purpose.

Are there basic business apps out there? Some. Docs2go is likely essential for dealing with Microsoft Office content and it's available both in a free and a more functional paid version. I haven't used the paid version that supports creation and editing of Msoft Office docs because (again) I use a computer for that. I wouldn't want to edit a complex "doc" or PowerPoint presentation on any smartphone. But that's just me.

Expense tracking software? Yeah, there's some out there but from what I've seen the sophistication doesn't yet rival the apps available for BB's and even the iPhone. I've found most of what I need, but my needs are pretty simple.

Collaboration software for document development involving multiple contributors? I'm not impressed with what I've seen but I suspect that will be coming along soon.

All in all, the Android platform is in its infancy for business applications. I've been pleasantly surprised by how much is already there. At the same time, I'm frustrated by what isn't yet there. I'm happy to "bet" on the future of the platform because I think it has vastly greater potential than either Apple's or BB's platforms. But if a year from now business users are still looking for specialized apps that they need to do their work, I'll be disappointed. And the improvements in music and video management won't matter.

mjs31

Reaction score
I have owned the Iphone, Moto Q9, Palm Treo, BB Pearl, BB Curve, BB Storm, BB Tour and now the Motorola Droid. By far the Droid tops them all IMHO. Learning curve? Yes. Some things I would like to see get updated? Absolutely. Still, I have had 0 issues with calls, texts, missed alerts, phone freezing etc. And as mentioned, the market is growing every day. Amazing asset for me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most complaints with the Droid (while there are some legit gripes) are user error, or lack of searching for a 3rd party app to resolve an issue. It's the way open source goes... if the device doesn't do it, find an app that will. It's simple once you get over the initial overwhelming learning curve :)

boatman2220

Reaction score
You'll see lots of complaints on any forum about a technical device. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Most people that aren't having problems don't post about that. Of all the complaints you've read, how many have not been addressed? New users come here to learn and find out what this phone can and will do. It does way more than I use it for, but, I do want to know all the possibilities. I agree ask what is possible with it and what isn't.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You'll see lots of complaints on any forum about a technical device. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Most people that aren't having problems don't post about that. Of all the complaints you've read, how many have not been addressed? New users come here to learn and find out what this phone can and will do. It does way more than I use it for, but, I do want to know all the possibilities. I agree ask what is possible with it and what isn't.

very true. Most people won't post to say "Wow this phone is great",... they usually post when there's a problem that they're looking for an answer to. So naturally any forum you go in to is going to appear to be nothing but complaints :)

MrTommy

Reaction score
Just go for it!

I was doing the same thing when I fell victim to the Droid ads. "I've got to have it!". Then I found this forum and started 'researching'. Like you, I suffered from information overload. I'm gonna get it - I'm NOT gonna get it - I'm gonna get it - I'm NOT gonna...

My wife was ragging on me because I just sat here reading post after post after post. Finally, she said, "Just get it - you've got 30 days to decide. Get it and quit farting around on that web site!". :biggrin:

So I did. I'm happier than I ever thought I'd be with a phone. Yeah, I've had some 'issues' from time to time, but as someone else mentioned, it's usually user error - my error. And this site usually fixes my problems (real or imagined).

Go for it, and join the party. Overall, this is a great site, and the Droid is a great phone!

FireDroid

Reaction score
I have been wanting a smartphone for awhile just for casual use. I have looked at several of them over the last year from verizon and for me they were all to Buisness like and not enough of the "fun factor". Then the Droid came along and could do all the casual email needs AND had that "fun factor" with all the apps. I love the fact that it has GPS for free, I love that I can add widgets or trash them, I love that I can set up the way my phone looks and acts as far as home pages goes and most of all I kove that I dont have a ton of Vcast crap on there that they try and nickle and dime you for.
My buddy has a pretty good size plumbing buisness and got the Droid for running his buisness while in the field. After 48 hours he returned it for the HTC touch pro 2 because he said it was a more buiness oriented phone and suited his needs better.
You may want to check it out, it has a slide out qwerty keyboard and runs an WIMO OS so if you use windows on you computer it should be second nature on that phone.

boatman2220

Reaction score
I had the Touch Pro when I was with Alltel , switched to the Storm when I made the switch. I hear that the Touch Pro 2 is much better than the original.

LordKastle

Reaction score
When people use the word "business-like" to describe smartphones that are on the market it just makes me wonder. I think that generalization is made because of the interface of the OS like Windows Mobile or Blackberry. Also, the amount of apps and ease of finding them is slightly easier on Android now...BB is making strides but still lags behind. [Obviously BB's are more business oriented to the untrained eye, but beyond the email there is nothing more to it]

I have used Windows Mobile and there is really nothing more "business-like" about the phone. Maybe the Android OS is just more user-interface friendly and that is where this generalization is formed.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here is the best advice you will get on your 1st smartphone:

It's not a phone!

It is a computer that happens to make phone calls.

If you find you need it to do something similar to your last phone, then see if it is able to do so natively, if not, then find an app and use it. As fas as the Droid, if you cant yet find an app, wait patiently, it will come. :)

The above attitude will serve you well as you make the change, and that goes for any smartphone, not just the Droid. Though we all know that's what you want, go get it!

sir2545

Reaction score
I completely understand your complaint about Motorola products. I have been a Verizon customer for years and one of the first phones I owned was the Moto V710....Junk! Then when I decided to make the switch to smartphones, I first bought the Moto Q9M, and after a month I decided the only option was for Verizon to collect all of these phones and burn them. Since then I have owned an Iphone(junk) and mostly Blackberry phones up until the Droid and I have to say I was definitely skeptical. I can promise you that you wont be disappointed with the Droid. It has definitely been a much needed comeback for Motorola and they have done an excellent job with this phone. I say go for it, because if you are coming from a WinMo phone, I think you are going to prolly say WTF was I thinking!

Im in the same boat as you. I was reading about all the issues and it stopped me two times from ordering the Droid online. I have been a verizon customer since 1995, i have had so many Smartphones that i actually lost track. A few things that are in the back of my head have been "my" Motorola Past track record. (not good) and then i keep reading recently about HTC coming out with a 1ghz Android phone. right now i own a Samsung smartphone. I have owned both Motorola and HTC smartphones in the past and i will say for "me" HTC makes a solid product! The reason i left them was i wanted something newer. I still want the Moto Droid, im just afriad that 3-5 weeks after i get my Moto Droid that HTC will release theirs and it will be the NEW latest and greats Droid product, then i will be locked into my Droid for 1-2 yrs. I know you just cant win. Most of my concern is its a Motorola product...

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
THANKS for the positive reply! I also had the moto Q9 i had 3 of them then i swore off Motorola.. i told myself i wouldnt get another moto product then i thought the Q9 would have been improved from the previous moto products that i have owned, at that point i foundout i was Wrong... Except for the Droid when i call verizon and they see i have been when them for almost 15 yrs they are pretty open and honest with me, Most of them over the phone have bad things to say about all Moto product. Except Droid. When i had my Q9 after the 3rd replacement the manager of the verizon store told me i should just try another brand. So i went with Samsung. I love the features of the Droid, Ive just been burnt over and over with Motorola. Even my cable company uses motorola cable boxs and they have bad things to say about motorola. lol please understand im not ragging on them.. im just being truthful about my past with them. But i trust you guys in saying this DROID is a great phone. once again thanks for the reply

I completely understand your complaint about Motorola products. I have been a Verizon customer for years and one of the first phones I owned was the Moto V710....Junk! Then when I decided to make the switch to smartphones, I first bought the Moto Q9M, and after a month I decided the only option was for Verizon to collect all of these phones and burn them. Since then I have owned an Iphone(junk) and mostly Blackberry phones up until the Droid and I have to say I was definitely skeptical. I can promise you that you wont be disappointed with the Droid. It has definitely been a much needed comeback for Motorola and they have done an excellent job with this phone. I say go for it, because if you are coming from a WinMo phone, I think you are going to prolly say WTF was I thinking!

Im in the same boat as you. I was reading about all the issues and it stopped me two times from ordering the Droid online. I have been a verizon customer since 1995, i have had so many Smartphones that i actually lost track. A few things that are in the back of my head have been "my" Motorola Past track record. (not good) and then i keep reading recently about HTC coming out with a 1ghz Android phone. right now i own a Samsung smartphone. I have owned both Motorola and HTC smartphones in the past and i will say for "me" HTC makes a solid product! The reason i left them was i wanted something newer. I still want the Moto Droid, im just afriad that 3-5 weeks after i get my Moto Droid that HTC will release theirs and it will be the NEW latest and greats Droid product, then i will be locked into my Droid for 1-2 yrs. I know you just cant win. Most of my concern is its a Motorola product...

OP
IHOPETHISWORKS!

IHOPETHISWORKS!

Reaction score
Just went for it!!!

I was doing the same thing when I fell victim to the Droid ads. "I've got to have it!". Then I found this forum and started 'researching'. Like you, I suffered from information overload. I'm gonna get it - I'm NOT gonna get it - I'm gonna get it - I'm NOT gonna...

My wife was ragging on me because I just sat here reading post after post after post. Finally, she said, "Just get it - you've got 30 days to decide. Get it and quit farting around on that web site!". :biggrin:

So I did. I'm happier than I ever thought I'd be with a phone. Yeah, I've had some 'issues' from time to time, but as someone else mentioned, it's usually user error - my error. And this site usually fixes my problems (real or imagined).

Go for it, and join the party. Overall, this is a great site, and the Droid is a great phone!
w/ all the Accoutramants ! JUST DO IT!!! I HOPE THIS WORKS!:) LOL! " i hope this works!" C'YA SOON!:motdroidvert: