Sounds like lots of replacements?

Omen87

Reaction score
So, I've been lurking the D3 forums for a couple of days now. I have a Thunderbolt and am thinking of switching to a D3. I have no 4G in my area and probably won't until it goes nationwide. Anyways, my point: I keep seeing people saying they've had a couple of D3s already. Are you all having that many problems with them that they are needing immediately replaced?

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I haven't had any so far. Lovin the phone.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I went through two of them in less than two weeks before deciding to return it for now. I had to wait a day for my replacement. Part of me really hated to return it because it has the potential to be an amazing phone. I'm sure it will be once they get the kinks worked out.

militant

Reaction score
No problems other than a few random reboots on accidental double clicks. Phone's awesome. People who keep getting bunk phones are either installing crappy software, not taking care of their phones, or have really bad luck.

OP
O

Omen87

Reaction score
I've always felt I've been pretty lucky with phones. My OG Droid had its earpiece go out, but that is the only problem I've had. My Thunderbolt hasn't had any problems, I just don't particularly like it. My parents have upgrades next week and my mom wants a TB but doesn't want to pay for it. So I think they are going to do the BOGO on the D3 and I'm going to give her my TB and take the D3.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No problems other than a few random reboots on accidental double clicks. Phone's awesome. People who keep getting bunk phones are either installing crappy software, not taking care of their phones, or have really bad luck.

I must have had bad luck twice because I ran them stock, and I always baby my phones. :rolleyes:

militant

Reaction score

I must have had bad luck twice because I ran them stock, and I always baby my phones. :rolleyes:

I feel for people whose impressions/feelings about the phone have been messed up because of faulty hardware. It's an amazing phone, and In any production run of electronics, there are going to be some bad apples. I understand you being turned off by getting two in a row, but I think if it were more of a widespread issue you'd be seeing more outcry on the forums. I understand your frustration but I see no reason not to give it one more shot.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I feel for people whose impressions/feelings about the phone have been messed up because of faulty hardware. It's an amazing phone, and In any production run of electronics, there are going to be some bad apples. I understand you being turned off by getting two in a row, but I think if it were more of a widespread issue you'd be seeing more outcry on the forums. I understand your frustration but I see no reason not to give it one more shot.

It is somewhat more of a widespread issue. There are plenty of users (users who know how to properly run an Android phone efficiently) who are having the exact same problems. That's why the battery life thread is already at 34 pages and there are numerous random reboot threads. There are a lot of devices out there that are experiencing the same issues, so it's more than just bad luck, bad apples, or user error. Motorola has even hinted at this in their support forums, saying they are working on addressing those two issues.

There is no doubt that the Droid 3 is a more than capable 3G phone. I wanted to love it since it had everything I was looking for in a phone, but it just wouldn't let me. Most new phones these days have their fair share of bugs right out of the gate, and the Droid 3 is no exception. I've been a smartphone user for 6 years, and I've been on the Android train for 2 years spanning five different devices. I know how things go, what to expect, and how to address various things (and if I don't, I know where to look to find the answers). In the past, I would have been willing to wait it out for an update, but for what I need my phone for presently, I can't do that. I'd be more than willing to give it another go once the problems are addressed, but chances are by that time some other floozy will have caught my eye.

Once they get the major bugs out of the way, it will be a knockout 3G phone. It already is for those who aren't experiencing any issues, and once the problems are addressed, it will be for everyone else.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm returning mine, but just to see if the battery life is any better.. mines seems to suck. Especially when people are taking screen shots of 1-2days of use with still some good % left on their phone. I took it to Verizon and all 5 stores here were sold out so they're shipping me one with free overnight shipping. The rep there told me my phone was faulty and discharging the battery when it's not supposed to(with an extended battery, too). So, hopefully this helps. Mine varies from like.. 5hrs till it dies to rarely 10hrs light use. I decided to take it back after last night I let my phone stay on over night from 100% to see where it left off. After about 8hrs of sleep, woke up and my phone had 10% left. My OG Droid would still be perfectly fine for the most part.

Other than that.. GREAT phone. I absolutely love this thing.

neilrl79

Reaction score
mine has been great, a few little things but nothing worth returning the phone about. i'm sure that an update will come along and fix most, if not all, of the issues.

rda990

Reaction score
On my first replacement but might have to get a second replacement, first one had no keyboard backlight and the vibration would randomly stop working, now this ones power button is a little stuck inside and takes 5x as much force to turn the screen on.

Aiesline

Reaction score
Having to get a replacement for mine because of a faulty gps chip. no biggy. Waiting on it to deliver.

SonerAlan

Reaction score
I went to return mine today and they didnt charge me restocking fee..they are shipping a new one to my house and i have to mail the one I had in the same box

GENTANI

Reaction score
Yea I just spoke to a rep, and said just return it just in case. I explained the random reboots, the one black/white screen with some message about downloading app..., and the fact i set my screen timeout to 30 seconds and it resets to Never on it's own 3 times a day. I can pick up a new one for free, just sucks I have to reinstall some stuff.