Sounding muffled. This phone SUCKS

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
And, the reason I started to panic is because I googled the problem and it seems like everyone and their mother is having the exact same problem as I am to a T.

The reason for this is when you Google a specific problem, most of the results you find are going to be from people having the same issue. The hundreds of thousands of people NOT having the issue aren't going to post about it. Keep in mind, people are much more vocal with complaints than they are with praise.

fairoak

Reaction score
Just because there are 25 pages doesn't mean each post is a different user with the problem. It could be the same person posting over and over and over...not trying to be a smart@ss or anything just saying.

If it's any consolation, I just picked up the Droid yesterday and called my answering machine to see how it sounds. Seems clear with a very slight (if any) resonant echo. So maybe if you trade you will get one that works better for you.

r314bd

Reaction score
Yes. Outgoing audio is very poor, and there is no real fix available.

Currently we had:
1. Re-programming (*228, 1 or 2)
2. Turn the call in volume lower
3. Flip speaker phone during the call
4. change Voice Codec to 13K or EVRC-B
5. Remove battery and power cycling the phone

This is only serious flaw I find for this lovely phone.

ok so both my father and I are having this problem on our Droids, and I've tried everything above. I recorded voicemails after trying all of the above options and it appears, as a few people have mentioned, that the mic's "sweet spot" is very limited.

When the phone is in a comfortable position against my ear, my voice sounds incredibly muffled; If I hold the phone directly in front of my mouth, the voice is crystal clear.

I don't really know what to do about this. Is this a defective mic, or are all Droid mics like this? I don't know if a new Droid would necessarily correct this.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Currently we had:

ok so both my father and I are having this problem on our Droids, and I've tried everything above. I recorded voicemails after trying all of the above options and it appears, as a few people have mentioned, that the mic's "sweet spot" is very limited.

When the phone is in a comfortable position against my ear, my voice sounds incredibly muffled; If I hold the phone directly in front of my mouth, the voice is crystal clear.

I don't really know what to do about this. Is this a defective mic, or are all Droid mics like this? I don't know if a new Droid would necessarily correct this.

My phone is crystal clear and nobody has ever complained about not being able to hear me. I can't tell you whats wrong with your phone and it seems you've done everything you can do so it's either take the phone back and get a replacement or another phone if you're still in your 30 day period.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Currently we had:

My phone is crystal clear too. In fact with the noise cancellation mic, this is the best phone I've ever used and I've been using cell phones since the times when their weight was measured in pounds, not ounces, and they were referred to as "Bag Phones".

r314bd

Reaction score
Just called Motorola. The tech didn't believe me at first and thought it could be a Verizon software issue so I said I would prove it to him...I said the exact same sentence once with the phone up to my ear and once with the phone directly in front of my face and he said it was a HUGE difference...told me I could send it in for repair to Motorola (could take 7-10 days) or take it to my local Verizon store...so I'm about to unroot and probably get a replacement or something later today.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just called Motorola. The tech didn't believe me at first and thought it could be a Verizon software issue so I said I would prove it to him...I said the exact same sentence once with the phone up to my ear and once with the phone directly in front of my face and he said it was a HUGE difference...told me I could send it in for repair to Motorola (could take 7-10 days) or take it to my local Verizon store...so I'm about to unroot and probably get a replacement or something later today.

Thanks for the update and good luck.

crspang

Reaction score
Its probably an issue with the noise cancellation software.
There was some discussion of the Droid having a second mic and that some cases blocked the second mics access.
I have noticed with my phone that if I don't speak clearly into the mic that people can't hear me, so I've just adjusted my talking habits accordingly and just dealt with it.

cisco0910

Reaction score
Try this. It may help call quality.

[video=youtube;J6Zyu-LeTes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Zyu-LeTes]YouTube - How To Access Droid Hidden Menu and Improve Call Quality HD[/video]

nhfire152

Reaction score
I had the Muffled Audio Issue

I had the same problem, and almost got rid of the Droid because of it. After some extensive research...here are my findings:

If you use a case...make sure there is a hole on the rear of the case, dead center of the phone, near the headset jack. This is a second microphone. It is designed to cut back on background noise. My Seidio Innocase has a hole cut out for it, but the first case I was using from VZW (the shell & Holster) did not.

Second, watch your hand position. I used to talk with my index finger along the top piece of the phone...mainly because I am used to a flip phone. If you are doing this, you are most likely blocking this second microphone.

I needed to make a few changes to my habits pertaining to the Droid...now my wife doesn't hang up on me when I call her. She hated this phone when I first got it...now she wants one.

Hope this helps!