sound quality - D2 or Dinc?

propwash

Reaction score
I'm new to droids, about to purchase and have it narrowed down to the two. I need to make and email ~20 minute voice recordings. Good sound quality is important to me, but it was hard to tell when I tested them in the noisy verizon store. Has anyone compared this on the 2 versus the incredible?

tobytl

Reaction score
You're really not going to get a fair consensus on this issue. Sound quality is incredibly subjective, and it actually varies depending on the user. For instance, I sound perfect on a D2, but my sister is a bit hollow. And neither of us sound good on a DInc, but my cousin sounds awesome (same DInc).

No idea if it's the vagueries of noise cancellation, the shapes of our heads in comparison to the phone shape, the modulation of our voices compared to the sensitivity of the mic... No idea.

The only way to really know is to really test it for yourself. If you get it in store, you get 30 days to change your mind and pick up the other one, or cancel your contract altogether. But if you're asking my opinion, for me, the D2 is better than the DInc.

OP
P

propwash

Reaction score
Thanks tobytl, that's good information. Is the difference in sound quality a matter of male vs. female voice?

Would you say more about D2 being better for you? I'm really on the fence here between the two, even wondering if I should hold out for the enigmatic Pro. I've always had a phone with sliding keypad - not that i'm unwilling to learn to use touchscreen.

SID KELLY

Reaction score
I briefly had the Droid 1 when it first came out--then went back to the Blackberry. Got the Droid Incredible when it first came out--had several issues, including sound quality. Exchanged the Incredible for the Droid2 and LOVE it, including the sound quality!dancedroid!

tobytl

Reaction score
Ya know, it actually might be. It seems so far that those with higher pitched voices have come across a bit hollow using the D2 mic in my limited testing. Of course, my sample size is far too small to make conclusions, but so far yea.

On the DInc, my voice comes across with tinny static, which may be covered up by higher pitched voices as well (my cousin has one of those super high pitched girl voices, it's actually grating in long stretches).

But like I said, hop by a store and grab one. Within the first 30 days, you can switch phones no questions asked, and even cancel the contract outright if you're not happy with either of them. You do actually have to go to a corporate vzw store for all that though, so make sure it's actually a Verizon location and not an authorized reseller.

OP
P

propwash

Reaction score
Well, I've had it with Previous Carrier, and transferred our family plan. I went with the 2, and my son with the incredible, big surprise. We'll do an n = 1 comparison in each group and see how it goes with the sound.
Ah, to have reception again.