Sound Problems with Ringer and Alarm

groovejedi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Something strange happened a few days ago, my phone no longer rings when someone calls and my alarm doesn't make sound in the morning. When someone calls, the phone vibrates. My settings are all correct, I don't have silent mode or anything. I have not heard my phone ring in several days and keep missing calls. Anyone have any ideas as to what this might be?

Droid X

Thanks!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Something strange happened a few days ago, my phone no longer rings when someone calls and my alarm doesn't make sound in the morning. When someone calls, the phone vibrates. My settings are all correct, I don't have silent mode or anything. I have not heard my phone ring in several days and keep missing calls. Anyone have any ideas as to what this might be?

Droid X

Thanks!

Just making sure, pointing out the obvious here but on your volume control is it turned up? If you set it all the way down accidentally that may cause this.

OP
G

groovejedi

Reaction score
Yes volume is all the way up, Ringer is on, Alarm on. Everything is correct in the settings as far as I see it. It was bad enough that the sound wasn't very loud but now it's not working at all! I still get sound for text messages. I was late to work this morning because the alarm never sounded!

OP
G

groovejedi

Reaction score
Seriously? WTF? That's pretty outrageous. I'm certainly not going to do a factory reset. Motorola is really starting to get on my nerves.

Slothead

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Droid X

Thanks!
The same thing just basically happened to my Droid 1. I solved it (temporarily) by deleting the call log. I want my call log, so there has to be a better fix. Verizon (local tech support) can't figure it out either. What mine does is ring and vibrate on the first occurrence of a call from a specific phone number. The second time that number calls, the screen just lights up (standard receiving call display) but no ring or vibe. If I delete the call log, everything works fine until that number calls again. I suspect 2.2, but can't prove it and apparently can't reload 2.2 without a hard reset (which I don't want to do yet - and that may not even really reload 2.2).

... edit ...

OK I solved my problem, and while clearing the call log might work, I think it was because the call filter was checked to "Control specified numbers" and below that "Add the last incoming number" appeared. I unchecked "Control specified numbers" and it appears to be working correctly.

Slothead

Reaction score
Where can I find that setting?
My reference will only be for the Droid 1 (I don't have my X yet), but on the 1, you open the applications window and look for CallFilter. Open it and you will see the check boxes and condition entries. I wish I could describe it better and I hope it works the same on the X. Good luck.

OP
G

groovejedi

Reaction score
This issue is still on my Droid X and has actually become worse since installing Launcher Pro. I cannot hear the phone ring at all when someone calls and my alarm clock volume is so low that it doesn't wake me up in the morning.

This issue is complete BS. Is there anyone that can help me fix this?

Slingnutt

Reaction score
I've found on the forums that there's something going on right now (since the 2.2 update) about people losing their ringer. My ringer doesn't work and it only vibrates. My notifications and EVERYTHING else work, but there seems to be a bug in the update. I found this thread looking for a solution, but apparently, VZW is on it already.

I'm not liking the fact that I have a phone that I have to check every 2 seconds when waiting on a call, or in case of an emergency. VZW and or Motorola need to get something out QUICK. Makes you wonder if they've made the "smart phone" to be smarter than the programmer? I know I didn't have this kind of trouble with ANY of my Blackberrys

Slingnutt

Reaction score
Just an update....I did a factory hard reset on my phone last night. It worked.....pissed me off I had to do it, but it's ringing again. It's the only thing I found so far that has worked. I'm not gonna sit and wait on Motorola to get off their butts.

rickreno

Reaction score
My ringer stopped working, I tried a few factory resets - didn't work. It'd been off a week and I was on an airplane and put the thing in airplane mode, plane landed and I turned off airplane mode and the ringer started working. It kept working until they sent me my new phone. Beats me what it was.

OP
G

groovejedi

Reaction score
Anyone have any update on this issue? I'm going on a month now with no ringer and 2 alarm clocks that barely make any sound and usually don't wake me up. I really do NOT want to do a factory reset as I've taken a decent amount of time installing all of my apps and getting Launcher Pro to give my phone the look and feel that I want (in addition to using Beautiful Widgets, Folder Organizer, Pure Calendar, etc).

PLEASE, can anyone help with this issue?

rickreno

Reaction score
Did you try putting it in airplane mode and then back to regular mode? Mine started ringing after that - the 3 factory resets the Verizon people had me do didn't do anything.
When my ringer was not working I got one of those bluetooth things you stick in your ear - I used a Jawbone - and it worked well and at least I could answer calls.

slyspyder

Reaction score
Are you on smart profile?

I was having this issue after I tried out the "smart profile" feature that turns your phone on vibrate when placed face down. Well, after that--even after turning off--I couldn't get the ringer to work! After much googling, I got it fixed. Go to--settings--sound & display-- scroll to the bottom and make sure smart profile is checked. Pull out the battery and replace. Then hold the phone in your hand face up--call yourself from another phone--do NOT answer it--flip your droid face down--then flip it face up and give it a relatively hard shake--you should feel a jolt. Then end the call from the other phone. Go into your settings--sound & display--and unchceck the smart profile option. Try calling yourself again and see if it doesn't fix it.

I know it sounds weird, but that is what fixed mine after many other methods tried. There apparently is a bug in the smart profile feature that will be fixed at froyo upgrade.