Sound notification issue due to new update?

DonM

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Can't say for sure, but it happened around the same time. I've searched all over the net for fixes for issues for my Galaxy s6. Seems like many people have same issues but the solutions won't fix my issue. When I receive text messages they only come thru with vibration, no sound. This only happens with text messages, app notifications still work with sound and oddly enough has happened with my GF phone too at same time shortly after new update.

To be clear, I've checked all settings numerous times and each setting is on or in the correct setting to receive sound notification when incoming text arrives.

Thoughts?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum! Are you using the stock text messaging app that came with the phone?

Whether you are or aren't, have you tried downloading another texting app to see if it has the same problem?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
D

DonM

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes,stock app. I will try a different app abd report bsck.

OP
D

DonM

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Didn't fully install text app because of the hassle of signing up and using a different number ect... because both my gf and I are having the same issue it has to be the new update?

Samsung wasn't very helpful and walked me thru steps I'd already tried...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Signing up and using a different number? No. Try Handcent or Go SMS or Textra. Those apps let you use your carrier number and just replace your stock texting app.

What update are you referring to? An android update, or an update to your texting app? I've never heard of an android update breaking notifications for one app, but not others.

OP
D

DonM

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The most recent android software update and the same issue happens with handcent app

OP
D

DonM

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Battery doesn't last nearly as long

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You might consider doing a factory reset. That's been known to fix a lot of issues with OS updates in the past. Be sure to backup any pictures and other data that you don't want to lose if you decide to do one though.

OP
D

DonM

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Factory Reset is something to consider but not sure I'd go to that length for this one small issue. Oddly enough I woke up this morning to the sound working now. I did not change a single setting on the phone and I'm completely stumped right now. My gf phone appears to still have the same issue, however when she woke this morning her phone prompted her with a new update. Not sure which software update it is just yet. We both have the same phone, but different carriers and my software update normally comes roughly two weeks after hers

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That just makes a strange issue even more strange. Hopefully yours will stay and your gf's will be fine with the update. I've still never heard of an OS update causing an issue like this, but as long as it's working for you now, we'll cross our fingers for her phone.

OP
D

DonM

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The issue was with an antivirus app that wasn't supported with recent software update. Many friends and family had the same issue.

Thanks

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks for letting us know! Do you mind sharing the name of the app in case others find themselves in the same situation?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
D

DonM

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
CM security