Sorry to say goodbye...

Discussion in 'UltimateDroid' started by craigs93, May 4, 2011.

1. craigs93

craigs93 Member

I really hated to do it, but I had to put my phone (Droid 1) back to stock. Ever since GB came out, I have felt that I had a toy that didn't quite work, rather than a phone. Everything looked great and scrolling was superb, but nothing really worked well. Navigation kept losing GPS, The phone would crash if a call came in while in Nav, random app crashes, random reboots, ADW and Launcher Pro had SERIOUS lag issues.
    I rebooted, re-flashed, wiped everything with TI, with Nandriod and with clockwork...same problems. Tried over 5 different Kernals from different devs. I wasted over 10 hours trying to get a stable phone.
    When I missed a critical phone call from my job because the phone crashed (again), I went home, and reverted back to stock.
    I have to admit that I was surprised how well the phone works. I have only had one app crash (known issue with the app, not the kernal or ROM), I was able to keep most of my apps, and everything just WORKS.
    I will keep an eye on UD and will hopefully take the plunge again if and when I upgrade my trusty D1. But considering the problems with the D1 and GB...Sorry!!
  2. Apprazer

Apprazer New Member

I hear what you are saying and have been gathering information and files to revert back to something. Too many problems, but I give all GB based ROM developers a ton of credit for getting us very close. I'm starting to accept the D1 has it's limitations.

Anyhow, I'm thinking about just going back to 2.5 for a while and then back to stock if necessary. But 2.5 was very stable on my phone.
  3. wallratt

wallratt New Member

Same thing for me as well. Gb does not like my phone but i will never go back to stock. I am sticking with U.D. 2.5 It runs super smooth for me and not a single problem. Im runing 2.5 with RZR recovery and chevy's 1.2 lv kernel. Getting quadrant scores in the mid 1600's and could not be happier.
    Thanks to Black Droid and ChevyNo1
  4. 561427

561427 New Member

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  5. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member

Welcome back! Don't feel bad about going back to stock. I've been on stock since I got my DroidX over 6 months ago. I considered rooting, then decided against it.

The phone has to be able to do some basic things without the need to hack it:
    Proper backups/restores
    Screenshots
    Some system level stuff (startup configuration, etc)

I can do the above on a Linux PC without root privilege, hacks or custom ROMs.
    Is that too much to ask of Google for Android?

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app
  6. mtnbkrbob

mtnbkrbob New Member

the funny thing is my og droid 1 ran fantastic on ud3.3 it actualy made it run better. i think its true that every device is different. what works on my droid will make your droid crash. but the funny thing is i just switched to the thunderbolt and couldnt wait to root and debloat and just make it mine.
  7. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie New Member

Why go back to stock? Why not just load up a froyo Rom?

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk
  8. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

this entire thread makes no sense.

i'm going to get out of here now.
  9. shmoo

shmoo New Member

Have to say I'm with the guys above. I ran many different GB ROMS and skads of kernels just trying to find something that would work. I finally got fed up with having to always fidget with my phone. So I went back to 2.5 and fell in love with my phone all over again.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  10. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I was thinking about this too...i don't remember how ud 2.5 was but did it have the theme chooser? or was that a gingerbread only thing?
  11. Apprazer

Apprazer New Member

It's pretty simple, GB isn't running as solid as we would like on the D1, so we're going back to a more stable operating system. Make any sense now?

No, you have to flash themes under 2.5, theme chooser is a GB thing.
  12. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

Sourcery 2.2 is a Froyo based rom with a built in theme chooser, kernel chooser, bootanimations chooser and much more.

I to was on several GB roms and with all the effort put in to them none would work smoothly on my phone.

Link to Sourcery for whoever is interested, best Froyo Rom out there. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sourcery-rom/128957-sourcery-rom-2-2-a.html

If you decide to try it, download 2.0 first and then 2.2 and gapps. Don't flash 2.2 right away, it will put you in a boot loop.
  13. Uzzo

Uzzo New Member

Shouldn't tried cm7 worked good on my D1 but not so well on my Thunderbolt :/
  14. 561427

561427 New Member

Sourcery huh? Ill have to look into that because now that im back, all the cool stuff that existed back then have dead link to the files that were uploaded. Themes, original apps, custom docks that I find are usually dead.
  15. ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB Member

Im not gunna be like everyone else and agree, but i have to agree with GB roms tripping on the Droid. HOWWEEEVER, I flashed Liquid's new rom last night and I must say, IT IS FLY! I think it's worth the shot. It is working ALOT better than UD, PE, BB, ZZ, XX, TT, YY and all the GB roms created. I appreciate the work everyone has done, but maybe my phone likes Liquid.
  16. Apprazer

Apprazer New Member

I think you just did :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not busting on the ROM, I love 3.3.1 and all that it brings. And I think the OP is just sad that he had to give up on GB, I know I will miss it terribly. I am just having too many little issues that I really didn't experience under froyo. For example, I use swype as my keyboard. Tried all the others and it's the best for me. Anyway, the swype feature (which is why I use it) goes away after a few days and I'm hunting and pecking like a standard keyboard until I uninstall/reinstall. Not a biggee, but doing it twice a week really sucks.
  17. ItsTrentB

ItsTrentB Member

[Ssshhh. Come on man, I know I agree'd.. Just didnt wanna be a twin and agree to everything] Lol..

Have you tried Liquid 1.8? I havent had not one problem yet. I know this is Ultimate Droid's forum but give it a shot. Never hurts.:icon_ banana:
  18. 561427

561427 New Member

UD is where my phone grew up for just over a year now. I have seen a lot come into development like the whole couple weeks of ROM manager. I cannot find another ROM that has the custom settings like UD. Its the most intuitive for me.

I have a few bugs with 2.5 and I am more happy with old school than GB but I guess the grass is always greener for me. lol...
  19. robbienick

robbienick New Member

in fact, ud3.3.1 does not seem to like my d1, either. but ud3.3.0 is working flawlessly. nobody has the same experience???

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  20. winner00

winner00 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Did you only use UD? You should try another rom like CM7. CM7 has the latest and greatest and seems to run the best. I haven't had a single problem with it. I am running my own custom build of it so I have a few of my own custom changes.