Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file.

TrishtheDish

Reaction score
After watching this issue: Issue 8730 - android - Android 2.2 no longer able to play WAV files (voice-mail attachements) - Project Hosting on Google Code
develop for a while now, I decided to call Verizon to complain/document/point out that there is a clear problem after the 2.2 OTA update.

Like others, I receive Vonage and work voicemails to my gmail account in the .WAV format. Nothing specific here, just a CCITT u-Law 8KHz 16-bit Mono Uncompressed file that has been used for many many years by the telecom industry.

I spoke to tech support at Verizon who took my information and stated that I needed to speak with Motorola. The dude transferred me over to tech support, and I started my journey to a resolution again. After talking to one dude that didn't even know what a .wav file was, he transferred me to "level 2 technical support" where some chick named Melissa told me that this is a known problem and that there will be a "flash sent out shortly to resolve it." Thinking she was mistaking a new OTA update for the later OTA update for the flash compatibility, I asked her to clarify. She stated that Android 2.2.2 has begun to be released and that it should fix my problem... hmmmm

I did not believe her, so I decided to call back to see if I could get the same answer from someone else. This time I went through level one, on up to "level 2 tech support" once again. I spoke with a woman named Maryanne this time who informed me that their device will no longer support .wav files. She then proceeded to tell me that Google makes the OS and tells Motorola what their devices will do... all after asking me if I have checked with the maker of the program I was trying to use [facepalm] I simply told her that I highly doubt Motorola would roll over on their backs and let another company tell them what their devices can and cannot do, especially when taking away features. Google does not have the be all, end all call over what code runs on their device. I then decided to tell her that I had received conflicting information on my last call. She put me on hold, then came back stating that 2.2.2 is in fact being released currently, but she cannot guarantee that it will fix my problem.

So how should we look at this?

I have filed this under "I'll believe it when I see it."

Now, if you root the device, is there a way to gain the ability to play .wav files again? Is there a way to obtain the proper codec and implement or install it somehow?

OP
E

Exabachay

Reaction score
so... it WAS fine... and then with the LATEST update a few days ago it pooped on my music files again... i tried powering down and back on again. brought up the music player (default) it froze, shut off and booted up again... this time working... no need to pull out sd card btw.(this time) mere irritation... im beginning to worry about my "smart" phone. GL peoples...