Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file.

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Exabachay, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Exabachay

Exabachay New Member

with the new update, my music player wont accept any format but mpeg. will i have to reformat ALL of my music? Also, it wont play videos anymore. all i use is youtube.

Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file. is the error message it gives me.

any ideas?
  2. Steve H

Steve H Member

Strange, I have the new update and mine plays WMA files.
  3. Exabachay

Exabachay New Member

Mine wont play anything i have bought off of iTunes. It's pretty irritating... to think i might have to go back to my iPod...:icon_eek:
  4. mikeyd08

mikeyd08 New Member

I think this a DRM issue. I have dozens of WMA files and they all work. However, I never drank the iTunes kool aid.
  5. Exabachay

Exabachay New Member

im not really sure what that means, what am i supposed to do to fix it?
  6. Exabachay

Exabachay New Member

So, i guess DRM means patience? because now all of my music plays again, along with youtube. thanks, all.
  7. lea273

lea273 New Member

music player

I have had the same problem. You have to take out the SD card and put it back in. then it works fine....however.....It continues to happen, and I am irritated that I keep having to do this. Hopefully there will be a fix, cause it has only happened since the upgrade.
  8. actorhjh

actorhjh New Member

Same issue

I have had a similar issue with my Gmail voicemail files. I posted a thread about my Vonage voicemail sending a .wav file to my gmail and now after 2.2 update my phone says it wont support that format. Had a response that said that it only supported some types of .wav files, we still don't understand that one!
  9. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

Yeah I always get a copy of my voicemails through my Exchange account and they always played just fine until the update. What gives Google? Better Exchange incorporation, degraded audio file support?
  10. cid`

cid` New Member

try rebooting your phone too.. im starting to get that alot.. i think its one of the services that crashes or gets stopped by the task manager that is needed to play certain file extensions
  11. m3shelly

m3shelly New Member

why this?

This morning, my alarms goes off, at its normal time, but I get a beeping alarm, and not The Great Gig In The Sky, as its setup to play. I was curious, but forgot about it, until a friend at work asked about his alarm volume on his new Droid X, and said it was very low for an alarm. I then opened my alarm, and it was set to play the audio clip, but gave me that same error message! At least it substituted the beeping alarm, and didn't allow me to miss work!

I hope they rectify this issue. I will go back to 2.1 if I have to screw around to play music. I noticed this immediately after I downloaded 2.2, when the phone wouldn't play a .mpeg clip online, but I assumed it was corrupt or something. And, I had previously downloaded that clip before the ota 2.2 bricked my phone. I was able to play the clip on the phone, but only after downloading to my home computer and then to the phone. My alarm worked fine for over a week now after that, and just screwed up today... odd.
  12. GeLopez

GeLopez New Member

And what does bricked means? Lol
    Sorry you are having problems, mine plays mp3,3gp,wma, m4v and others
  13. m3shelly

m3shelly New Member

bricked

Bricked just means not much more use than a brick... when I received the ota update to 2.2, my phone locked up and I received a new phone. That's all.
  14. Too-Swift

Too-Swift New Member

yeah, this is really annoying. It works one minute and not thenext. this needs to be fixed right away.
  15. cj5 buggy

cj5 buggy New Member

can't believe the voicemail from exchange doesn't work. :(
  16. TrishtheDish

TrishtheDish New Member

After watching this issue: Issue 8730 - android - Android 2.2 no longer able to play WAV files (voice-mail attachements) - Project Hosting on Google Code
    develop for a while now, I decided to call Verizon to complain/document/point out that there is a clear problem after the 2.2 OTA update.

Like others, I receive Vonage and work voicemails to my gmail account in the .WAV format. Nothing specific here, just a CCITT u-Law 8KHz 16-bit Mono Uncompressed file that has been used for many many years by the telecom industry.

I spoke to tech support at Verizon who took my information and stated that I needed to speak with Motorola. The dude transferred me over to tech support, and I started my journey to a resolution again. After talking to one dude that didn't even know what a .wav file was, he transferred me to "level 2 technical support" where some chick named Melissa told me that this is a known problem and that there will be a "flash sent out shortly to resolve it." Thinking she was mistaking a new OTA update for the later OTA update for the flash compatibility, I asked her to clarify. She stated that Android 2.2.2 has begun to be released and that it should fix my problem... hmmmm

I did not believe her, so I decided to call back to see if I could get the same answer from someone else. This time I went through level one, on up to "level 2 tech support" once again. I spoke with a woman named Maryanne this time who informed me that their device will no longer support .wav files. She then proceeded to tell me that Google makes the OS and tells Motorola what their devices will do... all after asking me if I have checked with the maker of the program I was trying to use [facepalm] I simply told her that I highly doubt Motorola would roll over on their backs and let another company tell them what their devices can and cannot do, especially when taking away features. Google does not have the be all, end all call over what code runs on their device. I then decided to tell her that I had received conflicting information on my last call. She put me on hold, then came back stating that 2.2.2 is in fact being released currently, but she cannot guarantee that it will fix my problem.

So how should we look at this?

I have filed this under "I'll believe it when I see it."

Now, if you root the device, is there a way to gain the ability to play .wav files again? Is there a way to obtain the proper codec and implement or install it somehow?
  17. Exabachay

Exabachay New Member

so... it WAS fine... and then with the LATEST update a few days ago it pooped on my music files again... i tried powering down and back on again. brought up the music player (default) it froze, shut off and booted up again... this time working... no need to pull out sd card btw.(this time) mere irritation... im beginning to worry about my "smart" phone. GL peoples...
Search tags for this page
android player does not support this type of file
galaxy note 3 sorry the player does not support this type of
galaxy s5 said sorry the player does not support this type of audio file
note 3 your music player doesnt support this
player does not support that type of audio file
sorry the device does not support that type of media

sorry the player does not support

sorry the player does not support this type of audio

sorry the player does not support this type of audio file ga

sorry the player does not support this type of audio file samsung verizon
sorry the player not support