Sorry, Tether question.

SHAK3R

Reaction score
Alright I'm full of some newb questions.

Droid 1 - Non rooted.

I've searched the forum and can't find my answer exactly. Tried and Liked PdaNet, would like to continue using it however unsure of the data use. I read a response saying you need to be rooted to Verizon can't tell, I've read that its fine to use and fine to use but monitor your data usage.

Please help me with this. Thanks.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Technically it is against your agreement with Verizon to tether your phone to a device to connect that device to the internet. However, Verizon does not give us Droid 1 owners a way of doing this legally, even if we want to. So most Verizon techs/reps will tell you it is ok to tether as long as you don't use an insane amount of data. I was told don't go over 5 GB and they won't care by several different reps. I even asked if I could just pay for the tethering plan for the Incredible because I wanted to be safe - they said they couldn't do that.

If you use less than 5GB of data you will most likely be safe. There are many of us doing this and we have been doing this for over a year. There are also those using 50+GB of data tethering their phone, and we haven't had any stories of Verizon going after them. But once Verizon decides to do this, they will be the first to fall.

D

dankarlinski

You need to be rooted for it to work. Verizon monitors data useage. As it is mentioned above, you can do it pretty safely as long as you don't use a whole lot. I tether on my d2 and use the data on the phone itself all the time. My monthly data useage is usually around 9-11gbs a month roughly. No one have ever even questioned me.

From my Liberated Droid 2 (Liberty v 1.0)

Wadman

Reaction score
I am not rooted. Just got my DX about 2 weeks ago. Downloaded easytether to it. Had some issues getting it to work but after reading the fine print, I figured it out. I tethered with easytether on my OG droid as well. Havent seen many issues with easytether. I have never tried PDA....Do you mean you have to be rooted to use PDA? I use about 5-6 gigs a month which isn't too bad.