Sorry if repeat...but I couldn't find this topic elsewhere.

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
I understand the DualCore tech is keeping my D3 running pretty dang good, but why is my available memory always shooting so LOW after only running even the simplest of applications? I haven't rooted this one yet so I'm not overclocked. Im just disappointed, maybe only because I don't fully understand the DualCore yet....at the same time, I don't get this issue with my X2, however it is rooted and overclocked. Just lookin for insight. Thanks guys!

Proud owner of Droid3, Charge, and X2.

OP
MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
ALSO, I haven't installed any ROMs on the X2, and one more error I'd like to mention is that I keep getting "Insufficient Memory" errors on half the apps I attempt to download....but ONLY on my D3. Any ideas? AND I KNOW I'm not running anywhere near low on memory.

jaycbrf4

Reaction score
You are confusing Processor Memory, or RAM with App storage space... What exactly is your question?

Does your DROID 3 run slow or do you not have any space on your SD card for App storage? Memory is such a generic term...

Reaction score
(assuming your question is "how come app I never started are sitting in memory")
short answer: it's not "low". It's running as it should, don't worry about it...

Long answer:
RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
Android is picking apps it thinks you will use and just keeps it in memory because it costs the same amount power to write it to memory than it does to just keep it there. Thus for user experience and speed, they chose the "faster" option which in reality is only a few milli-seconds(plus the speed of the bus/sd card rating) that eventually add up to a second here or there.

Anything before android 2.1(I think?) RAM managing was horrible, thus all the task auto-killers that actually helped battery life. But since then, we've had awesome built in task handling that actually works really well and should just be left alone.

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
a simplified read for why task killers suck

Fr33dom

Reaction score
To add to the excellent post by Saik0Shinigami, You seem to be confused about dual core which refers to how many processor cores exist and has nothing at all to do with storage or memory.

OP
MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
Fantastic responses, I appreciate it folks! I think that's it, that I was confusing the true purpose of the core. The second question is why, when I try to install most apps, it downloads then upon starting the install process, it cancels and says I have insufficient memory. It's annoying! Phone is still fresh with few installed apps!

Reaction score
Fantastic responses, I appreciate it folks! I think that's it, that I was confusing the true purpose of the core. The second question is why, when I try to install most apps, it downloads then upon starting the install process, it cancels and says I have insufficient memory. It's annoying! Phone is still fresh with few installed apps!

When was the last time you restarted your phone? Also under settings>storage, what does it say under available space?

OP
MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
10gigs internal available...and I tried a full recovery boot and standard battery pulls.

Reaction score
10gigs internal available...and I tried a full recovery boot and standard battery pulls.

I meant under under, application storage> available space my bad for not being clear. I didn't even realize it.

OP
MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
No problem .... that one is 1.50 gigs

pistacio

Reaction score
Try moving any apps that are in the "media area" back to internal storage. Settings> applications> manage apps

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

OP
MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
Isn't that just going to make that available storage even less?

pistacio

Reaction score
Yes, but D3 owners reported that keeping apps in the media area makes the phone sluggish and more " low memory" messages.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums App

OP
MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
Okay I'll give it a shot.....I'll post back with the results. However, if this DOES work..then I'll be exchanging this for a Nexus...because that's a ridiculous bug.

OP
MegaSlammo

MegaSlammo

Reaction score
Okay
...tried it...got the same result. The heck?!