Soooo............ About that Bootloader.................

armoayjay

Reaction score
So I know that the gs3 has been cursed by the big V with their placement of testicle clamps (locked boot loader). I have been searching around and have heard of some methods to install a custom kernel and possibly install custom rooms?

Can someone please elaborate, not just me but for all the other people just like me that have been painfully been waiting for news if it will ever be possible to install custom roms.

And to elaborate on painful.... I have an upgrade waiting for me, has been for 4 months, (was saving it for gs3) but after shattering my dinc screen I don't think I can last......

Thinking about a nexus, but id still love to have a gs3....idk I know I'm rambling I've just waited so long and feel like I being emotionally raped(too much?)

Sorry if anyone can share their knowledge it be much appreciated

So yeah someone break the ice and get this post rolling , I would like to know if I'm the only one going loony over this ?

thelopenator

Reaction score
yeah i can over clock use odin located here: New Odin for s3 available for download - xda-developers to gain root access. You will need to install CWM afterwards by pushing it through with ADB. You will also need all the drivers. They can be installed by using Kies. Just press the Troubleshoot option in Kies. Then you are set. So Odin=root ADB=CWM.

Last edited:
OP
A

armoayjay

Reaction score
Oh I see sorry im still a custom to thing from my og Droid days...

So I guess that after installing cwm u can basically do whatever you want and the locked boot loader shouldn't be a concern? Please correct me if I'm wrong

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh I see sorry im still a custom to thing from my og Droid days...

So I guess that after installing cwm u can basically do whatever you want and the locked boot loader shouldn't be a concern? Please correct me if I'm wrong

The locked bootloader still causes issues but because of the way Samsung encrypted the device, devs have found some workarounds. As I understand it, when you install a kernel, it replaces your recovery on the S3 and you have to boot to your recovery each time before booting to the OS if you want to use the kernel. Now keep in mind this is my limited understanding.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Exactly, syndicate.

I'm told that, unless you're dead-set on using CWM, you can use the TWRP installed via the Goo Manager -- no need for ADB, so far less risk of borking the phone!

thelopenator

Reaction score
There's actually a app in the play store. It does the adb commands for you to get cwm. Only the Verizon version though

Reaction score
right now all the verizon custom roms are just like stock but stripped down and more usable.

Last edited:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the locked bootloader put a hindrance on the possibility of AOSP ROMs?

Last edited:

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Doesn't the locked bootloader put a hindrance on the possibility of ASOP ROMs?

Puts the kibosh on them. Kexec works, but it replaces the recovery partition, so until we get a functional SD-based recovery utility that puts even Kexec out as a possibility, but we may see something soon anyway. Progress on unlocking the bootloader proceeds apace, but that's still a long shot.