Sooo, will you switch from Droid to N1 on VZW?

broosewee

Reaction score
The Droid screen still blows me away sometimes. There's nothing really lustworthy in the Nexus to make a switch worthwhile.

Besides, I think this is Google's intention. Android strives on multiple device support, so why make it a be all, end all halo device ala iPhone?

sc4fpse

Reaction score
I can't beleive no one has mentioned the oled screen on the N1...that one feature alone makes it worth switching to me ( I would miss the keyboard though). Oled screens blow LCD away in terms of vibrancy and deep true blacks. go try a Zunehd if you don't believe me.

Zune HD? Oh... that.

Shoot. I've hardly touched mine since I got my phone. I used to listen to music to keep me occupied whenever I was bored. Now, I just browse the web... lol. Kind of a waste of $300 now that I think about it. But I got a few good months use out of it. :)

On-topic though, the OLED screen on the Zune HD is nice, yes. But, in comparison, there isn't all that dramatic of a difference between the OLED screen on the Zune HD and the normal screen on my Droid. I mean, perhaps there are some people that would make huge deal about fine differences, but for someone like myself, I'm willing to trade a little bit of difference for functionality, such as a pull-out keyboard.

Plus, I like how my Droid looks like a machine. Hate to say it, but the Nexus One kind of looks like the princess phone... Perhaps HTC/Google are attempting to play to that kind of crowd. If that's the case, it's brilliant. But whatever they are really doing, the Nexus One just isn't for me.

Android 2.1, however... :icon_ banana:

andrewdoane

Reaction score
Nah, I'm happy with the Droid. I'm not sure whether I think it is better or not, but certainly good enough. This will not be the last time our mettle as Droid owners has been tasted. In fact this time next year when most of us still have a year left on a 2-year contract, there will be something mind-blowingly better than both the Droid and the N1.

Newton122189

Reaction score
OLED screen will make you switch?? I think people are getting carried away here, if it was a 60" OLED then maybe, but we are talking about a PHONE with a screen size of 3.7"!!! I have pictures and movies on my droid and they look great, definately not bad enough for me to go out and drop hundreds more just to have a little better screen that in the long run the average joe that you show it off to wont and cant tell the difference!

I have a Zune HD, let me promise you, it is noticeable, however i posted a couple posts back about some of engadgets complaints about the AMOLED on the N1, OLED is great but it has some negatives strikes against it

The Droid screen still blows me away sometimes. There's nothing really lustworthy in the Nexus to make a switch worthwhile.

Besides, I think this is Google's intention. Android strives on multiple device support, so why make it a be all, end all halo device ala iPhone?

I have to agree, I think Google is trying to make the N1 just a little better than the Droid, if they made it so it blows it away then nobody would buy the Droid, they want the devices to be able to thrive and coexist, frankly they are geniuses compared to Apple's approach, but thats my opinion, however based on the recent polls about Android popularity it looks like im not the only one who thinks Google is making all the right moves, as far as im concerned they are creeping up on Apple and with the openness and multi-carrier availability I feel like it is only a matter of time before Android sits atop the throne when it comes to smartphones

Last edited:

cb3FSU

Reaction score
Im definitely waiting for the next generation of Droid phones to come out before upgrading. I used an LG Voyager for 2 years previous to my Droid and I cant imagine there will be anything on the N1 that I will be pining for in a year or two.

You know these first gens are just the tip of the iceberg. My next phone wont have a slide out keyboard, I barely use this one, but there really just isnt enough to make me even think about switching at this point.

I cant imagine what they have in store for us next. A slightly faster processer is something I wouldnt notice unless I used an N1 or they start making apps that require it.

OP
D

DurangoJim

Reaction score
I can't beleive no one has mentioned the oled screen on the N1...that one feature alone makes it worth switching to me ( I would miss the keyboard though). Oled screens blow LCD away in terms of vibrancy and deep true blacks. go try a Zunehd if you don't believe me.

Engadget states that some of the colors (orange being one of them) are blown out and that the screen is very difficult to see outside. Also, it is a lower resolution (albeit only a little) than the Droid.

chuk1005

Reaction score
Nah, I'm happy with the Droid. I'm not sure whether I think it is better or not, but certainly good enough. This will not be the last time our mettle as Droid owners has been tasted. In fact this time next year when most of us still have a year left on a 2-year contract, there will be something mind-blowingly better than both the Droid and the N1.

Exactly and id say specifically around the holiday season (Nov-Dec) as they always try to target that season.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
It's all about the keyboard.

Not to mention I won't be eligible for an upgrade then that finally comes to VZW, so I'll be damned if I'm gonna pay 500 for a new phone.

Don't worry. By the time you're available to upgrade, there will be another phone that will be far more advanced, and the Nexus One owners will be in the same shoes as us by then. :icon_ banana:

Yea hers to waiting for a Snap Dragon Keyboard i.e probally the DROID 2:motdroidhoriz:

OP
D

DurangoJim

Reaction score
My question is if all Droids get 2.1 in the next few days, does the 1-29-10 upgrade still stand, and what will it upgrade too?

I thought they stated 2.1 would be open source in a couple of days. That doesn't mean we'll all get it in a couple days.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My question is if all Droids get 2.1 in the next few days, does the 1-29-10 upgrade still stand, and what will it upgrade too?

I thought they stated 2.1 would be open source in a couple of days. That doesn't mean we'll all get it in a couple days.

correct....

2.1 will be open sourced in a couple of days.

That's the android base code though, individual manufacturers will have to include software for the actual hardware (like bluetooth/wireless/LEDs), then from there it's up to the service providers to push the updates out to retail handsets.

If you're on an ADP or rooted device, you can build your own firmware soon. : )

les017

Reaction score
I have a Droid and my wife has a Droid ERIS. I certainly will not change to N1. Not only is the upgrade too minor IMHO, but I do use the physical keyboard just enough that i would certainly miss it. But since we upgraded near the middle of November we have until 01/13/09 to trade back in. I will be approaching the wife concerning upgrading her ERIS. She likes the form, doesn't need the p-board. Also I would like to get her away from an older processor, up to a larger and higher-res screen and jump straight to 2.1.

I probably wouldn't even bother with this if I knew FOR SURE that the ERIS was going to get 2.1 or better.....and run well with it installed.

asmallchild

Reaction score
Switching my phones every year is a little much for me. I don't think I'm eligible for subsidized pricing anyway for another 10 months.

So the earliest I upgrade is in October.

I'm foreshadowing another upgrade at Christmas next year, I tend to feel generous around that time :)

We'll see what floats my boat at that time, the N1 will definitely be on my radar but I surmise something even newer and hotter will be out by then

Reaction score
I guess I feel about the same as everyone else. I think the Nexus1 will probably only be slightly better than the Droid, definitely not enough to warrant an "upgrade". I would consider it to be more of a lateral move. The speed difference is not as great as the actual ghz difference implies due to the architecture of the Cortex A8 chip that the Droid uses. While the Snapdragon is bound to be faster, I think it's not going to be that noticeable (kinda like comparing a laptop with a 2.0 ghz processor to one with a 2.3 ghz processor) the 2.3 is faster, but the 2.0 isnt slow either ;). I think the main difference betwern the 2 is Trackball vs. Keyboard, in which case I'll keep the keyboard.

mach330

Reaction score
not sure if this has been brought up already. the droid has the gorilla glass touchscreen. how about the n1? i do like how pretty scratch resistant the gorilla glass is.