1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Sooo lost

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by 93fuelslut, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut New Member

I know yal will probably say this is a dumb question but I have no idea abt this stuff...so if u decide to ignore it il understand but-

What's a rom?
    What's the difference from one rom to another?
    What's the point in changing a rom?
    What's a kernel?
    What do they do
    Why root a phone?
    Is rooting bad?
    Can u un root?
    What's "hacking"
    Is a 5hour battery life to short with barely using it?....

I like playin with my droid 2 but apparently I don't know sh!t...thanks fellas

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  2. cutiedroid

cutiedroid New Member

I'm quoting this so I can keep up with the questions

1) rom is actually ROM or "read only memory". This is the area where the "workings" of the phone lift to.
    2) on these phones there is the "stock" ROM, what the phone came with, and the after market written ROMS from guys like Team Black Hat and Angel13, to name a couple. ROMS especially affect how your user interface presents. The Angel and Liberty ROMS will enable you to fancify your IU, among other things.
    3) To personalize your phone with themes and skins and such.
    4) The kernel is the heart of your phone. You really should understand what you're doing before messing with it, even more than the ROM.
    5) Back in the early PC days you actually did everything at the C: prompt, which was also known as the "root directory". Then Windows was invented and you only had to go out to the C: prompt if you really had to. These phones also have a root directory but thirds tuned it's not easily accessible. So one of those smart programmers, or devs nowadays, wrote apps that enabled you to access down to where the most secret files are stored. They call it rooting your phone (except in Australia) unless you're using an iPhone in which case they call it "jail breaking". Rooting isn't bad; it's just another app. It's what you do after rooting that you may run into trouble. They have a thing called "bricking" your phone which is a unique way of saying "I've just turned my phone into a pretty paperweight." But they also root thrower phone's so they can get rid of, or cause to stop working, "bloatware", the software that comes with your phone like Netflix or Amazon.com, big apps like that that consume power or real estate, sometimes running on the background whether you want it to or not. Finally, un-rooting is as easy as rooting; it's part of the app. If that's all you've done is rooted, un-rooting is no big deal, but if you've done other stuff too, like to ROM, you'll need further apps to "return your phone to stock" or only original apps, ROMS, kernels, etc.
    6) Actually rooting and ROMming is a form of hacking. You can void your warranty if you hack your phone till it doesn't work properly any more.
    7) 5 hours isn't very long. What type of phone? Mine should supposedly give me 10 hours. With 3G and mobile data I don't really get ten hours, but certainly more that 5 hours.

I hope all this blather gives you some idea. The nice thing about here is if your info is wrong you will get corrected so I'm banking on you getting the real story. But this is a start.

And excuse really weird spelling or grammar errors, I use SlideIT and it can come up with some doozies if I'm not paying attention.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  3. 93fuelslut

93fuelslut New Member

Thanks for replying in an easy discussion ..but what's a ui?
    Its a droid 2....but any ideas on why I only get 5hour battery life?

If I root my phone what can I do make sure it doesn't become a paper weight u were talkin abt?
    would a kernel or rom make my phone faster or hold a battery life longer?
    thanks