Soon to be Droid owner...should I wait for Droid 2?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by SilenceGM, Aug 2, 2010.

1. SilenceGM

SilenceGM New Member

Hi Guys,

I'm completely new to both this forum and Android phones, but I plan on getting a Droid soon. I haven't had a smartphone since I fried my n97 and playing with a friends original Droid made the decision for me. My question, though, is whether or not I should wait for the Droid 2. I don't know how legitimate the August 12th release date I've been hearing about is, and I'm not sure if it's the phone I want anyway. I like the physical keyboard, but from what I hear it's really easy to get used to Swype. I've also read that will be ready to get Android 3 whenever that comes out. However, it's supposed to be way harder to root, which sucks for me, I always do whatever I can to get the most out of my phones :)

My question is, should I just go for a Droid or Droid X, or wait for the Droid 2?
  2. Sweet Daddy

Sweet Daddy New Member

I love my Droid to death, but It's almost a year old. Definitely grab one of the newer models.
  3. naman919

naman919 New Member

uhh nine months. but i'll give it to you. :p

Back to the OP. If you like a physical keyboard go get the Droid1. You have a 30 day window to return it and get the Droid2 when announced. If you want a larger screen, get the X, but it lacks a physical keyboard.

If you're Jones'ing for the phone now, that's my advice. D2 is sure to be announced within the next 30 days.
  4. nelamvr6

nelamvr6 New Member

You may not have any choice, stocks of the Droid are running low...
  5. UNC

UNC New Member

Stocks aren't really running low, they just aren't making any more... walmart has tons of em, and you don't have to wait for rebate... I personally wouldn't be buying right now. You should buy a crappy phone without an etf and wait for the LTE android device...

I think a lot of droid x users will be disappointed when LTE rolls out in 3-4 months and they have to wait 20 more for a subsidized highend LTE phone. (iPhone LTE?, DroidPro?)

(Thankfully I have the federal employee discount, and get 25% off my "new every two" as well as everything else!!!)
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. aminaked

aminaked New Member

I guess you could get the droid 1 on ebay. I would get the 2 because it is faster, newer, and it has a little microphone button on the keyboard (not kidding, I want that).

only negatives with droid 2:
    1)where is it?
    2)will they f up the software like they did with the X. Sorry, Motorola's tweaked google experience is beta code and they need to get on the ball.