Sony's Xperia Z3 Might Have an iPhone 6 Plus-like #bendgate Problem Too

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sony-Xpeira-Z3-bent-1.jpg

Based upon the image shown above, it looks like the iPhone 6 Plus might not be the only device out there that has a tendency to "bend" when worn in your back pocket. In case you missed all the hullabaloo, shortly after the iPhone 6 Plus was launched by Apple this year, a large swath of users began reporting that its flimsy construction sometimes allowed it to bend when worn in your back pocket.

The debacle was called #bendgate, and although it was a bit overblown by the media, it was still enough of an issue that Apple made some redesigns on the internal structure of future iPhone 6 Plus devices to avoid the issue. Today's report suggests that Sony may need to take the time to reinforce their Xperia Z3 as well. A user has reported the same bending problem with his Xperia Z3 and the image above is evidence of that.

We've included a couple more images from the original source in the thread below. Let us know if you think this is an isolated incident or something Sony should look into.

Source: Phandroid

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are those pics of the bent Sony Xperia Z3:

Sony-Xperia-Z3-bent-2.jpg

Sony-Xperia-Z3-bent-3.jpg

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score

Based upon the image shown above, it looks like the iPhone 6 Plus might not be the only device out there that has a tendency to "bend" when worn in your back pocket. In case you missed all the hullabaloo, shortly after the iPhone 6 Plus was launched by Apple this year, a large swath of users began reporting that its flimsy construction sometimes allowed it to bend when worn in your back pocket.

The debacle was called #bendgate, and although it was a bit overblown by the media, it was still enough of an issue that Apple made some redesigns on the internal structure of future iPhone 6 Plus devices to avoid the issue. Today's report suggests that Sony may need to take the time to reinforce their Xperia Z3 as well. A user has reported the same bending problem with his Xperia Z3 and the image above is evidence of that.

We've included a couple more images from the original source in the thread below. Let us know if you think this is an isolated incident or something Sony should look into.

Source: Phandroid

Here's a novel idea..... Don't Put The Phone In Your Back Pocket and Sit Down!!!!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I don't imagine too many people are using the Z3 without a case, being that it has a glass back.
Of course there are those few that enjoy living dangerously.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
You fail to understand that this is a feature, not an issue. The phone bends to the curvature of your posterior. This is called Azflex technology (tm) and has been licensed by both Apple and Sony.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Two things:
1) I'm happy to see this. Stop making freakishly thin and/or huge phones that skimp on battery, among other things
2) I can't quite get over how incredibly dumb it is to make a thin phone with glass backing that prompts people to use a cover. It's almost like putting a Picasso on display...behind opaque glass so light doesn't damage it.

I have high hopes that Project Aura is going to revolutionize the smartphone world, but I expect to be disappointed.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
That's the phone I have. I have always used a holster because my pockets are usually full of other items plus I find it easier to pull the phone out of a holster. I don't like the glass backing on the Z3, first it is too iphone-like, second it makes the phone slick and more likely to fall out of your hand, off your lap or off an unlevel surface like a car hood.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I have to play the bad guy.. Stop wearing skinny jeans and sticking your phone in your back pocket.. Smdh

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to play the bad guy.. Stop wearing skinny jeans and sticking your phone in your back pocket.. Smdh

Is it common practice for people to carry phones in their back pocket and intentionally sit on them? I would never sit on my phone, and would never carry it in my back pocket because I'd forget sooner than later (and more than occasionally).

Also, reminds me of that Seinfeld where George had back problems because of his ridiculously overstuffed wallet.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Is it common practice for people to carry phones in their back pocket and intentionally sit on them? I would never sit on my phone, and would never carry it in my back pocket because I'd forget sooner than later (and more than occasionally).

Also, reminds me of that Seinfeld where George had back problems because of his ridiculously overstuffed wallet.
I remember that episode lol.. I just don't understand why this happens when I sit my 150 lbs or better.. Self on this device... :blink: why oh why does it bend??