Sony's Newest Exmor Sensor Takes Us Closer to DSLR Capabilities on Smartphones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-new-camera-sensor-nov-17-2014.jpeg

Sony may not get all the headlines and financial success when it comes to their smartphones, but they certainly make some of the best camera technology on the planet. Several of the greatest smartphone cameras in the world come from Sony's Exmor technology.

Of course, a company can't sit idly by while competitors push against them. Nokia is famous for making fantastic cameras in smartphones too. Sony wants to keep up with the "Joneses" so they recently debuted their latest Exmor smartphone camera tech and it aims to take us much closer to DSLR capabilities on a smartphone.

Sony's new camera tech, called Exmor RS IMX230, includes the following advanced features,
  • 21-megapixels squeezed into a 1/2.4-inch sized form factor
  • 192-point phase-detection autofocus, (keeps fast-moving subjects sharp)
  • Integrated HDR for high-res stills
  • Video capture options: 30fps 4K, 60fps 1080p, and 120fps (slow motion) 720p
It is speculated that the Xperia Z4 will be the first smartphone to boast Sony's new lens. Check out the comparison shots above.

Source: Sony Global - Sony Global - Sony Announces the Exmor RS trade the Industry s First Stacked CMOS Image Sensor with an Image Plane Phase Detection Signal Processing Function for High-Speed AF

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current camera in z3v is top notch in my opinion. It takes fantastic night shots and is very fast. Not even going to mention it's underwater capabilities.
aecd7040bcbcd303c305ae38ae16bbc3.jpg

Evening shot in mexico

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current camera in z3v is top notch in my opinion. It takes fantastic night shots and is very fast. Not even going to mention it's underwater capabilities.
aecd7040bcbcd303c305ae38ae16bbc3.jpg

Evening shot in mexico
You just had to show off with your little fancy phone in Mexico. You're really making it hard to like you :p:D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Does anyone know who makes the sensor on the back of the Turbo? I can't find information about it anywhere... I wouldn't be surprised if it's a SONY.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
:D:D:D