Sony's Honami Pictured in New Video and Confirmed Debut on September 4th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;alVwMu5fvns]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alVwMu5fvns&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

It looks like Samsung's Galaxy Note 3 won't be lonely on the September 4th launch date. As we reported previously, Sony plans to launch their Honami phablet at their event on the exact same day just a few hours before Samsung. This has been confirmed along with a new video teaser of the device. The teaser video (shown above) is called "The best of Sony is about to get even better" and while it doesn't reveal too much about the device, what it does show looks fantastic.

Here's the rumored spec-list for the device:
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
  • 5 inch Full HD display
  • Quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 20MP rear camera
  • 3,300 mAh battery
  • Water Resistant
What do you guys think? Could Sony's new phablet steal some of Samsung's thunder on September 4th? Those specs certainly seem incredible, as does the design...

Source: XperiaBlog

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but does it feel like all the phone manufacturers are using pretty much the same hardware these days? Remember back when you could go buy a new phone and the choice was hard because they were all different. Different cameras, RAM, processor, screen, etc etc etc and it was almost a challenge to buy the best phone for you. Now, they are so damn close to being the same. Snapdragon 800, 2gigs of RAM, 1080p, 5 inch screen or very close to it (because really, 4.8 inch screen is barely smaller than 5 inches) and pretty much the same gpu too. What the hell? Did all the phone makers meet up in some dark lit alley and do this so they could then say they are offering the better phone because of all the bloat they put in the OS? Look, you can shake our phone to turn on the camera (MotoX), look, we have TouchWiz, they have SenseUI, and all that crap we all hate. It really feels like they, the manufacturers, make the same phone now so they can promote software.

Big Ry

Reaction score
Man, if these specs end up being true, I might be all over this. I'm looking for a comparable alternative to the note 3

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but does it feel like all the phone manufacturers are using pretty much the same hardware these days? Remember back when you could go buy a new phone and the choice was hard because they were all different. Different cameras, RAM, processor, screen, etc etc etc and it was almost a challenge to buy the best phone for you. Now, they are so damn close to being the same. Snapdragon 800, 2gigs of RAM, 1080p, 5 inch screen or very close to it (because really, 4.8 inch screen is barely smaller than 5 inches) and pretty much the same gpu too. What the hell? Did all the phone makers meet up in some dark lit alley and do this so they could then say they are offering the better phone because of all the bloat they put in the OS? Look, you can shake our phone to turn on the camera (MotoX), look, we have TouchWiz, they have SenseUI, and all that crap we all hate. It really feels like they, the manufacturers, make the same phone now so they can promote software.
Well TI dropped out of the game, intel is not moving, tegra 5 is stagnant(still no tablets with it yet.). Qualcomm is the only game in town right now. It usually comes in cycles. But nvidia doesn't seem to be producing. Maybe production problems.

its all about competition. HTC is usually first, then Samsung refines, then everyone's on board. Sony is the king of miniaturization, so this should be interesting!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This is the "hardware plateau" I've been talking about for months. There is little variety between devices other than aesthetics. This is why I personally like the direction Moto is taking with their latest lineup, concentrating more on the user instead of the hardware and power.

And Verizon REALLY needs to bring Sony to their lineup. I think the Xperia line would sell like hotcakes on Verizon.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well TI dropped out of the game, intel is not moving, tegra 5 is stagnant(still no tablets with it yet.). Qualcomm is the only game in town right now. It usually comes in cycles. But nvidia doesn't seem to be producing. Maybe production problems.

its all about competition. HTC is usually first, then Samsung refines, then everyone's on board. Sony is the king of miniaturization, so this should be interesting!

Don't you mean Tegra 4 is stagnant? Tegra 5 is still in development and won't come out until sometime next year.

You are dead on for the rest of it though! :)

jspradling7

Reaction score

On some of those parts it could be as simple as price and availability.

Company One: "Hey Samsung, we just ran 6 million 2 gig memory chips for HTC, we still have everything set up, do you us to run you 6 million at a discounted price of 12 bucks each? 3 week delivery"
Comapny Two: "Hey Samsung, we got your request for a quote on 6 million 3 gig memory chips, we can set up and run them for 15 bucks each. It'll take 6 weeks. You want 'em?"

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This is the "hardware plateau" I've been talking about for months. There is little variety between devices other than aesthetics. This is why I personally like the direction Moto is taking with their latest lineup, concentrating more on the user instead of the hardware and power.

And Verizon REALLY needs to bring Sony to their lineup. I think the Xperia line would sell like hotcakes on Verizon.

Ya, I want Sony as an option also!

jspradling7

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting past that name. I'd have to call it "My Sony" or something. : )

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Don't you mean Tegra 4 is stagnant? Tegra 5 is still in development and won't come out until sometime next year.

You are dead on for the rest of it though! :)

Yep! LOL....With how they are going...we may never even see the tegra 4 in a phone...just jump straight to tegra 5 to stay with the competition!

acousticshade

Reaction score
Definately looks interesting. I like the direction moto is taking, but can't commit to their phones until they get some decent camera hardware. For a lot of people, having a good camera is one of the most important features of the phone and I like what I'm hearing about some of the 20+ megapixel phone cams.