dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Great 24hr review STG.

Sounds like you really like the device. Let us know if you find some more things out within the week. 24hrs is only a mere preview of the phone, but you made a very thorough one. I'm personally most interested in battery life, so if you could report back about that in a week I'd love to hear the numbers you get, even though it is a subjective matter.

I can barely get 2.5hrs of screen time with my s4 right now...though I admit this battery is probably a year old already. I do have a new one and maybe that'll help, but for now, 2.5hrs of screen time isn't cutting it. I have to watch my use for the second half of the day.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Checked it out at the Phone Center Store today. The phone is nice, the screen is really sharp, and the response is quick. The camera is really nice and fast to focus and shoot after touching the shutter button. I didn't really have much time with it but the one thing that stood out for me was how it felt in my hand.

Now, I must say that I'm used to my Droid MAXX which has both rounded edges on the sides of the back, and also although the front bezel frame is Anodized Aluminum it is rounded enough to feel comfortable in the hands. This Sony phone however, feels "rough around the edges", no pun intended.

z3-15.jpg

With the Glass back, it was something I was concerned about being easy to break and scratch when placing it down on the table. It appears they tried to minimize that by making the Glass slightly inset below the edges of the back bezel frame. They've also done this with the front screen glass. This apparent attempt at protecting the glass results however, in the frame being kind of a sharp edge around the entire phone's front and back.

So while it's a mighty fine phone, it's uncomfortable in my hand, feeling almost like I'm holding a piece of unfinished metal that's been cut but not having been polished or rounded. Don't get me wrong, the edge isn't really sharp, but it's not smooth and well rounded either. I was never really impressed by the iPhone 5 with its Aluminum frame that is actually chamfered along the edges making it feel sharp along the edges.

221a1ae4a80062c658a032a54db41749.jpg

The Sony isn't chamfered but it's less comfortable than I'm used to.

36d5f8e85aa0c37cffe7119321f1a7d9.jpg

37d495471249ea2a46d194594bf70ae4.jpg

The more rounded edges of the original Z3 were less uncomfortable to hold. Verizon had to mess with it.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So is this the big version or the small version of the phone?

IsixedThat

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Checked it out at the Phone Center Store today. The phone is nice, the screen is really sharp, and the response is quick. The camera is really nice and fast to focus and shoot after touching the shutter button. I didn't really have much time with it but the one thing that stood out for me was how it felt in my hand.

Now, I must say that I'm used to my Droid MAXX which has both rounded edges on the sides of the back, and also although the front bezel frame is Anodized Aluminum it is rounded enough to feel comfortable in the hands. This Sony phone however, feels "rough around the edges", no pun intended.

z3-15.jpg

With the Glass back, it was something I was concerned about being easy to break and scratch when placing it down on the table. It appears they tried to minimize that by making the Glass slightly inset below the edges of the back bezel frame. They've also done this with the front screen glass. This apparent attempt at protecting the glass results however, in the frame being kind of a sharp edge around the entire phone's front and back.

So while it's a mighty fine phone, it's uncomfortable in my hand, feeling almost like I'm holding a piece of unfinished metal that's been cut but not having been polished or rounded. Don't get me wrong, the edge isn't really sharp, but it's not smooth and well rounded either. I was never really impressed by the iPhone 5 with its Aluminum frame that is actually chamfered along the edges making it feel sharp along the edges.

nick.jpg

The Sony isn't chamfered but it's less comfortable than I'm used to.

Totally agree about the chamfered edges. It's not a great phone to hold in the hand without a case. I'm hoping that the Note 4 is more subdued feeling.

IsixedThat

pchain

Reaction score
I bought the Z3v tonight. (off contract to keep my unlimited data.) I didn't even notice the sharp frame on the store unit probably because of the ball and chain they attach to the back of it while on display. When I got home, after I pulled the plastic off the back I thought I initially thought I had a defective unit, but I came to the same conclusion, that it was by design. But now not only does it feel slightly weird in the hand, I'm worried about the frame getting dented easily since it is so thin and sharp. I then put a plastic screen protector on the front. (it was the toughest one I've ever done because it has to be positioned so precisely) that totally took care of the edge on the front. Don't know what to do about the back. I know its glass, but I still want to go caseless, but this edge makes me wonder. Any case you would put on this phone with all the cutouts on the sides might look really silly. Other than that my initial reaction to the phone is very very positive.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I bought the Z3v tonight. (off contract to keep my unlimited data.) I didn't even notice the sharp frame on the store unit probably because of the ball and chain they attach to the back of it while on display. When I got home, after I pulled the plastic off the back I thought I initially thought I had a defective unit, but I came to the same conclusion, that it was by design. But now not only does it feel slightly weird in the hand, I'm worried about the frame getting dented easily since it is so thin and sharp. I then put a plastic screen protector on the front. (it was the toughest one I've ever done because it has to be positioned so precisely) that totally took care of the edge on the front. Don't know what to do about the back. I know its glass, but I still want to go caseless, but this edge makes me wonder. Any case you would put on this phone with all the cutouts on the sides might look really silly. Other than that my initial reaction to the phone is very very positive.

Yes, with the frame being so thin it seems it would also be susceptible to denting as you mention. And regarding the glad back I'd want to put another screen protector on it just because it's glass.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
What are those two golden spots just below the SD card slot?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Will a screen protector be thick enough to fill in the edge on the back of the phone?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Will a screen protector be thick enough to fill in the edge on the back of the phone?
Good question. Another question is will it come with a cutout for the camera or will you have to modify a front one.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have my phone in a case so I don't notice the edge and I must say I didn't notice it even for the bit I messed with phone out of the case until after seeing it posted here. The screen protector that I am using us the tempered glass from Verizon and if you could find something comparable for the back it would fix the feel issue (or so I think).

Here are some pictures of the case I am using, is from Verizon as well and the only thing I don't like is it is a fingerprint magnet.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414249826.346976.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414249847.916367.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414249866.400252.jpg

There is only one cutout in the side for the USB port, and of course the camera hole on the back. Case is thin and offers decent protection. I do have an incipio case coming but am not sure if either will interfere with the wireless charger.

Sent while mobile...

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
And for those who inquired about signal strength, here is a pic next to the Moto X...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414250110.732257.jpg

Sent while mobile...

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Good question. Another question is will it come with a cutout for the camera or will you have to modify a front one.

There are several "skins" available on amazon for back & front coverage, not sure on thickness tho. @bkdodger can probably comment more them as I think he uses them on his devices.

Sent while mobile...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Does the tempered glass protector take up the whole screen? Can't tell by the pics.

And if it does, must've been pretty easy to put on straight since the screen sits a bit lower than the edge. Or is that just camera angles?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
There are several "skins" available on amazon for back & front coverage, not sure on thickness tho. @bkdodger can probably comment more them as I think he uses them on his devices.

Sent while mobile...

I've used slickwraps for my M8 and solid feel in hand ✋.. Helped with grip on slippery M8.... Only downfall is if you want to use case as well it's hard to flip flop.. I'm back on case with it... dbrand is another one highly recommended by peeps..

One+1