Sony Takes Bold Stance on Quad-Core Chips in Phones: Won't Have Any Until 2013

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-sign-55.jpg

Sony is taking a bold stance on quad-core processors in phones. They recently issued statements indicating they will not release a quad-core phone this year. Sony Mobile product marketing manager Stephen Sneeden indicated that Sony believes it is wiser to bring quad-core technology out in 2013 once it has matured more. Sneeden said,

”We’re going to join quad-core when we feel that the performance matches the battery efficiency. Because right now we don’t feel that is there. What we are going to be doing in the second-half of the year is moving to the Cortex A15 architecture, which we feel outperforms the current quad-core architecture.”

Sneeden added, "You'll see in 2013, as we're evaluating the quad-core performance where it makes sense, where you're not suffering in quality and the performance truly is there, and there really is something that demanding applications need. That's when we make the right move to quad-core."

It's interesting to see a major manufacturer take this stance on advancing technology. Perhaps they are being prudent, or perhaps they are just a bit late to the party and are trying to make excuses. What do you guys think?

Source: Android.net via BGR

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I think dual core processors in phones are still nascent, and they've still got quite a bit of maturing to do. I'm with Sony on this one. They're making the right decision here, IMO.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I think dual core processors in phones are still nascent, and they've still got quite a bit of maturing to do. I'm with Sony on this one. They're making the right decision here, IMO.

I completely agree! I would take a second gen dual core with a updated GPU and integrated LTE , over a first gen quad core anyday! Ive been saying this ever since they said they were coming out with quadcores. Yes quad cores are super powerful. But how many people actually game on there phone(besides me).

I have played every game out(i think) and dont have a problem. photoshop touch no problem.

Right now, quad cores are a gimmick. In 6 months, maybe not...

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
It's a decent stance.

Like with dual core, quad core CPUs are not "optimized" yet. The dual core CPUs being released now, and throughout the year are leap and bounds ahead of the dual cores of today and yesteryear. As shown by the S4, and future TIs.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Would definitely prefer an optimized second gen dual core over a first gen quad core. I haven't found a need for more processing power other than the webtop, but I haven't found a good use for the webtop yet ;). I feel quad cores will be huge once webtop applications have been optimized and people are using them as full functioning computers instead of having a laptop or desktop.

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score
If the PS Vita is 1st gen quad core... then I'd be absolutely ok with that in a phone :)

dug-e-fresh

Reaction score
it also has a quadcore GPU and 4 hour battery life.....

4+ hours of 100% screen on time... a 5" screen at that. If I played ANY prcocessor intensive game on my Gnex for 4-5 hours... it would be done 2 times over. And my Gnex has the extended battery (which is similarly sized to the vita).

Not to mention, the Vita has like 2 week standby time.

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
4+ hours of 100% screen on time... a 5" screen at that. If I played ANY prcocessor intensive game on my Gnex for 4-5 hours... it would be done 2 times over. And my Gnex has the extended battery (which is similarly sized to the vita).

Not to mention, the Vita has like 2 week standby time.

Vita doesn't have a 4G antenna, isn't running Android (background process galore), 4+ hours is the advertised time, put your phone in airplane mode/screen off and let it sit for 2 weeks. That's like a MBP having 9hr battery life and a Windows PC with the same hardware having a 4 hour battery life.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Vita doesn't have a 4G antenna, isn't running Android (background process galore), 4+ hours is the advertised time, put your phone in airplane mode/screen off and let it sit for 2 weeks. That's like a MBP having 9hr battery life and a Windows PC with the same hardware having a 4 hour battery life.

I don't think the Vita runs android.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

woodsie

Reaction score
Good move. Quad cores is low in my list of give a damn.

Battery life, screen size/resolution, and camera quality are my top three criteria as long as the phone is "fast enough".

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums