Sony Smart Watch

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Being jealous over someone else recently winning the giveaway for the Sony Smart Watch, I decided to get myself one. For those of you with Verizon, you can get it through them for about $150. If you're a nerd like me, you've gotta have this little gadget.

One thing I should mention, verizons site says that the Droid 3 (which I have) is not compatible with this device...that is crap. I don't know if it's because I'm rooted with MavRom 4.0 or did the TBH Wifi Hotspot coding, but it DOES work with my D3. dancedroidIt also lists the D1 and D2, Xoom, and a few other moto products even though it was designed with sony phones in mind.

I have to say I like it, I can review updates on facebook, review and "phrase" respond to my texts, look at missed calls, check the weather, answer calls, control my music player, or abuse my lost phone finder app to sonic mine a coworkers office. LOL (my favorite) These are all free apps on the google playstore and some or all have widgets that work on the smartwatch. Even though this all works via Bluetooth you'd be pleasantly suprised at the fun you can have with it. I like the display, but it sucks in direct sunlight, so far, battery is only down 15-20% since I charged it 16hours ago... of course I didn't put it to real testing until today.

I have handsfree in my stereo head unit (another Bluetooth connection) and although I didn't attempt any calls, I could see it connected fine in tandem with the smartwatch. I will try a couple of phonecalls with the handsfree while playing with the watch to make sure there's no issue later today. If there is a problem, I will update this post.

Overall Verdict: If you've got the money to spare on this gadget, it's worthwhile, fun and a definate conversation piece. I really like mine, and hopefully this is a product that I'll continue to see app support for, but a mic and/or speaker wouldn't hurt in the next version. The Smartwatch doesn't seem to have any real issues I've noticed and does all it advertises. If anyone has any questions prior to getting one or is just curious hit me up here for this Fun Gadget.

dave52355

Reaction score
Sony Smartwatch review

First, let me say I am really stoked about winnng the Sony Smartwatch. I usually win things like socks or other useless items.

The watch looks great with the black and chrome. The OLED display appears to float on a sea of black. In the box were the watch, a silicone watch band, a watch mount to use on alternative bands, the charge cable and several getting started booklets in various languages.

I have a large wrist so the included band only would close on the first hole. I’ll be in the market for a larger band.

After charging the watch for a couple hours you need to pair it with your phone. I use a Bionic and pairing was a piece of cake. Download the Smartwatch software from the Play store and you are ready to let the fun begin.

Being a weather nut my first Smartwatch app I chose to install was the weather app. You install the app thru your phone using the Smartwatch program. You also configure the app the same way. We live at 9000 feet above sea level in the desert so I was not surprised that the temperature displayed was way off. However, after a couple hours the temperature started matching what was displayed on my Beautiful Widgets home screen. That was easy.

Next I tried the phone app. After installing my wife called and her number popped up on the screen as the watch vibrated. Offered 2 choices: Answer or Ignore. Had I had a picture attached to the number it would of shown on the watch screen. Perfect for those times I don’t want my phone ringing in my pocket but still would like to know who called.

Than I moved to TXT messaging. Again easy install. However unlike the phone app, when a TXT is sent instead of the watch displaying the message, it shows a little TXT icon. You tap the icon to read the message. You can setup one default message that can be sent from the watch or you can send from your phone complete responses.

Calendar reminders work the same way.

There are quite a few apps that can be installed to the watch. A couple I thought intriguing were one that pretty much allowed any Android app that created an event to be able to be sent to the watch even if not Smartwatch compatible and another that allowed you to capture stills from your phone and view them on the watch up to 30 feet away ala Maxwell Smart.

On light use I got about 5 days on a charge.

Pros: Cool watch. has a good “ wow “ factor discreet
Cons: I’m weird. I’m big on automation. When I brush my teeth I want the toothpaste to automagically appear on the brush and the motors to turn on when the brush touches my teeth. Having to thump the screen to see TXT messages and reminders just makes no sense. Perhaps it is a privacy thing. I found no way to change that. Another thing, to save battery power the default time display turns off after a short while requiring that extra action of thumping the screen to turn it on. The other 2 time display settings stay on as long as the watch detects motion. Hard to impress a fanboy if you are beating on the screen. The apps seem a bit rough around the edges could be refined a bit. Than there is that pretty OLED screen. Outside on a cloudy day I could barely see it. In direct sun it was impossible. If you are outside a lot you may find yourself holding your hand over the watch to create shade.

Overall the watch is cool. I’ll be using it around here. Even as I type on my lapdock my watch just buzzed to let me know my wife was calling. In church last Sunday it told me I got a TXT from my sister letting me know she had returned from Europe. I’m sure with some software updates the Smartwatch can only get better.

Hope this helps.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sounds awesome!!! Glad you're liking it... hope you find a watchband that fits you better :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I've been on the fence about this since it was announced at CES. I really like the concept. I love accessorizing my phone, love watches, and LOVE gadgets. I think my main concern is the size of it on my wrist. I don't have super dainty wrists, but they're still relatively small and although I don't mind large watches, I'm afraid the thickness would cause it to stick out too much. How comfortable is this for everyday wear? How has the bluetooth connection been holding up? I've heard from a few owners that it's not always stable. Is the lack of sunlight viewing really bad, or is it something you can live with? Right now I have the Motoactv, but that's strictly for working out; it's too big to wear everyday. I'm still on the fence with the Smartwatch, bu leaning toward yes.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Hi, there's already a review for this watch, the one we gave away... I understand your wanting your own thread, but for the sake of space.. I'm going to merge the two threads :) thank you.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

B0B0

Reaction score
So how moisture resistant is... 'splash proof'?

Can I go swimming with it on?

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
So how moisture resistant is... 'splash proof'?

Can I go swimming with it on?

It says splash proof on the box.. I bought one and actually really like it, but that's one of the things that make this not as great as it could be. I don't even trust wearing it when I'm doing the dishes or getting anywhere near water.

B0B0

Reaction score
If I spend 150$ on a watch, the damn thing better be water proof. :p

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
If I spend 150$ on a watch, the damn thing better be water proof. :p

Yeah, the Smartwatch not being waterproof is a real bummer. The sad thing is, there aren't really any other choices. If you follow Kickstarter, there were two kinda similar projects that were recently funded, so we should (hopefully) have a couple more choices in several months. Neither have screens as good as this Sony one, but both are promised to be waterproof. One is also strictly bluetooth 4.0, so you'll need a new phone for it to be compatible. I backed both projects and hope to have them on my wrist by the end of this year.

B0B0

Reaction score
hm.
Not being backwards compatible with older blue tooth technologies is a bummer.

I guess you could cover all the seams with epoxy and MAKE it waterproof. . .

rayhodge02

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting one of these watches how is everybody liking it ....now is it still worth it?

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I like it. Like I said earlier, even though I backed those two Kickstarter projects (Pebble, Cookoo), I'm still glad I got this. The soonest either of those will come out is November and I didn't wanna wait till then to have a bluetooth watch. You might also wanna check out the Metawatch Kickstarter: MetaWatch STRATA: the Smartwatch for the iPhone 4S & Android by Meta Watch — Kickstarter That's supposed to come out next month. All of these watches will eventually have a bit of a leg up on the Smartwatch; they're all more water resistant. The Smartwatch is only "splash proof." But if you want something now, this is a pretty cool gadget to have.

xian

Reaction score
Hello I have a droid bionic and I just picked up one of these watches. I have had a world of difficulty getting it paired and Sony claims that the watch is incompatible with the Bionic. That does not seem to mesh with what I have read here and before I return it and search for a better product I'd like to know if anyone can give me any help on the pairing issue.

AV= 4.0.4