Sony is Considering Selling Its Mobile Division or Even Teaming Up with Someone Else

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-sinking.jpg

Apparently, things are worse for Sony's mobile division than we could have guessed. According to a report late yesterday, Sony is considering multiple options to help get the company back on a profitable track. They are considering every bit of outside the box thinking they can in order to eek out anything worthwhile from their mobile division. this includes selling it outright or possibly teaming up with another company in some sort of joint effort to make headway in the market.

Supposedly, things are so bad at Sony they are even considering some of these same scenarios for their venerable TV division. I don't know about you guys, but I can't imagine Sony without Sony TVs. You can read more of the details at the source link below.

What do you guys think? Things seem grim indeed for Sony if they are considering such drastic measures.

Source: Reuters

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Korean companies like Samsung and LG have killed Japan and it's electronics industry, this has been happening for years, first it was Pioneer which pulled out of the PDP market, then it followed a few years later by Panasonic, same with Hitachi and Sony, and now the emergence of the Chinese has also put a hurting on the Korean manufacturers, so who will put the hurt on the Chinese and it's cheap labor "thank you Bill Clinton", I guess NAFTA did not pan out as expected.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Korean companies like Samsung and LG have killed Japan and it's electronics industry, this has been happening for years, first it was Pioneer which pulled out of the PDP market, then it followed a few years later by Panasonic, same with Hitachi and Sony, and now the emergence of the Chinese has also put a hurting on the Korean manufacturers, so who will put the hurt on the Chinese and it's cheap labor "thank you Bill Clinton", I guess NAFTA did not pan out as expected.
Yeah Ross Perot set him up big time, coming up with the idea then exposing the other shoe after Clinton plagiarized it
Sony still doesn't seem to realize they're not number 1 anymore. Until they do they'll continue to spiral

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's ashame! I've always loved Sony tv's....back since their Trinitron series. I didn't realize their smartphone division was doing that bad. Ugh

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's ashame! I've always loved Sony tv's....back since their Trinitron series. I didn't realize their smartphone division was doing that bad. Ugh

S5 tap'n
I didn't realize they still had a smartphone division until this article.
I remember back when they bought Ericsson then closed up all the Ericsson manufacturing plants over here. It seems they started the mobile phone division cliff dive somewhere near that point.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Typo: Apparently things ARE worse.

Sony eff'ed up.
3 things IMO
- Doing that exclusive one carrier bull with their phones. I mean, VZW JUST got its first Sony.
- ZERO advertising. Ever seen a Sony phone commercial? So only the hardcore even KNEW Sony made phones/tabs.
- I wanted to get the Z3V but when I held it in my hand I hated the design compared to the other phones at the store.

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Typo: Apparently tings ARE worse.

Sony eff'ed up.
3 things IMO
- Doing that exclusive one carrier bull with their phones. I mean, VZW JUST got its first Sony.
- ZERO advertising. Ever seen a Sony phone commercial? So only the hardcore even KNEW Sony made phones/tabs.
- I wanted to get the Z3V but when I held it in my hand I hated the design compared to the other phones at the store.

Typo fixed. Thanks!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Advertising, and trying to compete in the crowded smartphone spaces with relatively ugly devices (huge bezel, sharp corners).

They could have really pushed the envelope on the smartphone camera space. That COULD have been their niche.

Also, prior to the latest IPhone, the <5" premium smartphone space was woefully underserved. The Android OEM's followed Samsung into the 5"+ space like sheep.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
So does this mean that we may not see the 810 powered 4 gigs of ram, z4???

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I should add... I was really looking forward to that device.. I wanted to get the z3v but I also really wanted the turbo.. So.. Got the turbo

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Advertising, and trying to compete in the crowded smartphone spaces with relatively ugly devices (huge bezel, sharp corners).

They could have really pushed the envelope on the smartphone camera space. That COULD have been their niche.

Also, prior to the latest IPhone, the <5" premium smartphone space was woefully underserved. The Android OEM's followed Samsung into the 5"+ space like sheep.
I think that the note 4 actually uses a sony camera

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just read that Samsung is in talks to buy blackberry.

1.Maybe they should buy Sony's mobile division.
2.Didnt they just announce a drop in their own mobile revenues?

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Gremlin

Reaction score
Bah.. stupid internet..
I thnk they sold most of their phones in European market.. Yes they took a while to come to the States and that was their fault. Z4 looks good