1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Officially Coming to Verizon - Probably in 3 Months

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Sources indicate that the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play (a.k.a. "The Playstation Phone"), will officially be coming to Verizon. Furthermore, Sony Ericsson's own website states that the phone will be coming in 3 months.

Strangely, other reports suggest that the phone will be released on March 29th. Apparently, it will also be released at the same time as a multimedia dock called the DK300 which will be an optional accessory for it. This dock allows you to turn the phone into a makeshift alarm clock and connect the phone to your home stereo system.

The reality is that it will probably be released in other parts of the world before it comes to Verizon in the States, or perhaps that's backwards and Verizon will get it first. We will keep you informed. The other question is, are any of you guys excited about this phone? Does it look intriguing or do you think it's just a "gimmick"?

Source: Phonearena via Sony Ericsson
  2. GodfatherIP

GodfatherIP New Member

I'm excited, basically the only thing I use my Droid's keyboard for is emulators so getting a real d-pad and buttons will be nice. It is about time they started seriously integrating mobile gaming with smartphones seeing as how phones are getting so powerful these days and who really wants to carry a PSP in addition to their smartphone.
  3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Just another reason I keep arguing for detachable keyboards. Then if you want, you can swap out your QWERTY keyboard with the PS gamepad.

I can't believe we haven't seen this yet. The tech has been there for a while, unless maybe Android still doesn't properly support connecting a BT keyboard.
  4. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

Problem I have with getting this is the specs;\\

no dual core, none of the other cool features the IP5 and newer Androids will have.

Also I like my DX size screen ;)

But maybe if Sony does some better specs, I would take a try with it. Else, it seems like a waist of money, specially when you can get the NGP and a new generation Android to handle those two task
  5. manilaboy1vic

manilaboy1vic New Member

Will COD be brought to this platform?? i have 11days of my life been wasted on Black Ops.. i cant even believe that.. it doesnt get old.
  6. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

may be wrong, but I believe the sony phone will play PS1 games. I believe COD came out on the PS2 age. may be wrong tho.
  7. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

8. funwheeldrive

funwheeldrive New Member

Can't current droids play ps1 games already?
  9. Natejka7273

Natejka7273 New Member

[/QUOTE]

Can't current droids play ps1 games already?[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they don't have a d-pad and game buttons which are helpful. Otherwise, to me though, this phone looks underpowered compared to others.
  10. manilaboy1vic

manilaboy1vic New Member

PS1 games?? No CoD... i think im passing on this one..
  11. T RAV29

T RAV29 New Member

Hahah exactly what I was thinking.
  12. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

Well since psp2 aka NGP will have the ability to somehow play ported Ps3 games on it im sure with an update or hack, the PBS phone will also have that ability

Sent from my DROID2
  13. NeoLogic

NeoLogic New Member

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but they don't have a d-pad and game buttons which are helpful. Otherwise, to me though, this phone looks underpowered compared to others.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's underpowered alright. It only has a crappy Adrino 205 GPU, and the QSD8255. Dude, you are officially delusional. That phone will run circles around your phone... Sitting down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  14. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

Yes, but they don't have a d-pad and game buttons which are helpful. Otherwise, to me though, this phone looks underpowered compared to others.[/QUOTE]

Yea, it's underpowered alright. It only has a crappy Adrino 205 GPU, and the QSD8255. Dude, you are officially delusional. That phone will run circles around your phone... Sitting down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

No Dual Core processor. Small screen.

maybe wrong ofc. But anybody have specs?
    I searched
    Sony Ericsson Xperia

this correct name?
  15. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

Adreno 205 vs Tegra 2 based devices ?
  16. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Maybe the best prospect for this is Sony tightly integrating the PS3 with Android. Although since they killed Linux on the PS3 can't imagine we'll ever get much more than some PS3 apps for Android.
  17. knighthonor

knighthonor New Member

I cant edit post.

Does this thing have a FFC?

400 megabytes of internal memory? <---------!!!!!?????
    Thunderbolt has 768 MB <---------!!!!!

Why get this over the NGP? dont see a point.

All it take is Window Phone to come out with a controller phone, and boom, thats it for the Sony play Phone's top feature.

do you expect Developers to invest in this phone. a Rooted phone can take anything.

MWC 2011: Sony Ericsson overview - GSMArena.com

here a video preview.
  18. NeoLogic

NeoLogic New Member

Yes it does have an ffc.
    About the 400mb of memory. You have Ram and Rom. The Play has 512mb of Ram like the DroidX. The spec sheet says it has 400mb of Rom, but honestly I feel that's a typo. If it's only 400mb of rom, that's a deal breaker for me and about everyone who would use this phone.

19. NeoLogic

NeoLogic New Member

Also, about this phone being underpowered.. Sony is not stupid. They know a portable gaming device is worthless if it's battery life is not that good. I feel the choice of a 4 inch screen (which really isn't THAT small), single core processor (45nm to boot), and the Adreno, is an awesome combo. I'm hearing reports of amazing battery life for this device. Having a huge powerhouse of a mobile device isn't always great thing.

Besides, 60fps is 60fps. I don't see the need for dualcore on a gaming device. Dualcore and massive amounts of memory really only shine in multitasking environments. I don't know about you, but I can only play one game at a time, and read one email at a time. It's not like I'm encoding movies, working in photoshop, and burning dvds on my phone at the same time. Oh wait, that's what my computer is for. And with a price tag of $400, that's winner winner chicken dinner for me.

20. UNC

UNC New Member

Its a shame this thing isn't LTE... i'd definitely buy one.

Downloading .isos and playing online will be a chore over 3g!

And to the guy comparing this to the NGP... the NGP has a Quad-core processor... just because they can (maybe) port down ps3 games for it, means absolutely nothing to the SE Xperia Play.
Search tags for this page

how much the price of sony xpira

pirapeay