Sony Ericsson Android Bootloader Unlocking Website Goes Live

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
xperia_line_moddeable.jpg

In a smooth move by Sony Ericsson to 'go against the grain' and support modders better, their Android Bootloader Unlocking website just went live. Users with unbranded Xperia devices from 2011 and onwards like the Xperia Play, Arc, Neo, and Pro, can try out custom ROM's and mods easily and with some help from Sony Ericsson themselves. The only thing you will need is your phone's IMEI number, which gives you annlocking key to go with the Android SDK's fastboot program. The instructions are more detailed at the site link below. They do give the standard 'shpeel' that you could potentially brick your phone, so be cautious as always. For now, let's give a shout out to Sony Ericsson for supporting the Android community. Now, if we can only get them to release some even more exciting phones...

Thanks to my tipster, Tio Gardi!

Sony Ericsson Xperia Modder Unlock Bootloader Site
Source: Android.net via Engadget and XperiaBlog.net

illmatic636

Reaction score
Very smart way to capture a certain dev/mod motivated consumer.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Really cool of them to at least try this approach!! Hopefully it will catch on.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
i know what phone i will be picking up of theirs

edit : why doesnt moto or verizon do this lock a phones imei number into a database then fraud could be avoided

Last edited:

Tio Gardi

Reaction score
They also mention that this is for non sim locked phones. Does Verizon fall under that category? If so, :(

mikezq8ss

Reaction score
Wow, so Sony sues the crap out of kids across the country for playing with the PS3's, but they're part of this? I'm all for free access and the development of cool stuff for the Android platform, I just had to say I find this a little weird...

B-Unit

Reaction score
Yea, as much as I want an open handset, Im not sure Im prepared to support the monster that is Sony.

Decisions, decisions...

alquix

Reaction score
"Yes, I'd like to exchange my phone within it's warranty period for having an issue."
"Well it says here that you voided your warranty by unlocking your bootloader at one point"
"Damn you Sony!"

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Sorry...I have to be "that guy" OP...only because I have seen this word too often being used here on DF...

"Shpeel" is not a word...other than for people who do not know how to spell "Spiel"...or choose to think it is cooler...

Urban Dictionary lists "spheel", and not surprisingly, it has the basic connotation/definition as the Websters Dictionary for "spiel"...

Flame on people...:)

BodyBagz

Reaction score
And to Sony Ericsson...please forward your design model to Motorola, with 3rd grader level instructions on how to implement it...they need it bad.

Gunslinger

Reaction score
Sony-Ericsson is a completely different business entity than Sony Computer Entertainment America. I guarantee Sony-Ericsson could care less what SCEA's policy on hacking the PS3 is. Different products, different business models, different strategies.

That said, thank you Sony-Ericsson, for setting an example.

hairdewx

Reaction score
I like it! This phone will definitely be my next phone. I'm sure the modding community will move to this phone as well...

volando

Reaction score
Great news! Now for the real question... what phones are available from the that don't suck?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
kinda newbie question but is it possible to use this for other branded phones?..i know i know stupid question

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
This only helps those that buy gsm models directly from SE because any CDMA or GSM from a US carrier will be branded and thus not unlockable. So while this is great news for those outside the US, or those buying directly from SE and popping in their own SIM, for the rest of us we are still locked out of the phones we pay for.