somewhat easier guide to root your droid 2

Reaction score
What four files are you talking about? maybe I'm confused about that. When I extracted the download it came with: add-ons, platforms, tools, sdk manager, and sdk readme. I put those four files in tools, but I'm still getting the same message.

darkonion

Reaction score
What four files are you talking about? maybe I'm confused about that. When I extracted the download it came with: add-ons, platforms, tools, sdk manager, and sdk readme. I put those four files in tools, but I'm still getting the same message.

I can help you. Do you have Google Talk?

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

The four files from the droid root archive...they are:

- Busybox
- su
- superuser.apk
- rageagainstthecage-am5.bin

Extract those from the droid2root.rar archive and copy them into your /android/tools directory, then follow the instructions, running all your adb commands from the android/tools directory

This is assuming you installed the SDK to /Android.

darkonion

Reaction score

- Busybox
- su
- superuser.apk

Extract those from the droid2root.rar archive and copy them into your /android/tools directory, then follow the instructions, running all your adb commands from the android/tools directory

Yup. Already took care of it!

Arachnidus

Reaction score
I have a major problem. When I reach the point to verify connection to my Droid, I get an error that says Daemon failed to start. I can only guess that means ADB has botched. Can somebody fill me in on the problem?

Exact error dump: *daemon not running. starting it now*
ADB server didn't start ACK
*failed to start daemon*
error: cannot connect to daemon

I'd try closing the command prompt and restarting it. Then doing the adb devices again, and see if that works. If it doesn't, try updating the files for adb. Go to the setup.exe and it'll open a window and updated the files for 2.2.

Alas, I've tried that repeatedly; this is my fifth attempt rooting in almost as many days.

Scratch that, no joy. Updated again to dump the google APIs in, but to no avail. Everything's up to date.

Anybody know any solutions? I'm on Windows 7 64.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score

- Busybox
- su
- superuser.apk

Yup. Already took care of it!

Good... :)

Someone should update that rar so it has the newest version of superuser.apk....

darkonion

Reaction score
I'd try closing the command prompt and restarting it. Then doing the adb devices again, and see if that works. If it doesn't, try updating the files for adb. Go to the setup.exe and it'll open a window and updated the files for 2.2.

Alas, I've tried that repeatedly; this is my fifth attempt rooting in almost as many days.

Scratch that, no joy. Updated again to dump the google APIs in, but to no avail. Everything's up to date.

I'd just go to another computer and try it. Preferably a Windows XP one.

Arachnidus

Reaction score

If you could provide Ubuntu instructions, I could do it on my netbook.

darkonion

Reaction score

If you could provide Ubuntu instructions, I could do it on my netbook.

Figured it out. Going to write it up in a bit. Pretty easy as well.

Here you go. Figured it out for you. Finally finished at 5:30 AM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8103311&postcount=340