Sometimes I am tempted to go back to my original Droid

Zig8

Reaction score
I got the original Droid when they first came out and loved it... I still have it and play with it. Still works on WiFi. I waited forever for the Bionic to come out and have had a love it/ hate it relation with it ever since. Most of the time where I work it has fringe 3G/4G and no wifi. So my Bionic is always dropping the data... Grrr... My old Droid was slow because I had a lot of apps running. I am so tempted to go back to the old Droid and just run a few limited must have apps. How nightmarish would this be? If it didnt work, I could always switch back, right? Would I just have to go to my Verizon store and have them activate too,... then back to if I switched back. Or am I just ya know,... stupid? Im sure a lot of Bionic users were old original droid owners and maybe can relate to me...
Also the old Droid screen is just beautiful every time I look at it. :)

pistacio

Reaction score
No need to go to the Verizon store, just dial *228 to switch devices

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

mattjenn

Reaction score
If you ever want to go back to bionic need to go to a corporate vzw store to get new sim they are free for customers or call customer service

Bishang

Reaction score
If you ever want to go back to bionic need to go to a corporate vzw store to get new sim they are free for customers or call customer service

You don't need to get a new SIM, you can keep the same SIM to reactivate the droid bionic if/when you want to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mattjenn

Reaction score
Bishang said:
You don't need to get a new SIM, you can keep the same SIM to reactivate the droid bionic if/when you want to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I did not know that they had told me if it was over 24 hours I needed a new one that is good to know in future

Bishang

Reaction score
I did not know that they had told me if it was over 24 hours I needed a new one that is good to know in future

I think that was previously the case. Now, if a SIM is deactivated, after 24 hours you can use it to activate any 4G phone regardless of what number it was previously attached to for up to one year. Then it dies.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
No need to go to the Verizon store, just dial *228 to switch devices

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
Not that easy to swap between a 4G device and a 3G device. As a matter of fact, the OP may be required to drop their 4G plan and go back to a 3G plan. If so, bye bye unlimited data (assuming the OP has unlimited data)

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also, for data issues, you might want to try one of the ICS leaks before giving up on the Bionic. 6.7.232 is relatively safe because it can be reverted to Gingerbread if need be. Anything .235 and up, and you are stuck on ICS.

Bishang

Reaction score
Not that easy to swap between a 4G device and a 3G device. As a matter of fact, the OP may be required to drop their 4G plan and go back to a 3G plan. If so, bye bye unlimited data (assuming the OP has unlimited data)

It is that easy. If anything, it would direct them to customer service and they could do it. Another thing, Verizon doesn't differentiate the data plans for smartphones. The unlimited plan is the same for a 3G or 4G smartphone.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Dave12308 said:

There is no such thing as a 4g or 3g data plan. The OP can switch without "changing plans" and keep unlimited data.

OP
Zig8

Zig8

Reaction score
So what do you think? Is going backwards to the original droid crazy stupid? At least when I had it it always worked and didnt drop data. I think Im going to do it until I hear that ICE is finally rolling out on the Bionic. If I was rich I would just buy my way out of this phone and get the next thing, but I just feel numb about that now. Maybe I like the Gallaxy Note 2 if it comes to Verizon... Thats what makes me numb is all the games that Verizon is playing with us all. I think listening to Leo Laporte and coming to this forum just makes me crazy/mad. Also I feel like Im probably locked into this Droid Bionic or the old one because we are on the family plan. Wife has Droid 4, my Inlaws have 2 feature phones. So for me to upgrade now we would lose unlimited.
At this time it seems easier to go backwards and not lose unlimited...

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Zig8 said:
So what do you think? Is going backwards to the original droid crazy stupid? At least when I had it it always worked and didnt drop data. I think Im going to do it until I hear that ICE is finally rolling out on the Bionic. If I was rich I would just buy my way out of this phone and get the next thing, but I just feel numb about that now. Maybe I like the Gallaxy Note 2 if it comes to Verizon... Thats what makes me numb is all the games that Verizon is playing with us all. I think listening to Leo Laporte and coming to this forum just makes me crazy/mad. Also I feel like Im probably locked into this Droid Bionic or the old one because we are on the family plan. Wife has Droid 4, my Inlaws have 2 feature phones. So for me to upgrade now we would lose unlimited.
At this time it seems easier to go backwards and not lose unlimited...

1) Upgrade one of the in laws feature phones to a phone you want.

2) Deactivate phone and reactivate on your line.

3) Reactivate feature phone on in law's and drop additional data plan.