Something official should come today

akhi216

Reaction score

Freeman2u

Reaction score
Star tac for me?

I really think I'm going back to my bag phone or my really hot star tac until the vzw/moto clowns stop playing with the weak minds! Yes, I want one as bad as anyone else but enough IS enough is enough. Or I could get the old trusty "brick" back out......PL&H :)

bigdad63

Reaction score
Ten days from the 4th and no hype, giveaways or specs. Either vz shot their budget on the redo or charge campaign or the 4th is starting to look suspect.

DC4MVP

Reaction score
So, any reason why we should expect advance advertising and/or a non-silent release? The Bionic and the D3 are more similar than dissimilar and the D3 was "snuck" out;)

Craig

A friend of mine who is a tech guy for VZW (I know, very cliche) said that with all the buzz around the internet about phones like the Bionic in today's time, VZW just lets the internet do advertising for them and save a boat load of money instead of launching into a massive media advertising campaign like we saw in the early days of the Droids. They also let a lot of "in-store" advertising like kiosks, posters, etc. sell for them as well. Cheap and easy (like my ex-GF :icon_evil: )

With all the speculation and internet hype, even if they don't advertise the Bionic until a couple days before launch, it may still have solid launch week numbers then they can go into advertising a week or so after.

IDK, that's what he was saying and it makes sense to me.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I don't understand is, why aren't we seeing info from the guys who were sent the Bionic test units?

If we were close to a release date, wouldn't they be given the 'ok' to start leaking some more pictures and maybe even videos of using the phone?

Am I wrong to expect rough reviews from these testers?

Covington

Reaction score
So, any reason why we should expect advance advertising and/or a non-silent release? The Bionic and the D3 are more similar than dissimilar and the D3 was "snuck" out;)

Craig

A friend of mine who is a tech guy for VZW (I know, very cliche) said that with all the buzz around the internet about phones like the Bionic in today's time, VZW just lets the internet do advertising for them and save a boat load of money instead of launching into a massive media advertising campaign like we saw in the early days of the Droids. They also let a lot of "in-store" advertising like kiosks, posters, etc. sell for them as well. Cheap and easy (like my ex-GF :icon_evil: )

With all the speculation and internet hype, even if they don't advertise the Bionic until a couple days before launch, it may still have solid launch week numbers then they can go into advertising a week or so after.

IDK, that's what he was saying and it makes sense to me.

Pfft haha, this actually sounds...very believable. I think your tech friend may be very correct. That's for sharing this. It still gives me hope for the 8/4 release date.

GBH2

Reaction score
While I don't have a lot of faith in 8/4 being the release - I do agree that the lack of advertising doesn't tell us much. I think that since they got the iphone they don't really care about pushing android that much.

I do think the Bionic will be a big device for them, but they may just wait and advertise the iphone5 to try to pick off customers from ATT. I could see them running a big ad "Look we have the iphone 5! ... oh, yeah, and we've got a bunch of stupid android phones too"

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just don't buy it. You don't rely on a couple internet forums that represent maybe 2% of your potential buyers to hype up your phone. The other 98% of potential buyers won't even know the phones come out, therefore killing your initial sales, which looks bad when revealing it to share holders. Which is the only reason these companies make new phones, to increase stock prices and make investors money.

Last edited:

DC4MVP

Reaction score
I just don't buy it. You don't rely on a couple internet forums that represent maybe 2% of your potential buyers to hype up your phone. The other 98% of potential buyers won't even know the phones come out, therefore killing your initial sales, which looks bad when revealing it to share holders. Which is the only reason these companies make new phones, to increase stock prices and make investors money.

Well to be fair, I've yet to see an advertisement on the D3. I would expect TONS of advertising on the Bionic, though since it's the flagship LTE phone.

I'm just going by what he said VZW tends to do now. I believe it's a solid strategy but why would they do it with the Bionic? That's what baffles me...

You can hit up his twitter as well. He posts some good phone info and tech podcasts geared around phone, accessories, etc. reviews

@johnolesen

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well to be fair, I've yet to see an advertisement on the D3. I would expect TONS of advertising on the Bionic, though since it's the flagship LTE phone.

I'm just going by what he said VZW tends to do now. I believe it's a solid strategy but why would they do it with the Bionic? That's what baffles me...

You can hit up his twitter as well. He posts some good phone info and tech podcasts geared around phone, accessories, etc. reviews

@johnolesen

The D3 wasn't really anything new though. They keep rehashing the original droid and getting people to buy it, while the Bionic is advance hardware, 4g LTE, huge screen, prepared for the future(or was). It's an overused word, but game changer comes to mind.

When something like this comes along you make sure people are aware of it using advertisements.

Maybe we're just so far off that we're expecting ads too early.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score

@johnolesen

The D3 wasn't really anything new though. They keep rehashing the original droid and getting people to buy it, while the Bionic is advance hardware, 4g LTE, huge screen, prepared for the future(or was). It's an overused word, but game changer comes to mind.

When something like this comes along you make sure people are aware of it using advertisements.

Wasn't the D3 the first dual-core phone for Verizon? That seems like something new and more than just a rehash to me. With the bionic the screen isn't new (see Droid X) and 4G isn't new either (tbolt and charge). Even the processor wont be new unless its the 4460 instead of the 4430. The bionic is simply the one that combines all of those.

Speaking of ads, I've now seen a D3 commercial advertising the BOGO on the D3 three times on TV. Forget what stations though.

Sent from my Droid

i can read

Reaction score

@johnolesen

Wasn't the D3 the first dual-core phone for Verizon? That seems like something new and more than just a rehash to me. With the bionic the screen isn't new (see Droid X) and 4G isn't new either (tbolt and charge). Even the processor wont be new unless its the 4460 instead of the 4430. The bionic is simply the one that combines all of those.

Speaking of ads, I've now seen a D3 commercial advertising the BOGO on the D3 three times on TV. Forget what stations though.

Sent from my Droid

X2 was the first dual core phone

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

The_Rick_14

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

X2 was the first dual core phone

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Ah right forgot the X2 has a dual-core. Thanks for the correction. That actually further helps my point. Ha

Sent from my Droid

Lanops

Reaction score
Anticipation without any knowledge sucks don't it! Its like waiting 9 months to find out if ur having a boy or girl, and if he or she will come out normal!

I had to give up my X to my wife because I bought a Charge. I hated it and returned it. Now I'm stuck using my first Droid which I gave to my wife after getting the X! Funny how things work out. One step forward, 2 back. O the irony sucks. I think its time we have some phone goodness. RELEASE THE CRACKEN! Its time to give us what we want. Bring us the BIONIC Moto!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums