someone please give me more info!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by adtrx2012, Apr 22, 2010.

1. adtrx2012

adtrx2012 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So here is the deal I understand rooting and how to root my moto droid but there are a lot of things I still don't understand some terms and what not so someone please help.

When you root u bascically get admin rights to your phone like a computer.. but with that what magical amazing things can I do?

What is the true benefit of rooting???

What is nandroid?

I know what overclocking is but how much different is the speed?

And I'm going to ask same question twice hahahahah please in great detail tell me major benefits in rooting????

Thank u so much for any help guys

2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    just to list a few.. there are more things you can change with a rooted phone (like theming sort of), wifi tether, overclocking (yes, it makes a BIG difference. i rooted for this feature alone), youtube HQ hack, volume hacks, more apps avaliable, etc.. basically full control of your phone.

3. zathus

zathus Member

Ratings:
    +8
    on top of all that was already listed, the ability to change control files such as your build.prop. custimize market aplacations, like widgets and stuff. custom roms! thats a big one, cuz even with out overclocking a good rom like BB will still run faster and smother then stock.

4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Android OS is already the most customizable mobile phone OS - allowing you to change almost anything. There are still a few things that cannot be changed without root, though: the notification bar, system themes, the kernel, any files in /system, etc. You can edit your hosts file to block ads in all applications. You can share your data connection via wifi. You can take screenshots of any application you want. Pretty much anything.

You get control. If you've ever felt limited by not having access to something, that's the benefit of rooting. If you don't feel you're missing out on anything, it might not be worth rooting.

nandroid is a portmanteau of NAND and Android. It's a utility that can back up and restore the NAND-based flash filesystem of an android device to an SD card. You can access it from the bootloader (SPRecovery).

In simpler terms: it's a backup utility for your phone. Any time you want to, you can reboot into recovery and perform a backup. If you screw something up, you can reboot into recovery and restore to that backup point.

Stock processor runs at 550Mhz. People have overclocked as high as 1300Mhz. I wouldn't recommend going that high, but you will notice a difference at 700-800Mhz in how smoothly things happen.

Three times, actually :p

Think of it as the difference between renting and owning a home. If you're renting, you need to get permission from your landlord before doing ANYTHING. Sure, you can install furniture. You can change out SOME of the appliances. But you can't remodel the kitchen. You can't paint the walls, you can't rip out the carpeting and install hardwood floors.

Here's the bullet list of things I can think of that require root:
    - Screen Capture
    - Wifi Tethering
    - Overclocking
    - Themes
    - Replacement stock apps (dialer, messaging, etc). Replacement apps add features
    - Remove applications you don't want - free up storage and in some cases, memory (corporate calendar, amazon mp3 store)
    - Install Mobile Defense as a system app (if your phone gets stolen, you can remotely turn on GPS and track the phone. Without root, if GPS is not on, you can't turn it on without user intervention)
    - ad-blocking all apps (modifying /system/etc/hosts)
    - backup/restore entire system
    - Hacks to change video recording quality, modify youtube app to play in HQ by default

- Plenty of others I'm not thinking of

5. zathus

zathus Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Ive know what rooting is for about 2 years now, back with my G1 and now with my droid. but man, even know I know what it means and what it gives you.. that was one of the better breakdowns of what root really means. GOOD JOB! =)

6. ZBoater

ZBoater Member

Ratings:
    +0