someone has to say it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin vicious

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Droiders.. I have been coming in out of these forums and many others for a couple months. I left the iphone 3gs for Moto Droid then DI.. and i can say I dont regret the decision whats so ever. Now onto my point:

These phones continue to get more expensive and innovative, but something that has bothered me much is the amount of consumer abuse i see on these forums. Let me be the first to say if you exchange phones or return them because you had defect (or any legit reason), im not talking about you... But the folks who come here and return a product just because something more powerful or "better" is coming to market really just makes market conditions worst. When hardware is priced, returns and exhanges are all taken into consideration.. and it highlights the entitlement mentality this nation is currently enduring. Dont give me this: "HTC or Verizon is an evil corporation" or "They have so much money they can afford to deal with it".. its just utterly sad really! Someone drops the phone gets a little scratch wants to return it for a new one and demands it or they will cancel their account... a little accoutnability and due process is in order when investing a 200-400.00+ on a device, do the research, ask yourself "can i live with this device for the next two years", visit the store and ask some questions, play with it.. then sleep on it and come to a conclusion. If your accident prone buy the damn insurance

Like I said there are some real reasons for exchanges or returns.. but i cant tell you how many people really take advantage and abuse return policies that at the end are going to hurt consumers who have legitmate issues.

Now let all the namby pamby cry babys start their marxist gripes! :icon_eek:

cpjr

Reaction score
I completely agree...with part of that.

But on the same token, when someone pays for example, say $200 or so for a device and signs a new 2-year agreement and then the service provider releases a BETTER device just a month or two later for the same price, they have to expect some of that.

The fact that we see newer better devices almost monthly is a little retarded, these companies know what they are doing and know when they release something that they will be releasing something better next month...and still do it. Makes people kinda feel duked.

Also, Verizon (for example) offers a 30-day return for any reason policy....so thats on them, if you wanna return it within 30 days you shouldnt feel bad.

Now, as far as the people who drop their phones and want a new one cause they scratched it.....that is pure blatant thievery.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

But on the same token, when someone pays for example, say $200 or so for a device and signs a new 2-year agreement and then the service provider releases a BETTER device just a month or two later for the same price, they have to expect some of that.

The fact that we see newer better devices almost monthly is a little retarded, these companies know what they are doing and know when they release something that they will be releasing something better next month...and still do it. Makes people kinda feel duked.

Also, Verizon (for example) offers a 30-day return for any reason policy....so thats on them, if you wanna return it within 30 days you shouldnt feel bad.

Now, as far as the people who drop their phones and want a new one cause they scratched it.....that is pure blatant thievery.

Would it be better if they released new devices the same way new cars are handled? Once a year?

OP
S

sin vicious

Reaction score

So then the question is do you want innovation or stagnation? Cant have it both ways! If you dont want competition, choice, innovation then we'll see releases annually and we would still be seeing 500mhz with 2 mega pixels.. Sure the 30 days return policy for any reason are things that companys do because they have to in order to compete... but WE ALL PAY FOR IT... Dont forget this all about Money, people do this to get paid.

cpjr

Reaction score

Would it be better if they released new devices the same way new cars are handled? Once a year?

Well now that wouldnt make any sense now would it, considering we're not talking about a single make or model :icon_eek:

But obviously the entire way contracts and pricing are designed 100% benefits the provider without any consideration for the customers that keep that company profiting.

Maybe a lesser contract requirement (12 months instead of 24) or decrease in full retail pricing - I mean damn, average retail for a smartphone is well over $500, you can buy a decent laptop in that range. There is no need to be that greedy, on average there is a 300% or so mark-up vs cost. I know alot of money goes into it, but someone is getting very rich. Or maybe some type of tiered pricing for someone that is in a contract, not as cheap as a new contract price but cheaper than full retail.

Couple that with the outrageous pricing on phone/data plans and these companies need to learn to give a little more, they could still earn plenty of revenue.

cpjr

Reaction score

So then the question is do you want innovation or stagnation? Cant have it both ways! If you dont want competition, choice, innovation then we'll see releases annually and we would still be seeing 500mhz with 2 mega pixels.. Sure the 30 days return policy for any reason are things that companys do because they have to in order to compete... but WE ALL PAY FOR IT... Dont forget this all about Money, people do this to get paid.

Yall are completely missing my point. I love seeing new devices released, but the requirements to get one are stupid, a huge contract or retarded full retail pricing, they need to bend a little more if they are going to release devices none stop.

baniels

Reaction score
I don't understand. If I broke my Droid next month, what the hell would I say to Verizon (or Asurion) that would land me a new Droid X instead of a refurbished Droid?

And if you can't enjoy your phone unless it is the very best phone on the market, then you are a sorry victim of consumerism.

Enjoy what your device can do - it is still as functional as it was when you first unboxed it like a child on Christmas morning (remember?).

OP
S

sin vicious

Reaction score

Yall are completely missing my point. I love seeing new devices released, but the requirements to get one are stupid, a huge contract or retarded full retail pricing, they need to bend a little more if they are going to release devices none stop.

No Sir, I get your point. It goes something like this: "they are greedy" "they are rich" "they need to #%&*&".. this is not how business works. We do not make the terms.. we either agree and buy it or go somewhere else where the terms are more favorable. If you upset profitability you will stifle innovation they are both linked.. howling "you are greedy" isn't going to make investors confident to poor more money into R&D to continue innovating unless they see big gain$.

OP
S

sin vicious

Reaction score
...I left the iphone 3gs for Moto Droid then DI..

...But the folks who come here and return a product just because something more powerful or "better" is coming to market really just makes market conditions worst.

Hypocrite lol.

Again, Legitimate issue.. which was fixed thank God. You obviosuly have no reading comprehension.

OP
S

sin vicious

Reaction score
...I left the iphone 3gs for Moto Droid then DI..

...But the folks who come here and return a product just because something more powerful or "better" is coming to market really just makes market conditions worst.

Hypocrite lol.

Lets do this again ok.. re-read: "Let me be the first to say if you exchange phones or return them because you had defect (or any legit reason), im not talking about you".. lol.. really?

cpjr

Reaction score
No Sir, I get your point. It goes something like this: "they are greedy" "they are rich" "they need to #%&*&".. this is not how business works. We do not make the terms.. we either agree and buy it or go somewhere else where the terms are more favorable. If you upset profitability you will stifle innovation they are both linked.. howling "you are greedy" isn't going to make investors confident to poor more money into R&D to continue innovating unless they see big gain$.

Nope, your still clueless. Did you just jump in to be a close-minded trolling douche?

Funny, when I first joined the forum I thought it was full of OPEN minded, cool people to "hang" with. Seems now that the majority is close-minded and gets their panties in a wad if you speak anything that goes against their belief.

This is a forum, I am stating my OPINION for calm, intellegent discussion...get over it or get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.