Someone explain to me what exactly is Google Talk.

Grey Hawk

Reaction score
My girlfriend has it on her phone too, and I'm curious as to what exactly it is.

• What is it?
  • Is it free to use?
  • Why would you use it?
Any other information that would be helpful too, please share.

bastosero

Reaction score
My girlfriend has it on her phone too, and I'm curious as to what exactly it is.

• What is it?
  • Is it free to use?
  • Why would you use it?
Any other information that would be helpful too, please share.

Basically, Google Talk is Google's IM client. Yes, it's free to use. You can download the client, or you can incorporate it with your e-mail. Check the settings in your e-mail account. You can also download other clients that support Google Talk in the market. It's somewhere in there. It's used for chatting with your contacts. You can install a plug-in on your browser if you want to use a webcam and mic on your computer.

Google Chat - Chat with family and friends

EtherGnat

Reaction score
Google Talk is an instant messaging service using the open source XMPP protocol (which isn't really important, but it makes it easier to interoperate with other software). Like AIM or Yahoo Messenger it allows you to exchange messages with other users in real time--anybody with a GMail account.

Why use it? For starters it doesn't require any additional software and it seems to tie in better with Android than other IM software. Obviously it's also useful if you specifically want to chat with somebody that uses Google Talk.

bastosero

Reaction score
I hope someday that Google just integrates all of Google Talk, Google Voice, Orkut, Gizmo5, and Google Wave.

onthemark

Reaction score
Also, it acts just like your regular text interface except it is going out over the network so you are not using text charges.

searayman

Reaction score
mods can delete my post in this thread, i miss-read the question...

Last edited:

actrack03

Reaction score
I like the fact that you can be having a google talk session with someone from your desktop and then don't have to end the conversation when you have to leave your office or home computer just keep it going from your phone.

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
first you have to go to wave.google.com and sign up for an invitaion unless you find someone that has one availiable. But then you use your google voice just like your cell phone number and it transcribes e-mails for you, as well as gives you another number of your choosing so you dont have to give out your cell phone number. It also has call forwarding so like if you call my GV number then my office phone and cell phone ring. It also has call blocking and call screening....All for free.

Oh yeah you can set up your google voice access number as one of your 10 friends and family and as long as you use your GV number all your calls are free