Someone explain the wide variance in experiences with the Nexus to me?

wil318466

Reaction score
I just don't get it. I see posts of people having problems with their phones - data issues, 4g issues, dropped calls, horrible battery life.. you name it, there are posts about it.

The problem I have is I've never had ANY of these issues. I NEVER drop calls. 4g is super fast and always connects great. When I go into a 3g area everything transitions perfectly. Phone reception is perfect. Battery life is great. How can we possibly have this much of a difference in the way the Nexus works in different areas?

I'm not kidding when I say this device is the best thing I've ever bought, with the exception of Lasik eye surgery to fix my vision. Everything this phone is supposed to do it does with flying colors. It's fast, it works, and it's a great looking device. From reading some posts here you would think it's the worst 300 bucks you can spend, and I couldn't disagree more. It's almost perfect. So how can we have this much of a disparity? Is it location? Is it perception? Please, someone explain.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Some have issues some don't. Its like this with every phone really. Count yourself lucky. I know a few who have had data issues and some with none. But like anything, some are built better than others.

"Stay classy Interwebz"

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^Yep, I bought a Samsung TV and mine was great out of the box. I went online and read through a forum about the same TV and there were people having to return 4 to 5 of them to get one without problems. I had the same luck with the Nexus. Not one problem.

prowler85

Reaction score
I'm not kidding when I say this device is the best thing I've ever bought, with the exception of Lasik eye surgery to fix my vision.

Me too! And after my Lasik, my near vision isn't what it used to be, so this phone with the beautiful and large screen even helps me there! But my love for this phone is a close second to my Lasik surgery.:biggrin:

But I too don't get the wide range of issues. My phone has been as perfect as yours. And I have no clue what is up with that. I'd guess it's location based (on the fringe of a 4g area) and the occasional bad phone. Though I did have to put on a ROM to really get my battery life up. Wasn't a big deal as I can plug in all day at work, but it is way better now on weekends and gets me thru an entire day. And yes, this huge disparity in user experience is baffling.

hydro556

Reaction score
I think there are several contributing factors. One, the phone is brand new and fairly cutting edge. Second there is a 100% new and first of its kind OS.

Lastly, and I think this is a decent portion of it, the Nexus is/was touted for a long time as the BEST device ever released. This leads to a ton of people who want the device to fail, because of silly fan boy-ism. I think a lot of complaints are people flat out making things up online, or parroting things they have heard others say.

I think all phones have issues, and the more cutting edge or new that they are, the more teething issues they have. What makes or breaks any device is mfg support after release. This should end up a very strong point for the Nexus, as that is kind of the purpose behind all Nexus devices.

I can only speak for mine, and those of people I personally know. The devices were very good from the get go, with only minor, non terminal issues. Not unlike any other newly released devices.

Last edited:

thesoldier

Reaction score
I feel the biggest factor just might be location when it comes to problems. I live in Baltimore, MD with excellent 4G coverage. I get great battery life, using wifi when available and 4G when necessary, and have no reception issues.
Right now I'm on vacation in Florida and I'm in an area where they is no 4G coverage, but 3G is decent. I've been getting terrible battery life and have had problems keeping a data connection a few times. Its also been somewhat slow on 3G compared to back home.

These are just my experiences, but it seems location has a big deal to do with the problems people have.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

hydro556

Reaction score
I feel the biggest factor just might be location when it comes to problems. I live in Baltimore, MD with excellent 4G coverage. I get great battery life, using wifi when available and 4G when necessary, and have no reception issues.
Right now I'm on vacation in Florida and I'm in an area where they is no 4G coverage, but 3G is decent. I've been getting terrible battery life and have had problems keeping a data connection a few times. Its also been somewhat slow on 3G compared to back home.

These are just my experiences, but it seems location has a big deal to do with the problems people have.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

I would imagine there is some of that, but it still doesnt make complete sense to me.

I have no 4g coverage where I live, nor at my office. But about 15 minutes away, there is full 30 meg 4g. I usually run CDMA, but when I do switch over it does so with no drama. Just seems odd.