"Some USB Type-C Are Downright Dangerous" Google engineer takes on subpar USB Type-C cables

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Actually, as long as their phones use the same spec as their cables, I don't see how it's that big of a deal. Sure, they don't conform to the official Type-C spec, but if it does no harm to their devices, its not their fault people are buying them for other devices made with different specs...kinda.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
I agree and you are correct in theory. The issue is, there is a very clear spec and all manufacturers should comply with said spec.
If every manufacturer used their own spec and there was an issue with data or charging, you could have a horror show to deal with.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Being an IT guy, I know all too well about specs not being followed. Happens all the time. They start working on a new spec & companies start manufacturing things based on that spec before its finalized. Not good for the consumer, but it happens.

Good thing we have a forum like this to help us keep up on who's doing the right thing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That is the burden of being first. We went through it last year with turbo charging and now this year with USB C. I have noticed that Google seems to be the only ones vocal about this as Apple, who uses USB C on their new Mac books, have been silent (either that or we have ignored them). By CES we should begin to see USB C fill out. The company that we are waiting for with this is obviously going to be Samsung. Once we start seeing some of the Galaxy devices adopt USB C we should begin to see accessories level out.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Apple is silent because they couldn't care less. Apple advises all users that they only support Apple Accessories.