"Some USB Type-C Are Downright Dangerous" Google engineer takes on subpar USB Type-C cables

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
oneplus-2-cable.jpg

Benson Leung, a Google engineer and team leader posted the following on G+.

Benson Leung
Shared publicly - Yesterday 12:00 PM

"My team at Google has been very big proponents and innovators of USB Type-C. I've worked on two Pixel products now that use the connector and its related technologies (Power Delivery, Alternate Mode, USB 3.1). It really is an amazing little connector.

However, now that there are more and more Type C products rolling out from Nexus, One+, Nokia, and more, this I have found painfully true : USB Type-C will only be as good as its ecosystem, and more specifically, the worst of its ecosystem.

I have started reviewing USB cables on Amazon because I have gotten fed up with the early cables from 3rd party vendors that so blatantly flaunt the specification and I want to hold them to task.

You may not just get weird behavior from your devices with these bad cables... What some these vendors are doing is downright dangerous.

I've been contemplating setting up a blog where I document bad cables and perhaps give some insights into USB Type C as well.

#USB #TypeC ,
#Nexus #ChromebookPixel #PixelC

Edit : Want to help check your questionable cables, and have a Pixel 2015?
Hey all. A quick follow up to my previous post about USB Type-C cables. …"

Price doesn't determine quality or if the product is even built to spec.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I'm screwed. :eek: All the USB Type C cables and adapters I ordered are all from China via eBay. :D

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been purchasing third party cables for years, and haven't had a single problem yet. I believe it's another engineer bringing common sense to light to make Google look like the hero.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Anyone test the One plus One cables yet?

edit - He's tearing up companies on Amazon for not being compliant with USB.

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
Anyone test the One plus One cables yet?

edit - He's tearing up companies on Amazon for not being compliant with USB.
I really don't like how the author of this thread decided to link the topic title with the picture of the OnePlus cable. Kind of a crappy thing to do, in my opinion.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I really don't like how the author of this thread decided to link the topic title with the picture of the OnePlus cable. Kind of a crappy thing to do, in my opinion.
It's about the only known USB Type C cable and very distinguishable. There wasn't any ill intent on doing so.

Briankbl

Reaction score
If you wrote an article titled "Elderly man committed suicide" with a picture of Patrick Stewart, that would be messed up. No?

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nobody said the One+ cable was bad, its just a random picture relating to the topic. You could make the same complaint about any random picture of a cable they post. Relax.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I used the OnePlus cable because it stands out and was not meant to suggest that the OnePlus cable has any issues.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This has been a bad year for one plus. They can't seem to catch a break. They were put on blast for NFC and now being put on blast for their cables. They need a hug.

little-hug-drink.jpg

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This has been a bad year for one plus. They can't seem to catch a break. They were put on blast for NFC and now being put on blast for their cables. They need a hug.

little-hug-drink.jpg
Actually, as long as their phones use the same spec as their cables, I don't see how it's that big of a deal. Sure, they don't conform to the official Type-C spec, but if it does no harm to their devices, its not their fault people are buying them for other devices made with different specs...kinda.

Sent from my Nexus 6P