Some tips if your droid is running poorly

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by rancur3p1c, Jun 10, 2011.

1. rancur3p1c

rancur3p1c New Member

PSA, this made a nice difference on my phone--
    -Instead of upgrading your ROM (I had done this about 20x), just use Titatnium backup to backup all your apps, then do a clean wipe to one of the latest nightlies.
    -Uninstall you dialer helpers. I was using DialerOne, great app, but the droid has to keep both it and the Phone app + Storage in RAM.
    -use Root Uninstaller to remove Gallery, Email App. They both like to run in the background (even without email configured) and do "stuff" which inevitably pushes your recently used apps out to flash
    -Get the Supercharger v6 script, and configure using the guidelines available on google. Tweaks the OOM priorities for certain apps like launcher in a better way than simply (keep launcher in memory).
    -uninstall ADWLauncher (if you prefer LauncherPro like me) from CM7. This one may not run in background, don't recall, but it's not needed.
    -don't use anything besides the stock messaging app. It's got a smaller footprint than the other messaging apps.
    -turn off compcache and just rely on the OOM manager to do it's job. This is letting me get by running at 600-700mhz instead of faster
    -install the Deprimed kernel. Has better scheduler, lots of optimizations from a guy who's been custom compiling Linux kernels for 20 years. He knows what he's doing.
    -Post back here to report how these steps worked for you!
  2. Wetzilla

Wetzilla New Member

I've done all of these many times since the nightlies started coming out, and the only thing that has actually increased performance significantly is running the v6 supercharger script.
  3. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

Compcache + supercharger is amazing. an multitask even better. I don't see the point of getting rid of it.
  4. itchn2go

itchn2go New Member

can you post a link to the V6?
  5. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

6. cowdog

cowdog New Member

I had been running CM7.03 with stock kernel. Deprimed kernel made everything run more smoothly, and the superscript v6 transformed the overall performance. The little OG Droid is now ripping along. Thank you!
  7. Jon0309

Jon0309 New Member

What version of the deprimed kernel is the best to run, just the latest ?
  8. rancur3p1c

rancur3p1c New Member

yeah. 10chars
  9. rancur3p1c

rancur3p1c New Member

there may not be one. The bigger thing for me may have been getting rid of all the extra apps that apparently were running in the background nudging everything from RAM/CC to the flash. Before, if they were in CC, the CPU would have to decompress. I think when it was doing that it would probably start trying to write something to the flash too to free ram, bringing the whole system to a halt. I'll try reenabling compcache and report back.
  10. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Well, some of your suggestions did not really apply for me as I did not use dialer helpers and a few other things and I've been using Supercharger since it was first posted over on XDA.

I did however uninstall the stock email app as I use Gmail for all my email inlcuding pop3. I also turned off compcache. And I am amazed that the performance of my phone is even smoother and seems quicker too now. Of course this could all be a "placebo effect" kind of thing, but I'm good with it. :icon_ banana:

Thanks.
  11. GohanBurner

GohanBurner New Member

I haven't really been able to tell a difference in performance...Maybe it's just me?

I turned off compcache
    Deprimed @ 600min 800max
    Used option 8 (Multitasking) in the V6 script.

All I want is for my phone to be as responsive to the touch as...*cough*...the iPhone. As in, when I touch something I want it to be "touched" immediately, not 2 seconds or more later.
  12. zeppelinrox

zeppelinrox Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I like leaving JIT enabled but the phone is actually quicker to respond to touches with it JIT off
  13. chmcclellan

chmcclellan New Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but isn't the gallery critical to, um, look at/select/manage images?

Is there a better gallery replacement?

Have to second deprimed + supercharger being awesome. I have also found bumping VM heap size to 40 to be helpful (using VM Heap Tool, CM performance settings only goes to 32).
  14. kevdog

kevdog New Member

I actually thought compcache was helpful, not detrimental, as well as a swap partition.
  15. inmanster

inmanster New Member

I like QuickPic. It seems to me to load a lot faster then the stock gallery app. And to me if it seems faster then I'm going to use. Give it a try I think you will like it.
  16. chmcclellan

chmcclellan New Member

Thanks, I ultimately did decide to go with QuickPic after searching gallery replacements.

For people who are interested, cyanogenmod wiki has a page listing which programs can be removed.

I have been creating titanium backups, but haven't found that I needed anything. The phone is on point now, we'll have to see what happens after I go to the 7.1 RC.

-C
  17. volando

volando New Member

I switched to CM7 from Bugless Beast a few weeks ago. Buggy as all hell, and phone barely works now, slow, programs (like google maps!) malfunctioning, can't even connect it to usb (have to do it through recovery)... Terrible rom, I'm switching back. And yes, I have done the optimization script, clear wipe before installing and everything. I can't even imagine what non-power users have to deal with. /rant :(
  18. chmcclellan

chmcclellan New Member

Dude, easy on the hate. Unlike bugless or basically any other ROM you have tried, Cyanogen is built to work on a wide number of devices. There is essentially nobody doing what their team does. The fact is a number of developers built their gingerbread ROMs from cyanogen source. Bugless is Froyo, which the droid is more suited for. Some of us wanted to push this older device to its limit while waiting for an appropriate successor (which I am not sure we have seen yet).

If you can't get USB to work, you did something wrong. If you read through this section and take the time to learn from what prime, winner, godfather, and others have written, I'm sure you could optimize CM7 for your uses (I know because I have, and what was once slow and buggy flies). If you don't want to take the time, thats cool too. Either way the number of people here who love CM7 proves that its not the ROM, its you.

If you have the patience to stick around, I suggest reading:
    -Kernel (deprimed_test) - Break It If You Can
    -The Ultimate Apps2sd Thread!
    -CM7 - Swap? Compcache? Both?
    -My optimized build.prop

Between my ext4 linked2sd partition, compcache with backing swap, customized deprimed kernel, zeppelin's supercharger script and a modified build.prop, my phone flies and can carry as many apps as I want - I couldn't ask for any more.

Anyway, to act like there aren't people here helping those of us who want to make this stuff work do so, and that because you haven't taken the time to do what they have and what they have taught us to do, somehow this ROM sucks denigrates the service that they are doing. /rant
  19. inmanster

inmanster New Member

@ volando, I had a few issues when I first flashed CyanogenMod too. I've mostly used tUD and PE builds with a touch of MIUI and others. And each time I get use to one and switch to another it takes a day or two of tweaking and adjusting everything to get things to work the way I like. I had to flash CyanogenMod 7 three times in about two weeks to get a stable run that I can work with. That was mostly because I didn't have time fiddle with it and tried for a few hours then restored my previous setup. This weekend I took the time and did it right, I even downloaded all my apps from the market again instead of using TitB. And it is stable and quick. I'm still tweaking and hacking around with it, but it works great. Give the ROM a proper try before blasting it.
Search tags for this page
help droid x run faster
how do i get my droid x to run faster
how to get droid x to run faster
how to keep droid running fast
how to make a droid x run faster
how to make droid incredible 2 run faster

how to make droid x run faster

how to make droid x runs faster
how to make droid x2 run faster
how to make my droid x2 run faster
how to make the droid x run faster