1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Some SDK Help?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by HikenGruven, Feb 5, 2012.

1. HikenGruven

HikenGruven New Member

So I have a Galaxy Nexus and am trying to install SDK to unlock my boot loader. I'm using this method: Howto: Install the Android SDK - CyanogenMod Wiki and am on step #10.

#10 In the "Variable values" section, add at the very end the location of the tools & package-tools folder, with a semicolon separating these two paths from the rest, e.g. %SystemRoot%;C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools.

When I go to the variable values section on my computer, here is what I see: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\

Where is this "tools & package-tools folder" that the instructions speak of?
  2. chrstdvd

chrstdvd New Member

If you installed the sdk on your drive C in a folder android-sdk-windows then just copy what is in the step 10
    ;C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
    and paste it to the end of the Variable Value.

Here is what I have pasted into mine. I renamed the folder on C from android-sdk-windows to just android.
    ;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\android\platform-tools;C:\android\tools

All you are really doing is setting up your computer to look for adb and other commands in these two folders when you are in the command prompt. This way you do not have to navigate to C:\android\tools to use the executable files in that folder.

If you are unclear, open windows explorer and choose drive C: Look for a folder "android-sdk-windows" then inside that folder you will see folders named Tools and another Platform tools. Inside those folder you will see executable files with an .exe extension.
  3. macpro88

macpro88 Super Moderator

Here is an easy way to install the SDK for Android.

-Download the .zip file for Windows from the Android Dev site
    -Unzip the folder to extract the root android sdk folder
    -place that folder anywhere you want, easier if you place it in a shallow directory​
    -ie: place it on the root of the C:\ that way the directory is shallow when you go to run tools from CMD
    -Once you have the folder placed where you want it, open it up and run the SDK Manager application​
    -It will run, select and only select the "tools," "platform-tools," and I usually check the "Google Drivers" further down as well​
    -Once everything has downloaded you should be good to go

To use the tools needed, you will need to open up Window's command prompt application, keyboard shortcut is "Windows Key+R" then type "cmd" and hit enter.

Now you need to point cmd to the platform-tools folder:

Code:
    cd C:\android-sdk\platform-tools\
    Hit enter, and you are now inside the platform-tools folder and you can now run adb and fastboot commands.

By the way, you can set this up however you want, they are all standalone apps (somewhat, as long as all supporting .dll files are in the same directory).

Mine is set up as such C:\android\platform\ and C:\android\tools\. This makes it easier to cd (change directory) to the folder I need to use. My platform folder is just the platform-tools folder renamed and the android folder is just android-sdk-whatevertherestis renamed to android.

Enjoy
  4. HikenGruven

HikenGruven New Member

Arrgghh! "adb is not recognized" in the command prompt. I got the same error when trying to manually configure the drivers for Wug's Nexux Tool Kit (after repeating the process dozens of times). I give up tonight and will try to start fresh tomorrow.
  5. bhfd64

bhfd64 Premium Member Premium Member

6. HikenGruven

HikenGruven New Member

So I'm seeing the following error about ADB server failing. I've seen this before. What does that mean?
  7. HikenGruven

HikenGruven New Member

I swear I keep doing this for different methods and am following the instructions to a "T". Then I get to the command prompt and it still says "device not recognized" blah blah. I suppose I'll try The Unlockr method posted now.
  8. HikenGruven

HikenGruven New Member

Sucess! I don't know what it was, but after the 15th try, something worked! I went ahead and unlocked the boot loader. Aside from a "waiting on device" issue which I was expecting and ready for, it was flawless. Thanks to All! Now if I can just get up the guts to root. That's another night.