Some Photo Storage Issues

pdmike

Reaction score
I have a question about photo storage on the Incredible. I have my camera set to "Storage Card" rather than "Phone Storage." I have done that because I want photos I take to be stored on the SD storage card, rather than in phone memory or wherever they are stored when one checks Phone Storage.

Anyway - it isn't coming out that way. Photos I take are NOT stored on the SD card. Rather, they are appearing in my DCIM directory. Aren't they supposed to appear on my SD card, since I have the camera set for "Storage Card"?

Furthermore, I have a number of photo files in my DCIM directory that are in RAW format. I never asked for that. I can't view them. What's that all about?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe the DCIM file is on the SD card. Does you Gallery app not access the photos? RAW is a good format especially if you transfer to your computer.

OP
pdmike

pdmike

Reaction score
I believe the DCIM file is on the SD card. Does you Gallery app not access the photos? RAW is a good format especially if you transfer to your computer.

My Gallery app accesses the photos. It looks as thought the DCIM directory is on the SD card. I had assumed it was not.

OK - what's the difference between the "Storage Card" and "Phone Storage" camera settings? (I am referring to the settings that are located in the Camera mode. Open Camera, as if going to take a pic. At top of screen is a down arrow, which is the menu. Click on the Settings icon (last one down) and then on Storage, which is 5th row down.)

I assume these two settings have to do with where photos are stored once they are taken, right? So where are they stored, respectively with each of the two settings?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a rooted Droid and I just checked the options on my camera. I could not find down arrow nor could I find anything that would allow me to change where my photos are stored.

I'm guessing that the "Storage Card" is the SD card and "Phone Storage" is internal memory. If that is correct, I would sent everything to the SD card. Memory is too precious to use for photos.

Mike