Some of the worst battery life I've ever seen????

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just noticed something strange with my battery this morning as well. I usually keep my phone plugged into my computer here at work to keep it charged, but while watching an episode of Family Guy (while still plugged to the computer) my battery life went from 100% to 50%. Should it have gone down that much? I figured since it was plugged into the computer it shouldn't have went down like that. I take it this thought is flawed?

Check to see if it is actually charging when hooked up to the computer. USB ports do not have the same charge level as the AC adapter.

It is. By the time I got back to my computer my battery was down to 40%. I plugged it in and it has gone up to 50% now.

Yeah I know USB charging doesn't charge as fast as a wall charger, but I wouldn't expect it to go down that quick.

Thoraldus

Reaction score
I just noticed something strange with my battery this morning as well. I usually keep my phone plugged into my computer here at work to keep it charged, but while watching an episode of Family Guy (while still plugged to the computer) my battery life went from 100% to 50%. Should it have gone down that much? I figured since it was plugged into the computer it shouldn't have went down like that. I take it this thought is flawed?

Check to see if it is actually charging when hooked up to the computer. USB ports do not have the same charge level as the AC adapter.

It is. By the time I got back to my computer my battery was down to 40%. I plugged it in and it has gone up to 50% now.

Yeah I know USB charging doesn't charge as fast as a wall charger, but I wouldn't expect it to go down that quick.

There are a couple things that can bring the battery to it's knees...

Bad cell tower signal - radio starts pumping out 600mw trying to stay connected.
Li-Ion Battery overheated - not a good thing.
Li-Ion battery at end of useful life - too many deep discharge cycles.

SoDroid

Reaction score
Just read through the thread:

1) I tested battery life using the built in Sapphire governor vs. SetCPU, SetCPU did much better in terms of battery longevity.

2) Sapphire and BB 0.4 have the best battery life of all roms I've tried. I don't believe switching away from either of those two roms will increase battery life.

3) The kernels made by cvpcs for Sapphire are very good! Slayher is also making some very nice kernels with an interactive governor. (He says its like the middle ground between Ondemand and Performance). User reports indicated great performance and prolonged battery life. Link here.

4) CCiscool, I use to have a SetCPU profile for 400MHz at 30%, the phone was nearly unusable for me. Just FYI.

5) To the OP, its possible that your battery is nearing the end of its life cycle. I and many others at Android Forums have ordered these OEM batteries from Amazon. The cost was $3.43. I bought 2, have only used one but it lasts slightly longer than my original battery. The manufacturers date also indicates that its newer than my original battery. The link we purchased from is here. These batteries are definitely good. I would think it was a scam if I didn't have 2 myself, and have read posts from over 20 other people at Android Forums who also purchased. The link to that thread is here.

Edit: apparently I can't post a link with the word "s-h-i-t-a-k-i" in it. Regarding the Android Forum link above, replace the **** with s-h-i-t (no dashes).

Last edited:

hakaida

Reaction score
After I posted about having terrible battery life I've changed a few things and I am now getting way better battery life.

Here's what I changed.

My agenda widget was updating every 15 minutes. I changed it to never update and I would just do a manual update every time that I added or changed an entry on the desktop computer.

Remembered to turn off wifi when leaving the house.

Went back to a regular wallpaper instead of the droid 2 lwp.

Download program updates only when I'm charging the phone with the electrical plug.

Weatherbug elite widget changed to update every hour.

Removed setcpu widget.

ukyfan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I brought a wall charger to work to keep my phone charged, but once again my battery dropped to 50%. If I had the phone massively overclocked I could understand, but I am running at a max of 600. Is watching videos that rough on the phone that it uses more battery than it can take in while charged?

Thoraldus

Reaction score
Well I brought a wall charger to work to keep my phone charged, but once again my battery dropped to 50%. If I had the phone massively overclocked I could understand, but I am running at a max of 600. Is watching videos that rough on the phone that it uses more battery than it can take in while charged?

I would pop for a new battery and see if your present battery has lost capacity.