Some of the more subtle differences between Droid-1 and 2. *Day-1*

OP
M

moneymatt

Reaction score
So it would have been, what, 14/10 except for the flaws?

Nah, screw it- I'm going 20/10!.. no wait, 20/5 !

just for the swearing feature alone.. ;)

still just day-1 but i love it..
my old droid but better.

$m

swankylaxplayer

Reaction score
On a side note, my upgrade came because the screen on my droid-1 lost half it's functionality and it's now considered a discontinued phone. Verizon just dropped a droid-2 on me instead as a replacement.

$Matt

Surprised no has questioned this - so Verizon - not Asurion - gave you a Droid 2 as replacement for your Droid? As in in-store?

Last edited:
OP
M

moneymatt

Reaction score
On a side note, my upgrade came because the screen on my droid-1 lost half it's functionality and it's now considered a discontinued phone. Verizon just dropped a droid-2 on me instead as a replacement.

$Matt

Surprised no has questioned this - so Verizon - not Asurion - gave you a Droid 2 as replacement for your Droid? As in in-store?

Yes- I had gone in store originally to replace the droid-1 for a broken screen and it was still covered under warranty. They didn't have any droid-1's in stock, none in any nearby stores, and the warehouses were all showing 0 stock. I think its a business move on Verizon's part to phase out the droid-1 completely..

They offered me an incredible but I said I wanted to continue to use the droids accessories so they moved me into a droid-2.

score!

swankylaxplayer

Reaction score

$Matt

Yes- I had gone in store originally to replace the droid-1 for a broken screen and it was still covered under warranty. They didn't have any droid-1's in stock, none in any nearby stores, and the warehouses were all showing 0 stock. I think its a business move on Verizon's part to phase out the droid-1 completely..

They offered me an incredible but I said I wanted to continue to use the droids accessories so they moved me into a droid-2.

score!

...oh crap, I think my droid just stopped working...:ph34r:

time to start calling around to make sure no more stores have the Droid in stock

Last edited:

mindytyson3

Reaction score
So I just moved from a stock Droid 1 running 2.1 to a Droid-2 on 2.2. Here's some of the out of the way differences i've found.

1) The phone now allows you to voice dictate dirty words!!
I love that I can now curse out my droid and it knows exactly what i'm talking about. No more ####
Settings->Voice Recognizer Settings->Adjust SafeSearch for google by voice / Uncheck 'Block Offensive Words'
It's a great feeling to know Steve Jobs isn't there to protect me from the evils of the world.

2) MediaShare is pretty damn cool! ..
You now have a one-click option to copy files wirelessly from your computer to your phone, copy files from one phone to another, or play a video from your phone on a T.V.

3) MediaShare is scary-
It also operates as a kind of one-stop hacker tool. You can walk around a city and have it notify you of open network shares.. and then you can click a button and move files from people's unsecured computers. It's kind of frightening to me that Droid-2 is unleashing that kind of wardialing functionality on the world.

4) Google's new voice command support is ridiculously powerful.
"Set Alarm Clock for 8 a.m." BOOM
"Text Annie i'll meet you at the club in twenty minutes" BOOM
That's just scratching the surface..

It's new integration with all text fields is pretty well done and extremely useful.

5) MotoBlur is no big deal.
A lot of people are freaking out about motoblur ruining the droid experience but that's a load of crap.
It's really just a bunch of widgets you don't have to use and for me are already in the trash. The new home navigation system is really good.

6) The Droid-2 DOES NOT fit in the old droid car navigation dock!!
damn it! I have a custom setup in my car with the old dock hot-glued above my stereo and now have to upgrade to a new one.
The new droid 2 car navigation dock is much more awkward to insert the phone into, but it does have a dedicated power-supply now which is useful. At least you get some new functionality out of repurchasing the accessory.

7) The Droid-2 DOES fit in the old multimedia dock.
A tighter squeeze but it works. thank god. I would have gone ballistic if Motorola had done the RIM move of moving the usb port 1/8 of an inch in another direction.

8) The Droid-2 clock interface when you put it in the multimedia dock is UGLY AS SIN.

A cluster-**** from hell. what a nightmare and a huge step backwards. What were they thinking?!

9) Applications I purchased with my google account on Droid-1 are NOT showing up as already puchased on the droid-2..

I hope this is user error on my part and I don't have to repurchase apps. I was fine when I had to move purchased apps to an incredible so I don't know what the hell is going on.

10) The forced bloatware SUCKS. In particular "City-ID" ..

There's a forced caller-id feature that asks me if i'd like to pay 2 dollars a month for after I finish phone calls. There's no way to delete the app, and I can't even say i'm not interested, just that i'd "like to continue the trial" or "purchase"

It just waits for you to push the wrong button after a call and subscribe.. HORRIBLE.

11) The keyboard is way better..
I now can type with flat fingers instead of just the pointed pecking tips. Good Job.

12) You can now configure a "double-tap" for the home button.
Settings->Application Settings->Double Tap Home Launch. About ten things to choose from, I have it set for texting.

All in all this upgrade is awesome. The phone is way more responsive, the functionality has gone up in a good way, and it's truely a productive device..

Of course there's also the one-click wireless hotspot which rules, FLASH works WELL, and all the other known additions.

11/10 in my book.

go droid-2! I couldn't be happier about the upgrade.

$Matt

thanks for the info! i am glad it works for ya and now i know that i really really want one! thanks again!

OP
M

moneymatt

Reaction score
So how's the battery life?

It's been good- Seems on the same level as the Droid-1, I make it through my day no problem with moderate to heavy usage.. (no more than 15 mins of gaming, video, or flash though).

I ordered the extended battery from verizon- have no idea what it looks like though..

Also the new car dock with a dedicated power supply is a helper-

m