Some of Mark Zuckerberg's Social Media Accounts Were Hacked

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
zuck_pinterest_hacked.png

If you have been starting to worry that your online presence is easily compromised, then this report will NOT do anything to allay those fears. If you have always assumed that we are all easily hacked, then you have probably been right the whole time. The latest news worthy hacking success seems to prove that.

Mark Zuckerberg himself had several of his own social media accounts hacked over the weekend. The Zuck's Twitter, Pinterest and maybe his Instagram accounts were breached on Sunday. Supposedly, the way his accounts were hacked was because of the LinkedIn security breach from back in 2012.

Basically Zuckerberg doesn't get on those accounts anymore and didn't ever bother to change the passwords. When the LinkedIn account passwords were compromised (something that came to light only recently), a group called OurMine was able to get hold of Zuck's password which was supposedly "dadada." This was the same password he used for Twitter, Pinterest and his Instagram accounts, so he was easily compromised. The OurMine group claimed responsibility for the hack, but also indicated that they were simply trying to raise awareness.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm guilty of using same or similar password for everything, but it's not as simple as dadada.
I'm trying to change that but finding a solution that's easily remembered and differentiates constantly is difficult.
One idea that I think might work is having a Web site or company name in the password where you are trying to get access. That way each site will have it's own password but also would be easily remembered.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm guilty of using same or similar password for everything, but it's not as simple as dadada.
I'm trying to change that but finding a solution that's easily remembered and differentiates constantly is difficult.
One idea that I think might work is having a Web site or company name in the password where you are trying to get access. That way each site will have it's own password but also would be easily remembered.

Look into using LastPass or a similar service. It'll import any saved passwords you have in your browser as well as save them as you add them. It'll audit your passwords for easy/repeated passwords and then alert you to change them. When you create an account or change a password you can have it generate a strong one for you too. The service is free on the computer but costs 1 dollar a month for access to their mobile app. Its a small price to pay for ease of use. If you have a phone with a fingerprint scanner, you can use that too to fill in passwords. I do have an exported list of all my accounts and passwords that I keep offline just in case but for 2 years now, no issues.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Look into using LastPass or a similar service. It'll import any saved passwords you have in your browser as well as save them as you add them. It'll audit your passwords for easy/repeated passwords and then alert you to change them. When you create an account or change a password you can have it generate a strong one for you too. The service is free on the computer but costs 1 dollar a month for access to their mobile app. Its a small price to pay for ease of use. If you have a phone with a fingerprint scanner, you can use that too to fill in passwords. I do have an exported list of all my accounts and passwords that I keep offline just in case but for 2 years now, no issues.

Any advice on how to get teh "Auto PW Change" feature working better? I tried to use that last week and it failed for most of the ones it tried, couldn't even try for the majority, and had double entries for the ones that it did change successfully. In short, it kind of was a crappy experience.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Any advice on how to get teh "Auto PW Change" feature working better? I tried to use that last week and it failed for most of the ones it tried, couldn't even try for the majority, and had double entries for the ones that it did change successfully. In short, it kind of was a crappy experience.

I did each of mine manfully and didn't use the auto feature. My guess is that Laspass has to work with the company directly to get that function working right.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did each of mine manfully and didn't use the auto feature. My guess is that Laspass has to work with the company directly to get that function working right.

That's what I was afraid of. That would be a killer feature if it worked. :confused:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
That's what I was afraid of. That would be a killer feature if it worked. :confused:

Honestly, it took me all of maybe 30 minutes to change all my passwords. I focused mostly on things that deal with money (bills, online retailers, etc) and after that, if I logged into a random account, I'd change it then. Worth the process IMO. I haven't typed in a password in 2 years on my computer or my phone.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
My philosophy is if someone is going to hack my account they will do it no matter how complex my password is....

But I can't fathom why anyone would put any effort into getting into my accounts.

I am more worried about them hacking the sites that store my card info and obtaining that as opposed to gaining access to my Twitter account with my 7 followers...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
My philosophy is if someone is going to hack my account they will do it no matter how complex my password is....

But I can't fathom why anyone would put any effort into getting into my accounts.

I am more worried about them hacking the sites that store my card info and obtaining that as opposed to gaining access to my Twitter account with my 7 followers...

I agree @Miller6386 .. We all know the only reason this hit the news is because it's Zuckerberg. There are probably hundreds of sites that get hacked that we never hear about...

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

Never store your card info.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

I agree to a certain degree but things like my Amazon account or my Newegg account where payment information is stored. I don't want to be the weak link for someone compromising my account. I'd rather that be the company that has my information. They are financially capable (usually) to respond accordingly.