Some Observations

dwagner88

Reaction score
I went into the store about an hour ago to play with the device. I don't have any upgrade eligibility, and hadn't planned on paying full retail, so I went in with an open mind, and not convinced that I needed one.

After playing with it for as long as I could (had a big line of people behind me) I'm still not convinced. There are a couple of issues:

1. The camera sucks. It may have more pixels, but it seems to be just as slow as the original Droid, with only slightly better indoor quality. I didn't notice any stiffness to the button like Engadget did though.

2. With a phone this powerful, there is ZERO excuse for choppy homescreen transitions. To make sure there wasn't an app hanging up or slowing it down, I rebooted it, and it was still choppy. Why can't Motorola get this right? HTC does. The developer of Launcherpro does. There wasn't really any lag to speak of when switching screens, but there was more chop than I have on my OG droid using Launcherpro.

3. The Blur widgets don't mesh well with the Droid X theme. Maybe I just noticed this more because I had read the scathing Gizmodo review before I left to go play with the phone, but it almost looks like some of the tackier custom theme jobs seen here in the hacks section.

Other than that, the phone felt nice in my hand, and the multitouch keyboard was pretty awesome (hope it gets ported to froyo soon). The size wouldn't have been an issue for me, but I can certainly see how it could be for some people. Loading up something like Launcherpro would fix two of the three problems I mentioned above, but I'm left a little frustrated. This phone would be great with a faster camera app, and STOCK ANDROID.