1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Some Noob questions ...perhaps?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Geken, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Geken

Geken New Member

Hi Guys,

So I've been researching the root for a while now and finally got the balls to get up and do it. I installed 2.1 successfully, and I even know how to unroot by recovering to the original update.zip. My questions are a little particular and I've searched the forums with no luck. So here goes.

I installed the 2.1 ROM stickied at the top of this forum. I would like to change the ROM over to something new.

So during my initial install I followed all of the instructions about mounting the system, flashing recovery, etc. etc. My question is, do I have to go through this process again to flash over a new ROM. As in, do I have to revert to my stock nandroid back up, re-mount, re-flash recovery etc?

Or

Can I simply flash the newest ROM from the Nandroid back up screen?

I guess I am looking for instructions for those of us that made it passed all of the initial installations of busybox, and stuff like that.

Let me know if you all have any input, it would be much appreciated
  2. hughesjr

hughesjr New Member

This totally depends on what is included with each ROM that you want to load.

The sholes ROM totally erases the /system directory ... so there is minimal interference if installing on top of another ROM. This would be especially true if you erased your /data and /cache when doing the upgrade.

However, with any ROM, there is a chance that not installing from the "Standard Android OS" will cause problems. This is because each of the ROM designers is messing the OS, and they are all handling different things in different ways (busybox in /system/xbin or /system/sbin ... busybox compiled with or without certain compression type enabled, different versions of bash, etc.).

So, it is certainly safer to flash back to your initial OS and then apply the new ROM.
  3. Geken

Geken New Member

Thank you for your reply,

So I guess what you are saying is that I should flash back using nandroid?

Or

That I should flash back completely and re-root, and go through the entire process from scratch?