some noob questions, help please

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by ollie00, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ollie00

ollie00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    first off this place is great. i have been reading a lot of these posts and my head is spinning. Too much great information, if that is possible? Is it bad to want to root my phone after having it for 4 days and im not sure exactly why? Anyway, i just have a few questions which i know are very basic but i am very overwhelmed. thanks ahead of time for putting up with the questions,

i downloaded a new sms/mms app (handcent), but both apps come up now when i receive a message. how do i undo the stock mms app?

as far as media players go, i have been used to itunes. do i just plug in my phone, add music to the sd card? is there a certain media player and a file manager that is standard? favorites of users?

is there a way to get rid of the preloaded apps without rooting your phone?

not a huge fan of the preloaded ringtones/notifications or the apps with ringtone songs, basically, i just want the classic ring and basic notification beeps (like bb)? suggested app?

I know these are very boring and probably not the right place to post them but i would appreciate any help. thanks a lot

2. KHeeney5

KHeeney5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use PowerAmp and Mixzing... I just have a folder called "Music" on my SD card. Drag all my iTunes music into it. Note that the X or any other non apple device will not play DRM protected music.

3. Arbor12

Arbor12 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For the texting issue you have to turn off the notifications for the stock texting app,then u will only get the handcent notifications and as for music I use power amp and isync to sync my itunes.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

4. ollie00

ollie00 New Member

Ratings:
    +0

thanks. how exactly do i do that? And Is it worth it to buy the power amp or will the free one work just fine?

5. timrock

timrock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    go into Messaging, text Messaging and bring up the menu. click message settings and uncheck the notification option.

i also user poweramp and love it. i purchased it some time ago, so im not sure of the difference between the paid and unpaid version. but believe me, its worth paying for.

6. timrock

timrock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh, and there is no way to get rid of the pre installed apps without rooting.

7. dtsig

dtsig Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use winamp ... it is free and a great app