Some Nexus 6P's back camera glass spontaneously shattering?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's bad enough I'm stuck with the wife's old S3 while it's being fixed, but I discovered the hard way the the Mini Racing Adventure (or whatever) game that I've recently become addicted to doesn't auto-save to the cloud. I have a bad habit of assuming that games that use Google Play Games login do that automatically. I launched the game on the S3 last night to find I'd started over. Tapped the cloud icon and it said "No saved games" and gave me the option to save now. DOH! Had I known that, I'd have definitely saved my progress. I was actually playing the game on my 6P when I got the email with my shipping label. :(

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
UPDATE 2.0.1: Phone is out for delivery in TX. The label they sent me was for 2-Day Air, but the Holiday and weekend got in the way. Hopefully they ship it back just as fast (if not overnight).

Now, it'll be interesting to see how well they communicate about the status of my phone. Will they let me know they received it? That they're looking at it? That it's being repaired? That it's finished being repaired? I assume I'll at least get an email with tracking info when it's on its way home, but I'm wondering if that'll be the only correspondence I get from them during the process.

Will be interesting to see.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
UPDATE 2.1: There's a parts shortage and I just received a courtesy call that there may be a delay of a few extra days on top of the 10-14 days that they said it should normally take. He said it shouldn't take even an extra week and that they were calling everyone who'd sent them devices for similar repairs, so he didn't know if my specific ticket was affected by the parts shortage or not, but they are calling everyone individually just to let them know that there's a possibility of a few extra days wait time.

While it sucks that I may have to wait longer to get my phone back, I really appreciate that they took the initiative to call and let me know the status of my repair. They've only had it for about a week, so I'm still within the origin estimate of the time-frame anyway. I was actually just thinking about how much longer I would give them before calling to see if they had any update for me.

The next update I get from them should be my tracking info, indicating that the phone is on its way home. I'm ready to have it back for sure.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
UPDATE 2.1: There's a parts shortage and I just received a courtesy call that there may be a delay of a few extra days on top of the 10-14 days that they said it should normally take. He said it shouldn't take even an extra week and that they were calling everyone who'd sent them devices for similar repairs, so he didn't know if my specific ticket was affected by the parts shortage or not, but they are calling everyone individually just to let them know that there's a possibility of a few extra days wait time.

While it sucks that I may have to wait longer to get my phone back, I really appreciate that they took the initiative to call and let me know the status of my repair. They've only had it for about a week, so I'm still within the origin estimate of the time-frame anyway. I was actually just thinking about how much longer I would give them before calling to see if they had any update for me.

The next update I get from them should be my tracking info, indicating that the phone is on its way home. I'm ready to have it back for sure.

You are surely taking this much better than I would have.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, I knew going in that they expected it to take at least 10-14 days from the time they received it to replace the part. They got it a week ago yesterday. If they'd waiting until the 14th day to let me know there may be a delay, I wouldn't be taking it so well. But, when they said 10-14 days, I always assume that means business days, which means they've only had it for 7 of those, counting the day it arrived there and today. Still within the best case scenario I was given before I committed to sending it in for repair.

Does it suck to be without this phone for this long? Absolutely. While I miss it almost daily as I deal with this S3, I knew what I was getting into before I packed my 6P up. There's no reason for me to get all worked up when they're doing all that they said they'd do, it's taking the amount of time that they estimated, and they went out of their way to let me know there could be a few days delay before they'd even gotten into the estimated deadline they originally gave me.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
UPDATE 3: Had a little scare. Got an automatically generated email that they'd received my device today.

Just now, I got an email with tracking info though. Nothing showing up on UPS yet, but we're still in 2 weeks range, so my hat is off to them for getting it taken care of with the parts shortage.

Now, the only issue is that an adult signature will be required. May have to just request they hold it for me at the store or the location when tracking info finally shows up on their site.

Thank God it's coming back. I definitely couldn't take another full week of this S3. Haha

Sent from a backup S3 :(

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
1f0d818d36c136b9aac7949d13478495.gif

The waiting game sucks.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Supposed to be in town Thursday. Here's hoping the weather doesn't slow it down.

FYI, if your name is spelled wrong and you have UPS MyChoice, you may get an error saying that the package isn't addressed to you so you can't select to pick your package up at a UPS facility. If that happens, it's just a matter of adding the misspelled name to your list of residents at your address. In my case, for whatever reason, they only used the last 4 letters of my last name. Once I added that to my list of people, I was able to select to pick it up at the shipping center. Which kinda sucks, because it's across town from where I live and work and the UPS Store is a few blocks from where I work, but it'll be worth it to know that I won't have to wait and wonder if it's available somewhere for pickup. Might even be able to pick it up earlier than it would otherwise be delivered.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, my 6P is ready for pickup. Only problem? (recap) The UPS Store right by my work wasn't an option for location to pickup from, so I had to choose the Customer Center or whatever it's called across (small) town. Not a big deal, except that they're only open from 3:30-6. There goes my idea of snagging it at lunch and slacking off a bit for the rest of the day. But, I suppose I should just be happy that I'll have it back after work.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
3:30 - 6? Are they bankers?
I'm pretty sure it's because I think it's the main hub for at least the town &/or surrounding area. I don't get why I couldn't pick it up at the store & I intend to ask them if they know why their hours suck when I go there after work.

Sent from a backup S3 :(

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
@Jonny Kansas sucks to hear about the location and times for the pickup but glad to hear that you're finally getting your phone.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I really shouldn't complain. At least I was smart enough to set up to pick it up so I know I can get it back today instead of them trying to deliver it, requiring a signature, while I'm not home and having to wait at least an extra day after over 2 weeks of dealing with the S3. It got the job done, but I'm looking forward to having my Nexus back for sure.