Some Nexus 6P's back camera glass spontaneously shattering?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I mean, it's a repair job the way they described it. IF I get approved to have it fixed, that is. It's not like they're sending me a replacement. I can see how you'd expect a fast turn around there, but have you seen the iFixit info on that back glass? Looks like a PITA to replace. Now, they may have better equipment for doing such a thing, but it's still gotta travel to wherever it's going, go through check-in once it gets there, I'm sure, get fixed, (hopefully) go through some QA to ensure it was done properly and will last, then be sent back.

It may well have to go to China. That's where they're headquartered. They have a "hub" here in the States, but I'm wondering if that's more than a warehouse and/or call center. They may not be setup to do repairs here yet.

We'll see what happens. They may just deny me and then this will all be over. I'm hoping that's not the case, because that'll mean I'll think a LOT longer before I buy a device from then again. As I've said, I can live with this little crack. It's actually hard to see unless you know what you're looking for and where it is. If this is the worst it gets, then I can cope with that.

If I end up with dust and dirt blocking my camera or it shatters worse, They'll get a very aggressive piece of my mind.

I'd rather wait 2 weeks than have them rush it and do a crappy job/send me something worse than I'm sending them.

I've got the wife's old S3 that I can use while I wait. Sure, it'll suck for at least a few days while I learn to cope with the smaller screen and lower specs, but it'll still keep me in touch with people while I wait. IF they'll fix it.

So, if they say they won't fix it or fix it and then it happens spontaneously again, THAT's when I'll escalate the situation. I get what you're saying, but I'm not one to push until I have to push BACK. I'll give them the chance to make things right before I start blasting them. ;)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I mean, it's a repair job the way they described it. IF I get approved to have it fixed, that is. It's not like they're sending me a replacement. I can see how you'd expect a fast turn around there, but have you seen the iFixit info on that back glass? Looks like a PITA to replace. Now, they may have better equipment for doing such a thing, but it's still gotta travel to wherever it's going, go through check-in once it gets there, I'm sure, get fixed, (hopefully) go through some QA to ensure it was done properly and will last, then be sent back.

It may well have to go to China. That's where they're headquartered. They have a "hub" here in the States, but I'm wondering if that's more than a warehouse and/or call center. They may not be setup to do repairs here yet.

We'll see what happens. They may just deny me and then this will all be over. I'm hoping that's not the case, because that'll mean I'll think a LOT longer before I buy a device from then again. As I've said, I can live with this little crack. It's actually hard to see unless you know what you're looking for and where it is. If this is the worst it gets, then I can cope with that.

If I end up with dust and dirt blocking my camera or it shatters worse, They'll get a very aggressive piece of my mind.

I'd rather wait 2 weeks than have them rush it and do a crappy job/send me something worse than I'm sending them.

I've got the wife's old S3 that I can use while I wait. Sure, it'll suck for at least a few days while I learn to cope with the smaller screen and lower specs, but it'll still keep me in touch with people while I wait. IF they'll fix it.

So, if they say they won't fix it or fix it and then it happens spontaneously again, THAT's when I'll escalate the situation. I get what you're saying, but I'm not one to push until I have to push BACK. I'll give them the chance to make things right before I start blasting them. ;)
I guess I am looking at it like this. With all nexus devices they have some that release with a flaw and they know about it. Nexus 5 had a speaker issue, 6 had poor backplate adhesive, and 6P have a flaw with expansion somewhere causing the glass to crack. To meet demands they kick those devices and swap it with one that is a later production that corrects the flaw. Huawei by now knows this is a flaw and this is where they just do an even swap and move on. Especially with them trying to build a positive reputation in the states.
Then again you may have just a random person responding. As I remember dropping att because of an iPhone 3gs antenna issue. I ended up going Droid but to Apple's credit they took it upon themselves to reach out to me to make it right. There are many things about Apple that keeps me away but their product support is pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hopefully huawei do the same.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I'm hoping they'd send you a new one and just keep yours as a return.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
That'd certainly be faster. Would be nice if they sent the new one along with the return label and threatened to charge me for the new phone if I don't send mine in after a couple of days. But, I'm kinda stuck taking what I can get at this point. Hopefully they deem it a good idea to fix/replace and do so in a timely fashion. It's just a wait and see now though.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hello John and congratulation ,

Your out of warranty request has been approved , please contact us back so we may go ahead and process your shipping label for the free repairs.

best regards

The Huawei Support Team
About to call them.

UPDATE: Should have the shipping label in my email inbox by tomorrow morning or Friday morning at the latest. Already received an email with a list of what I should do prior to packing it up. Pretty detailed. Factory reset, remove Sim card, any case/skin/accessories...

Just fired up the wife's old S3 to at least get is started, install some apps, etc.

Gonna be a rough couple of weeks if it really take that long. I may have to go digging for an SD card. I put the one I used to use in phones in my Shield Tablet & "adopted" it thanks to Marshmallow. But this S3 is only 16GB. That tiny number scares me, but I suppose I won't be playing games on the S3 like I do on my 6P & there's no sense in having Play Music download my massive Thumbs Up playlist for a couple weeks of use since I mostly stream & add to that playlist anyway.

But that thing is slow & tiny compared to this beast. It'll be like waiting for the phone to ship all over again. Haha!

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Last edited:
OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
UPDATE 1.0.1:
Had to get a little heated with Huawei support. I received an email asking for proof of purchase. I checked out at gethuawei.com as a guest. Somehow, I accidentally deleted my invoice email. I had no proof of purchase available to me.

I had contacted support after my order was complete because I signed up for an account after the fact and my order didn't show on my account, even though my information matched up. I asked them if there was any way they could tie that order to my account on their end and was told no.

In my dealings with this crack on my back glass, they've looked up my order every time on the phone, no problem.

This time, the guy put me on hold after I'd explained all of that and asked if there was any way I could get my proof of purchase, then told me they couldn't repair it without proof of purchase. I explained to him that I understand that and that's why I called, then asked was there any way I could obtain a copy of my proof of purchase (again)?

He tries to tell me that I need to contact the Google Store. I repeated again that I purchased my phone direct from Huawei and I wasn't sure how Google was going to help me at all. He starts in on how my email address is a Google address. I say, "Yes. It's a gmail account, but I didn't purchase this device from Google. I purchased it directly from you at gethuawei.com. I have a hard time understanding how you can look up my order when I call, but can't fix my defective device without ME sending YOU proof of purchase, or how your repair department can't access my proof of purchase."

We go back and forth for a bit (the wife shut the bedroom door to protect my stepson's little ears) until he finally understands wtf I'm saying and asks me to verify my billing address, which I do. Then, suddenly, he's found my order. Then he tells me he can give me my order number. I ask if that will help me to get proof of purchase. "Oh yes. You can go to our website and put your information in with the order number and see your order." I ask again, and that will suffice as proof of purchase with the repair department so I can get my phone fixed? He assures me that it will.

Was that so hard!? That's all I was asking in the first place. I didn't have my proof of purchase and wanted him to explain to me how I could obtain it. That was my initial question after I explained to him my situation.

I did apologize to him for getting worked up, but as I told him, this was not a cheap device and it's already broken due to no fault of mine after only a few months and I just want to get it fixed, but I don't have and can't get the information I need that they already have.

I did not stay on the line to see if there was a survey this time like there was when I talked to the guy who verified my info and told me to expect a shipping label in my inbox in the next couple of days.

Here's hoping that shipping label shows up so I don't have to call again. I've had great interactions with their support team through this process besides this call and before my order even shipped, so I'm not going to hold this against the company as a whole at this point.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
UPDATE 2: Got my shipping label. My poor 6P is all packed up & ready to go to Texas.

At least now I know it's not going all the way back overseas.

Sent from a backup S3 :(

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
UPDATE 2: Got my shipping label. My poor 6P is all packed up & ready to go to Texas.

At least now I know it's not going all the way back overseas.

Maybe you'll get some BBQ coming back with it. Or it may meet a nic southern girl, decide to stay and have little nexiis. You can visit during the holidays.

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Maybe you'll get some BBQ coming back with it. Or it may meet a nic southern girl, decide to stay and have little nexiis. You can visit during the holidays.
Well, I do go to Kansas for thanksgiving... Haha!

But if that's the case, my wife is gonna be pissed when I make her surrender the Note 4 & stick her with this S3 again.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow JK. Just Wow. Here is hoping things go smoother.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man, I'm glad my attempts at buying through Huawei failed.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I was leery of the whole camera design on this device from the get go. It's a terrible design IMO.
Opinions aside, best of luck getting your device fixed JK!! I hope they get this resolved quickly & painlessly for you!

S5 tap'n

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was leery of the whole camera design on this device from the get go. It's a terrible design IMO.
Opinions aside, best of luck getting your device fixed JK!! I hope they get this resolved quickly & painlessly for you!

S5 tap'n
Opinions for sure. I really like the look of it and I've been completely pleased with the phone other than this issue. I've rocked this phone naked a good chunk of the time that I've had it because I like the unique look of it. I may not do so quite so often after I get it back just to be safe, but if this truly was the glass just giving in to pressure and failing like I believe it is, I doubt a case would've made any difference anyway.

Like I said before, this is totally something I could live with as long as it never got any worse, but I figured I should at least see if they'd make good on it since I know it wasn't caused by anything I did.

Looking at it closer in better light, it could almost be mistaken for a scratch. Who knows, maybe I'm overreacting and it IS just a scratch, but I'd rather send it to them and have them verify that and tell me they won't replace it than do nothing and have it fail worse.

I'm chalking up my last dealing with that rep as a misunderstanding of what I was asking, because everyone else I've dealt with on their support team has been incredibly friendly and helpful. Even that guy, I got gruff with him fairly quickly, but he kept his cool and didn't snap back at me or anything. I've gotta hand it to him for that.

I was telling my wife though, it'll be my luck that I'll send it in and they'll fix this little crack that I could've lived with and down the road, the whole glass will shatter spontaneously and they'll tell me I'm SOL because they already fixed it.

As far as the story of the OP goes and the pictures of examples from other instances of this defect, I think I got off very easy. The crack on mine didn't affect the camera or anything. It was purely cosmetic at the point it's at now, but I'm not taking the chance to hope that that crack doesn't provide a weak point for it to break further.

Considering that this story really disappeared about as quickly as it surfaced, I'd say it's a safe bet that it's a VERY small number of devices affected and I'm holding out hope that they've figured out what the issue was and will replace my glass with a better piece.

Only time will tell at this point. Of course, the UPS store here doesn't open until the time I have to be at work, so I'll have to wait until lunch time to take my package in and get it on its way.