1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Some more perspective on the DROID and multitouch

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by JhankG, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JhankG

JhankG New Member

This came from Engadget. Kind of baffling that multitouch wasn't built into Android 2.0.

Some more perspective on the DROID and multitouch

2. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

Nice find thanks. But already stated it has multi-touch in certain apps that allow it, just no the built in one. Which is why I think they will relook at it, and possible add it in a patch or firmware update.
  3. dlarej15

dlarej15 New Member

I agree, theres certain apps that pinch works on
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

The article mentions that 3rd party apps have multitouch, which is why it seems even stranger that it's not built into Android's browser, pictures, etc. Hopefully we'll see that patch soon.
  5. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

We deff all agree that it is very very strange that one model comes with it and the other does not. Which is what leads me to believe the final decision to leave it off, was a bad one, which is why they added it to the one from germany. I can only hope they rethink their dumb idea and bring it out for verizon's also.
  6. Getaphixx

Getaphixx New Member

I agree...

The only place I really used MT was on the iPhone's map.. Other than that I tapped to zoom in when browsing so it's really not a big thing there..

I guess I did use it on some of my pictures.. but really the Map thing I used more than any other app..
  7. jwd45244

jwd45244 New Member

Pinch-zoom is not enabled in the Android 2.0 browser that is shipping on the Moto Droid. That does not mean that multi-touch does not work on this unit. There is an app (Pic Say) that supports it and there is a video on the net showing it.

Pinch-zoom ^= Multi-touch. BTW, this is not the first time Engadget had something wrong. Their article was pure speculation.
  8. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I think you either misunderstood or didn't read the whole article. I know that the Droid is capable of multitouch as I have seen the videos of the app you mentioned. That is why it is so strange that it was not built into the native browser and picture viewer. According to the article, Apple does not have a patent on multitouch. Palm implemented it on their Pre and Apple has not said a word. The article was basically speculating on other possibilities of why they didn't include multitouch in 2.0 when it is obviously capable and is not a patent issue.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  9. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Did anyone notice in the new Verizon Eris video, the browser has pinch zooming? I think it was about the 4:30 mark.