1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Some guidance upgrading from 4.95 (Droid1)

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ck42, Jul 1, 2011.

1. ck42

ck42 New Member

Okay...so you can see that it's been a long while since I last updated, and even then, I've done this 2 or 3 times...so I'm REALLY sketchy on this!! :)

I want to do this right and wipe, instead of how I have done it before, w/o first wiping.

But....here's where I'm a little nervous. I have a LOT of apps installed...and many custom configs for these apps...that I do NOT want to lose. I have as many of the apps moved over to the SD card as is possible. I also would rather not have to go back and re-place all the app icons on the several screens I have created....if at all possible (tedious!)

From what I can tell, the wipe process will require me to re-download all my apps and install them again....MANUALLY.
    Is this correct?

So what happens to all the custom configs I had made for all these apps? Do I have to manually go back and re-setup everything again???
  2. btonetbone

btonetbone New Member

Use Titanium Backup before you wipe. Here are the settings in TiBu you will want to make sure you enable before backing up:
    - Auto-sync TB settings - checked
    - Normal apps - checked
    - Protected apps - checked
    - System apps - checked
    - Market link - checked
    - Restore backups to... - Original location
    - Mark as installed from - Android Market

Then, go to Batch and choose "Backup all user apps + system data"

Reboot to recovery, make an backup (just in case), wipe everything at least 1x, flash, reboot.

Do not sign into Google.

Go into Titanium Backup on your fresh install, and ensure that the settings from last time are still there. Then, go to Batch -> Restore missing apps with data. Make sure you have ONLY the apps you want restored selected; sometimes some odd things will make their way into this list. Restore apps + data.

I personally recommend manually restoring your accounts and other system settings, but you can also use TiBu for some of those.
  3. ck42

ck42 New Member

That sounds pretty simple, but it seems like I recall reading somewhere that it was recommended to NOT use something like TB to restore apps and data. Did I misinterpret something or have things changed so that this method is now accepted?
    Hoping so....

Also, not seeing options for:
    - System apps - checked
    - Mark as installed from - Android Market
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

I'd suggest that you do the full wipe, then restore only the apps using Titanium (not data too), and just reconfigure all of those apps manually for the new Chevy 5.4 GB ROM...might help you avoid conflicts in some of the settings
  5. ck42

ck42 New Member

I really was hoping that this wouldn't be necessary. I think I would be looking at SEVERAL hours of configuring to get the system set back up like it was before. I really don't have the time to do this.....or the desire. :(
    Is this a recommendation 'just to be safe' or a very strong hint because you're pretty sure something-somewhere is going to break?
  6. Mbk

Most issues associated with using Titanium to restore apps/data are usually associated with restoring the data part of the apps when installing a new ROM... but what you can do is as already mentioned, make a Nandroid of your current ROM, then do a full Titanium Back-Up including data, then go ahead and install SSv5.4 with a full wipe.... then do a full Titanium restore of all apps & all data and see if it takes without issues...

If it works out then you're good to go, but most issues that people report about Titanium is associated with the data restore as I mentioned and you asked about...
  7. ck42

ck42 New Member

So, what happens with my apps that are installed on the SD card?
    When I do a wipe, what happens to them? My intuitive guess is that the apps remain there after a wipe. If so, how does this play into the whole idea of 'desiring' to install the apps fresh again after an upgrade and rebuild the configs?
  8. Mbk

try the Titanium restore of all apps and all data to see if every app getys restored to where you want, if not then that is where you might run into issues. However if you make a nandroid you can always restore that should your Titanium restore of the apps doesn't turn out right in worst case scenarios....
  9. ck42

ck42 New Member

So...looking in TB right now using that option. I see a big list here. Each one is listed with either white, green, or red font. What does this indicate? Is there a way for it to show me those apps that would be restored to the SD card?
  10. Mbk

Under menu there is a legend of what the colors represent... just try to run a full batch restore and see how it turns out for you...
  11. ck42

ck42 New Member

Okay....I'm at the point right now where I'm staring at a freshly booted system after a full wipe (3x) and updated to 5.4. Haven't signed in yet. Looking at the "Welcome to Droid" screen.

Found this comment by another member and wanted to ask opinions.
    "I on the otherhand actually sign into Google when asked after a full wipe. Then I let all my market apps install automatically. Then I use titanium backup to restore the data only to all my market apps. I do not restore any system data at all. I have not had any issues doing this way."

This would seem like a nice way to do this - I let all my apps install naturally, instead of restoring from something like TB...and it does it for me - instead of having to hunt through the marketplace manually to find them all.

Recommendations for against this?
  12. Mbk

You would have to sign in to get Titanium anyways, so yeah you should sign in, and if all your apps do auto-reinstall, then that'd be great...but sometimes they don't all install except for paid apps....that's where Titanium becomes useful.... that and to restore app data...
  13. ck42

ck42 New Member

So I let it download "my apps" and it seems to have gotten most of them....but it certainly didn't get them all, for whatever reason.

One of those happened to be TB...of all apps.
    I reinstalled it, but now...it's telling me that it doesn't have root access.

Phone was rooted before this SS update...is there something I need to do to fix TB....???

[EDIT]
    Never mind. Fixed it.
  14. Mbk

You probably accidently denied Titanium root access...Go to Superuser and forget Titanium access, then to Titanium and clear data, then reopen Titanium to allow root access when asked again...
  15. undroid

undroid New Member

I personally haven't wiped in a long time and everything seems to work still :)

Sapphire -> Cyanogenmod (froyo) -> Bugless (gb) -> Simply Stunning 5.x

Only reason I updated to Bugless was it allowed my phone to boot. If I updated to any other GB rom I got stuck at the boot animation.?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  16. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Just so you know, there's an app that gets a lot more positive feeback than Titanium.

MyBackup or Mybackup Root

No issues have ever been reported "to my knowledge" when using this app to restore backups with any ROM. I know for a fact that no issues have been reported using it for SS 5.4. Check it out in the Market since it's free. You can backup virtually everything on your phone with it. When you backup your apps the first time, it also makes a backup of the MyBackup app onto the sdcard so when you wipe and flash and reboot, you don't have to redownload the app, just open it in the file manager and reinstall from there. Just my opinion but it seems to be a lot less troublesome and way more user friendly than Titanium Backup.