Some definitive answers please

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know there are a ton of posts already about the latest OTA update and the pros and cons of it, so please pardon me for posting my own, but I need some answers to a few basic questions before I proceed with the update. I have read 20 page threads and a million posts on the subject until my eyes are crossed, but have found more questions than answers.

The basics: I am on a rooted Droid 2, running stock ROM, overclocked to 1.4 GHz, I have Bootstrap recovery and all the goodies that go along with root access. I also am well aware that I will lose root access when I update, and I have no problem with rooting again after I update.

My questions:

1) After gaining root I did delete some of the Bloatware apps, such as Skype and a few others. Is this going to screw up the update and how do I fix this?

2) There has been alot of talk about manual updates VS the downloaded OTA, which one is easier and the least amount of hassle?

3) Is there a thread that I may have missed with explicit step by step instructions on doing the update and what to do if things go screwy?

4) What are the pros and cons of the newest update? Is it WORTH the hassle or is it just a basic update that removes my root access?

5) Will my data and settings be intact after the update?

Bottom line I do not want to turn my phone into a high dollar brick, I like to do my homework first before I jump into something like this, just like I did my homework before I rooted my phone the first time. I dont want a simple update to cause me a bunch of unnecessary grief. Thanks for any help and answers to my questions. This is a great forum, I have learned alot here. :)

EDIT: my phone tells me the update is available to me. So far I have told it "LATER"

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
Hope this helps.

My questions:

1) After gaining root I did delete some of the Bloatware apps, such as Skype and a few others. Is this going to screw up the update and how do I fix this?
My understanding is the preinstalled apps must be in place or the update will fail. I renamed mine instead of deleting, I named one incorrectly and my update failed 4 times. Once I corrected the name it worked fine.

2) There has been alot of talk about manual updates VS the downloaded OTA, which one is easier and the least amount of hassle?
To me OTA is easier, but I didn't try the manual update.

3) Is there a thread that I may have missed with explicit step by step instructions on doing the update and what to do if things go screwy?
I guess it depends on what screwy means to you, for me it just didn't work but did not prevent my phone from booting.

4) What are the pros and cons of the newest update? Is it WORTH the hassle or is it just a basic update that removes my root access?
Some people have reported better wifi connectivity, better 3G connections and even better battery life.

5) Will my data and settings be intact after the update?
Yes.

Bottom line I do not want to turn my phone into a high dollar brick, I like to do my homework first before I jump into something like this, just like I did my homework before I rooted my phone the first time. I dont want a simple update to cause me a bunch of unnecessary grief. Thanks for any help and answers to my questions. This is a great forum, I have learned alot here. :)

EDIT: my phone tells me the update is available to me. So far I have told it "LATER"

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks pool_shark, I guess I am screwed because I don't even remember which apps I uninstalled, other than Skype, and I would have no clue how to find out or how to rename them anyway. Any ideas? Is there a way to tell what I have uninstalled?

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Will doing a factory reset back to square one fix the uninstalled Bloat apps problem? Then just do the update re-root and start over? Sounds like I should decline the update and roll without it.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will doing a factory reset back to square one fix the uninstalled Bloat apps problem? Then just do the update re-root and start over? Sounds like I should decline the update and roll without it.

No it will not. All it will do is clear your data and your unpaid apps.

Reaction score

Poolshark forgot to add that contact scrolling is a lot smoother, it has a very fast and snappy response. It's not slow/difficult to use anymore.

I'm thinking the best thing u can do is just load up an old recovery of your unrooted/untouched phone if you have one. If u don't have one, i guess just do a factory reset. My phone was rooted before the update, I think the update is worth it. I simply re rooted.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

No it will not. All it will do is clear your data and your unpaid apps.

Thanks. So I guess there's no way to fix it, and I should just decline the update and go with it as is? I'm quite happy with my phone the way it is anyway.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Poolshark forgot to add that contact scrolling is a lot smoother, it has a very fast and snappy response. It's not slow/difficult to use anymore.

I'm thinking the best thing u can do is just load up an old recovery of your unrooted/untouched phone if you have one. If u don't have one, i guess just do a factory reset. My phone was rooted before the update, I think the update is worth it. I simply re rooted.

Thanks but it looks like I wont be able to update anyway since I deleted bloatware after I rooted. :)

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK according to my Titanium backup, the two Bloatware apps I uninstalled were Skype Mobile and City ID... Skype Mobile is available from the market, but City ID is not. Does this mean I'm screwed as far as updating to 2.3?

event121

Reaction score

Do this is you backed up when those apps were there. Otherwise, get the .apk for city id, or flash the .sbf.

I flashed the .sbf and let my phone go unused over the weekend.

In the end, think of these two things:
1. Am I happy with my phone? We root and mess with stuff to make it more enjoyable to use.
or
2. If I let my phone stay in this state, will there be support for it if everyone else updated? Do I need support?

If 1, leave alone :D
If 2, fix it and I'd go for a backup or .apk before flashing the .sbf

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
OK according to my Titanium backup, the two Bloatware apps I uninstalled were Skype Mobile and City ID... Skype Mobile is available from the market, but City ID is not. Does this mean I'm screwed as far as updating to 2.3?

Messed up - Can someone send me the Cityid.apk for 2.2 - Android Forums

Ahhh, thanks again pool_shark, I already found the file by doing a handy Google search... however being a noob, I have NO clue what to do with the file or where it goes to restore City ID so I can update and re-root my phone LOL

Sorry for being a PITA... this is driving me nuts LOL :icon_eek:

event121

Reaction score

Messed up - Can someone send me the Cityid.apk for 2.2 - Android Forums

Ahhh, thanks again pool_shark, I already found the file by doing a handy Google search... however being a noob, I have NO clue what to do with the file or where it goes to restore City ID so I can update and re-root my phone LOL

Use a file explorer with root access to put the .apk in /system/apps where all the others are. Longpress on it and assign permissions.
Post #4
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/angdroid/87770-droid-2-hacking-guide.html

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Use a file explorer with root access to put the .apk in /system/apps where all the others are. Longpress on it and assign permissions.
Post #4

I have a file explorer, "Super Manager", and I browsed through it and found the system/app folder ... I take it I need to transfer it from my computer to my phone using the USB cable? And Thank you! :)

event121

Reaction score

Post #4

I have a file explorer, "Super Manager", and I browsed through it and found the system/app folder ... I take it I need to transfer it from my computer to my phone using the USB cable? And Thank you! :)

That's correct!