some basic questions about roms/themes

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by greg4501, Aug 9, 2010.

1. greg4501

greg4501 New Member

Some basic questions here, i just rooted over the weekend so i'm very new to it.

I'm running bugless beast 0.4 with Froyo 2.2
    and i'm running the red glass theme..

my questions are mainly about switching out roms/themes.
    Ok so i just did a nandroid backup..and i want to intall a new theme..can i just go ahead and install it over the theme i have now?
    and if i want to go back to that theme with all my data, do i just do the backup?
    also do i have to clear the cache everytime? stupid question but when i did that the first time i lost everything i had O_O

Now with roms, how does that work? If i want to change out roms i mean.
    theres a theme i want that doesnt work with the current rom i have.

Just wanted to ask before i do anything on my own and cause problems.
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

My basic thoughts are this:

If you on a ROM and want a different theme, make a nandroid backup and then install the new theme over the old one. Now, there is a good change something or many things will look wrong. This means you should flash the stock ROM back and THEN install the new theme you want.

As for flashing a new ROM, I suggest using a program like Titanium Backup (free) and do a full backup of your apps and data. Then make a nandroid backup. Then wipe your data and cache a few times just to make sure you are clean, and now you can install the new ROM. After the ROM boots up you can then use Titanium Backup to restore all your apps, data, and home setup.
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

You should be able to place a theme right over another theme without wiping, (when it comes to installing a new ROM is when you want to worry about wiping). After installing a new theme you will be prompted to sign back into your Google, facebook, and possibly twitter accounts (mabye some others) and if anything goes wrong (not all themes are compatable) you have your nandroid to fall back on which will bring you right back to where you were when you made it.

You will know something is not right if your phone does not boot past the (M) gets stuck in a boot loop, or a bunch of apps force close when you try to access them. Simply power down and boot up while holding power and x into recovery and restore your backup

Or with Bugless, at any time hold power and x and you go right into recovery
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

icculus, at least you didn't say one thing and then here I come along and say something completely different...that would be confusing ; )

Any other questions Greg please feel free to ask
  5. greg4501

greg4501 New Member

Forgive me if i don't fully understand..but when you say flash the stock rom back, how do i do that? you mean return to before i installed a rom, correct? i have titanium backup and backed up everything..how do i go about wiping the data and clearing the cache?

from what i understand, if i want a new theme (to work fully and look right), i should re-install a fresh rom, then install the theme. and for a new rom, backup the data and wipe out and clear everything before installing a new rom.
  6. greg4501

greg4501 New Member

Haha, yes that would be a little confusing..thank you for the response :)
  7. icculusX

Hah.

greg4501 - yes, I mean the stock fresh rom. Just to make sure everyhting is not themed. This is not needed, but best for no issues...
  8. greg4501

greg4501 New Member

Oh i have one more question..is a nandroid backup just your data and stuff, or is it the full theme you were on when you backed up?
  9. icculusX

Nandroid is the entire state of the phone at that time. So if you royally eff up your phone you can just flash back and your perfect! Have a blast!!!!!!
  10. greg4501

greg4501 New Member

Well i installed the luna theme and it worked fine but some of the icons are still red, and the wallpaper is still the same. so its mostly blue but has some red icons and stuff. it definitely doesnt look as good as it should. so if i wanted to flash the rom back..would i just go to rom manager and just re-install bugless beast? i have yet to change roms or mess with it so im a little nervous about doing that without asking.