some apps not installing

billyanks2

Reaction score
I've been trying to install 9 innings baseball and some other app (i forgot which) on my x. they both download all the way, then fail in the installation phase. the error message i get is "Installation failed. Could not install on SD Card or USB mass storage."

I've successfully installed a few other apps since seeing te error (though i pulled those apps, the ones in question were pushed from market.android.com).

any ideas?

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
initially, i accessed the android market from my laptop's browser and had the apps pushed to my phone. i then tried getting them directly from the market app on my phone, neither worked. I've had apps pushed and pulled that have worked since the failing of this one, this one consistently fails though.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
you are aware that in "mass storage" mode your phone unmounts your SD card making it unrecognizable by your phone. Mass storage mode acts like a USB thumb drive. You could do one of two things:

Move the file from where it is downloaded on your computer to your SD card by dragging and dropping the file. Once its on your SD card disconnect it from the comp and wait for the SD card to remount. Once that happens find the file on your SD card and manually install it.

or

Try putting your phone in PC mode to see if it will transfer that way as PC mode doesn't unmount your SD card.

Also if you are hooked up to your computer in mass storage mode trying to DL something from the market using your phone you may get the same fail message if it is trying to install something to your SD card.

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
yes. I just tried downloading it directly from the market with my phone unplugged. still fails. the error message reads "Installation error: couldn't install on usb storage or SD card."

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
some apps are installing and updating properly, but cestos 2 just failed to update in addition to the problems i've got with this install.

Mrbig

Reaction score
Unmount your sd card. Download and install app from market on your phone. Mount your sd card. Problem solved.

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
Unmount your sd card. Download and install app from market on your phone. Mount your sd card. Problem solved.

Sent from my DROIDX

This worked, still confused about the problem though, and i hope it doesn't occur with other apps or when i update the problematic ones. Thanks.

Mrbig

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Haven't found a permanent fix. I have to unmount everyone on certain apps when updating. It also seems that this happens only on larger apps, for me at least...cordy, 9 innings baseball..etc The apps will download correctly but won't install. So must be an issue with the sd card, like someone previously stated. Taking my phone in to verizon store and will let you know if they are any help.

Sent from my DROIDX

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

Sent from my DROIDX

This worked, still confused about the problem though, and i hope it doesn't occur with other apps or when i update the problematic ones. Thanks.

Yes, I too am looking for a fix and not just a PITA work around.

OP
B

billyanks2

Reaction score
Are all of you stock?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

yes and it's become much more annoying than before. (sporcle, stumble upon and one other app also wouldn't install). i really hope this doesn't screw with th gb update next week.

Waynegrow

Reaction score
Same problem unable to install some apps from market

Hello,

I thought I would add my two cents here. I have the same issue where I try to install certain apps from the android market place and I get the error about unable to install to SD card. If I unmount the card it works. I even went as far as wiping my phone and still had the issue after the wipe. I also noticed that my Win 7 PC at home no longer detects my phone when I plug it in via usb. My phone is stock and after the wipe I had only the default apps and tried to download one that I know would have the issue (Frogger & Andro IRC).

Thanks,

Wayne