Solutions to low available RAM?

ENOTTY

Reaction score
Hello,

My Droid has only 256 MB of RAM and it is not enough for me. I have (and need) like 14-20 different background processes (according to Memory Usage)

Everytime I pull up an app and then switch out of it by pressing the Home button, my homescreen (ADW) needs to reload. I believe this is because ADW is getting killed by Android on because of memory pressure.

I'd like to stop this from happening and I see two solutions to this:

1) On Linux, one can add swap space to increase the available memory for the system. It's way slow but at least it avoids killing applications. How can I do this on Android?

2) I want to twiddle the application priorities. ADW is listed as having priority 400, which is the highest of my apps so it gets killed first. That isn't the right solution here. The homescreen is the most important app for me, so I'd like it to have maximum priority.

I'm willing to root or install a custom ROM because this issue is getting way too annoying to ignore.

Thanks

P.S. I know you can check the "make persistent" setting in ADW (which sets the priority level to 100), and that solves the issue for ADW specifically, but I'd like to run more services than I have now and right now that is impossible. For example, using Dolphin and then switching to another application almost always causes a reload of the page, probably because Android killed Dolphin due to memory pressure. In order to decrease this from happening, I had to stop using IRC on my phone.

devinhfox

Reaction score
Try sapphire, enable compcache.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

harrellj

Reaction score
I'd suggest doing a search for redraws on this forum, lots of people dealing with the issue with several different solutions to try.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
There are also apps that can be moved to the SD card.